_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Canada
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
RCR Model Exposition
JP_Morgan
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 34 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 12:17 AM UTC
I was made aware of this endeavour just the other day, so I thought that I should post here for the benefit of any Ex-Royals who frequent this site and may not have been aware of what The Regt was up to. Contact the curator (info at bottom) if you are interested.

Anyone here going to take up the Regt's challenge?

Cheers,
JP

The Royal Canadian Regiment Museum
Scale Model Exhibition, January/June 2005

The RCR Museum will be conducting an exhibition featuring scale models of regimental subject matter built by members of the regimental family. This exhibit will take place at the Museum during the winter of 2005. It is anticipated that members wishing to submit an item for this exhibit will have approximately eight months to research and complete the work.

The anticipated outcomes of this exhibition are:

1- To generate an interest in the history of The Royal Canadian Regiment
This will be achieved by restricting entries to a subject matter relevant to The Regiment. All submissions must have a direct relationship to the history of The Regiment. This can include an event, a piece of equipment or a figure. However, any submission must be accompanied with a 200 to 300 word description of the event or action being depicted by the submission with appropriate references and if available, source photos.

2- To give an opportunity to exhibit the skills and talents of members of the regimental family.
This will be achieved by the submissions them selves. We will be looking for a number of different categories of submissions including “scratch built”, “kit bashed” and basic kit construction. Within each of these categories model skills will be shown that will not only attest to the attention to detail but will show superior levels of technical and artistic talent by the builder.

3- To educate the public in the history of The Royal Canadian Regiment
This will be achieved by placing the models submitted to the Museum in the galleries during the special exhibition time frame (January to June 20050. The RCR Museum is anticipating a special advertising campaign to be conducted to draw attention to this special exhibit which should be of interest not only to members of the general public but also to military history enthusiasts, model builders and miniaturists.

4- Long term museum benefits
Following the exhibition, it is hoped that some of the modelers may wish to leave some of the items with the Museum. Should this be the case it is anticipated that we may be in a position to include several of these in new exhibits as the Museum expands its galleries in the future. Any models donated to the Museum will be eligible for an income tax receipt based on the estimated value of the model. A letter of appreciation will be issued by the Museum to the donor of the model. Models of particular interest to specific Battalions may be placed on exhibit with those Battalions

5. Recognition of the modeler
At the opening of the exhibition all members present will be asked to select his/her favorite submission. This will be done by written ballet and a plaque will be presented to the winner of each of three categories. In addition to this, every person submitting a model for this exhibit will be recognized on the label of the model and will receive a certificate of appreciation for their participation in this exhibition.

General Guide lines for members wishing to submit a model.

1. Modeler’s Affiliation
Modelers must be members of the Regimental Family. This will include all serving members of The Regiment, regular and reserve forces, all members of The Royal Canadian Regiment Association and staff and members of affiliated cadet units.

In special circumstances, members of the public with no formal affiliation to The Regiment may be sponsored by a regimental family member. In such a chase, a letter stating why this individual’s submission should be included, will be required form the individual proposing the inclusion.

2. Model Subject Matter
The subject of the models must have relevance to The Regiment. All periods of regimental history may be used as subject matter. Examples may include but are not limited to;
a) figurines in Regimental period uniform
b) vehicles used by The Regiment wearing specific regimental designations,
c) dioramas of specific engagements involving units of The Regiment.

For large project, team efforts are encouraged.

3. Display of Models
Every effort will be made to accommodate all qualified submissions, however, room is limited and depending on the number of submissions, some models may not be displayed.

4. Information Needed for Display
All models must be submitted to The RCR Museum ready for display. Unfortunately the Museum does not have the staff or the resources to complete submissions. The Museum will generate a label for the model. This label will include such information as submitted by the creator of the model. Each label will name the modeler and give his/her affiliation with The Regiment, the type of model (scratch built, kit bashed or kit, scale, etc) and will give a short historical background of the subject depicted by the model.

5- Categories
There will be three categories for this exhibit. The categories will not be a deciding factor on where or how the items will be displayed. These three categories will be:

a) Scratch Built
A submission that is built without the use of a purchased kit. Some detailing may be purchased. However, more than 80% MUST be from a non-kit source. A major diorama of a particular action in which The Regiment was engaged (i.e.-The Gully, Victory at Paardeberg, etc.) where significant work has been placed on the scenery may qualify in this category.

b) Kit Bashed
This project may originate from a commercial kit but will have significant alterations made by the modeler. 25% to 50% of this project should consist of alterations made by the modeler to accurately reflect a specific item or situation.

c) Kit Built
This project may have some minor alterations but such alterations should be limited to 25% or less of the total project.

6. Timings
a) Letter of intent by 01June 04 (this deadline has been waived, but contact the Curator)
Please forward a letter of intent to the museum curator indicating that you are planning to put a model together for this exhibition. Give a brief description of your project and an approximate size of the final work (if it is to be mounted on a base, give the size of the base).

b) Submission of final project by 01 Dec 04
Your final project with all supporting documentation should reach The Royal Canadian Regiment Museum NLT 01 Dec 04. We will need the several weeks to draft labels and mount the exhibit. In rare circumstances we may be able to negotiate a late arrival of a specific project but there will be no guarantees that the project will make it into the exhibit.

