Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Wierd Thought or General Question
tom
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 681 Posts
KitMaker Network: 193 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2004 - 10:40 PM UTC
Lately I have been not in the mode to do any models but when I have read about Oil Paints and bought them. I have thought myself as an artist. Instead of a canvas, we use 3 D plastics to express or selfs in many different ways and subjects.

Question is:

Do you consider yourself a modeler or and artist? Why do you think of yourself that way.

Is it just me sounding wierd or are there others that think that way.

Happy Modeling

P.S. Hope I explained it so you can understand what I am asking. #:-)
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2004 - 10:42 PM UTC
I am a "Modelist"

Artistically rendering a scene in 3D. For me it's more Art than modeling. I prefer to build OOTB and I don't have to much issue with Artistic license. I go for overall appearance first then accuracy.

I think those people who go after super accuracy are Modelers first then artists second.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2004 - 10:45 PM UTC
Ola Tom

This reminds me of a Joke I heard several years ago. It probably sounds better in dutch but here we go.

A man stands in Court and the judge asks what he is doing for proffesion.
Calmly the man answers: "I`m an artist"
So says the judge and what do you make?
Umbrella`s the man replies.
On wich the Judge says: Well that is not really an art isn`t it?
The man: Have you ever tried to make one?

No real answer still funny

flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2004 - 11:00 PM UTC
Interesting thought.
I consider myself as an artist or a designer...after all its what I've been doing for my career for 35 years...and hope to get away with it for a few more...lol.
And I model stuff.
Judging by what I see on site I can honestly say many of our modellers are artisrts.
There are many similarities between model-making and what are considered as the fine arts.
Perspective, light and shade, composition, the use of colours are all essential skills required for both.

Also if you look at some of the scatch building you see on site, it makes you realise there are artistic traights in abundance.
A very artistic eye is required for figures and dios especially, but also is evident for all the other types of subject too.

Artists are here if not in the traditional sense but they are here...definitely.

Cheers
Peter

:-)
steeldog51
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,114 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2004 - 11:17 PM UTC
Yeah artist frst modeller second i guess for me ?
i'm all for atristic licsense
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2004 - 11:25 PM UTC
sculptor Noun 1. an artist who creates sculptures.

sculpture Noun 1. A three dimensional work of plastic art.
2. Making figures or designs in three dimensions.
I guess it depend on what dictionary you use.

Taken from "WebWord" a rather nice free download dictionary.
http://wordweb.info/
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 12:10 AM UTC
At one time, I'd have thoughtit the height of arrogance to think myself an artist. I've rethought that through the years and have decided that, yes, I am an artist. My media are different from the more traditional arts, but my goal is to give life to the model I build and the figures I paint.
IMHO, there's a continuum from the 7 year old who buys models as make and breaks to the super-detailer whose model is the epitome of a real subject, reduced in size and given a scale appearance.
It is similar to the question that would be asked in the sport of running. Are you a jogger or are you a runner? The answer is in the heart of the participant.
Art
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 604 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 04:10 AM UTC
I guess we are all artists, in that an artist creates something from nothing, or at least from very basic materials, and should possess the skills that are exhibited here every day: Imagination, patience, etc. Faust may have the best response to any critic: Let's see you do this!

Art
tom
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 681 Posts
KitMaker Network: 193 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 05:22 AM UTC
Did this again and again. :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) #:-)

That sounds great, I thought I was weird. I didn't think of myself as and artist '; till today. I just thought it was a hobby.

Then again can someone make as much money as a real canvas artist, or even become part of history like some of the famous artist of recorded history.

Just a thought

Happy Modeling
steeldog51
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 05:30 AM UTC
Well tom i make a living from it , maybe not rich yet or ever but its enjoyable :-) as for history well i'm sure the likes of francois verlinden and bob letterman not to mention mr tamiya will be remembered in the years to come ,this is a whole new era i guess ,the likes of which wernt ever seen in van gochs day
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 6,391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,600 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 07:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

,this is a whole new era i guess ,the likes of which wernt ever seen in van gochs day

Remember, that during his life Van Gogh was not regarded at all. His art was looked upon as ' rubbish, won't last a day'. Sometimes art is not appreciated untill later. You never know, one day your 'sherman A4A3' might sell at auction for 20 million dollars :-) :-) :-) :-) .

Henk
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 09:53 AM UTC
Both, my painting teacher said that modeling helps out in the art field. I can't paint a picture at all. It turns out bad, but I can paind and detail an aircraft for you! It actually is an art in itself!

~Chip :-)
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 10:45 AM UTC
Well i consider my self as both. I can remember drawing through out my life. This is a true story, when i was younger it was hard for me to afford models. So i would draw them, both sides, top and bottom. Cut and put together, mostly race cars and some military stuff. This one will get you, for glue....... i'd use gum or pancake syrup. No bull. But if i must choose, artist i love the pencil.
steeldog51
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 03:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

,this is a whole new era i guess ,the likes of which wernt ever seen in van gochs day

Remember, that during his life Van Gogh was not regarded at all. His art was looked upon as ' rubbish, won't last a day'. Sometimes art is not appreciated untill later. You never know, one day your 'sherman A4A3' might sell at auction for 20 million dollars :-) :-) :-) :-) .

Henk

:-) :-) :-) :-) Thats true they say artists arnt famous until they are dead! :-) :-)