The method of delivery to the Museum of the project will be up to the person creating the model. The Museum staff can give advice on packing techniques if the model is to be shipped. All packing materials will be saved for retune shipment.

If “shipments of opportunity” presents them selves, we will take deliver of modes well in advance of the due date to accommodate such deliveries. Please advise the Museum of pending arrivals so that we may be in a prepared position to receive the model.

c) Exhibition Opening 1930 21 Jan 05
A formal exhibition opening will take place at the museum on 21 Jan 05 at 1930 hrs. All members of the Regimental Family will be invited and if the creators of the models can be present that would be an added bonus. Details for this event are still to be worked out.

d) Exhibition Closing June 05
We will maintain the exhibit until the end of June in order to take full advantage of the school year and promote its existence in the school system as not only a means of learning about Canada’s military history, but also to offer the teachers an example of a different way of interpreting history. The models will be removed from display on the first Monday after the close of the exhibit and will be made ready for pick-up/retune shipment any time after that date.

e) Pickup or Return shipping
The original packing materials in which the model was forwarded to the Museum will be retained and used for the return shipment. The Museum will cover the cost of return shipment by surface carrier. If possible, “shipments of opportunity” will used.

For further information please contact:

Claus Breede
Curator
The Royal Canadian Regiment Museum
750 Elizabeth Street
London, Ontario
N5Y 4T7
519-660-5275 ex 5015
[email protected]
PEIRECCE
Visit this Community
Prince Edward Island, Canada
entire network: 117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 56 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 08:07 PM UTC
Hey JP,

Welcome home!

Mark
ex-royal
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,009 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 08:29 PM UTC
Hey JP.
Thanks for the info . I have a project underway just for this worthwhile endeavour. My only concern is getting it done in time. Good to see you back as well.
Cheers,
Bryan
JP_Morgan
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 05:49 AM UTC
Thanks!
JP_Morgan
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 05:57 AM UTC
What is your project, Bryan? Doing something from your service days?

Have you contacted the museum already? If so, did you get any indication as to what exhibits they are still looking for to fill holes?

Cheers,
JP
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,698 Posts
KitMaker Network: 130 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 07:28 AM UTC
Hey Jeep, didn't know you were on the boards here.

I was with 2 RCR on Op PAL roto 4... think that would count? I'd like to make a AVGP , Wolf , or TUA.
ex-royal
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,009 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 09:10 AM UTC
Hey JP,
I am doing a ww2 themed entry of the regiment in Italy, this was the perfect excuse to resurect my long abandoned Bren carrier project. . I havent got a reply yet to my email so Im hoping I can still get in.
Cheers,
Bryan
JP_Morgan
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 08:06 AM UTC
Bryan,

Doing a WWII theme, not something from your own service? I was hoping to do something of a 'battledress' nature and something more modern, but time may not be on my side either.

BTW, what Bn(s) were you in, and when? We might have crossed paths at some point.

Cheers,
JP
JP_Morgan
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 08:08 AM UTC
Stormfront -

"RCR by association", so to speak, eh? Why not give it a try.

Ubique!
JP
RayW
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 848 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2004 - 03:42 AM UTC
Well although ex-military, I'm not a Royal, too bad I'm in the process of doing a 120mm Figure of a RCR Cpl in the Boer War. I'm doing a minor conversion of a Firing Line Figure.

Cheers

Ray
JP_Morgan
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 03:08 AM UTC
Ray,

>doing a 120mm Figure of a RCR Cpl in the Boer War. I'm doing a minor conversion of a Firing Line Figure.

Will that be the 'Dawn of Majuba' pose? Which Firing Line figure?

Cheers,
JP

RayW
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 848 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 03:34 AM UTC
Hi JP,

Its the 1st Welsh Regiment. Nice figure I'm disappointed in the Lee Enfield Mk I rifle but overall the figure is nice. It has nice Slade wallace webgear but I'll be replacing it for Oliver Pattern. I also did a 1/16 Conversion of a Dragon figure into a RCR - Yukon Force, its in my gallery on this site. I used a Verlinden head, the webgear, hat, and rifle are all scratchbuilt. I'm also doing a Sgt. Richardson, LDSH Boer War for Chicago next year.

Cheers

Ray
JP_Morgan
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, October 02, 2004 - 09:56 PM UTC
Ray,

Pardon the posting delay.

Checked out your other figures in your gallery - nice work! I'm looking forward to seeing your 'Royal' when completed.

Cheers,
JP
Logan
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 523 Posts
KitMaker Network: 55 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 04, 2004 - 06:34 AM UTC
JP

I know an Ex-Royal, does that count??

Seriously, I am working on a Grizz that you may wish to consider/support.

Tom
 _GOTOTOP