_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Why I don't compete
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 06:03 AM UTC
I finally figured out what is wrong in Dallas. We have two model shows here a year. One from the Dallas based IPMS in May and one from the Ft Worth IPMS in Septemeber. Pretty much the same group of modelers. In the Armor category pretty much the same guy wins all the time. His work is flawless, but I never truely liked it and I figured out this time why. He doesn't weather !!!!!!!!!!!!!! He uses the "Shep Paine" method of modeling which is shading using different colors. SOrry folks, but tanks don't weather in perfect straight lines. It dawned on me while I ooked at two of his entries. He first sprayed Pannzer grey, then lightened into white. Problem is (too me anyway) Is that all the lines are straight and perfect. He doesn't make it filthy or torn up even though vehicles are covered with gear. Kits were a Stug lll and a Panzer lll and looked exactly the same.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 06:18 AM UTC
I don't compete either. I bring my kits to model shows to show my friends what I've been working on. Then I check out the vast array of models on tables and make the mandatory trip trough the vendor tables to find that kit I just have to have or the bargin I just can't pass by.

If I win a trophy, that's real neat. If I don't, oh well, I didn't bring my kits to compete. I brought my kits to show. If no one brought any kits to show, there'd be no show.
steeldog51
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,114 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 08:36 AM UTC
Hi Steve Hi Robin !
i know that very same feeling!
i dont compete at all, i much prefer talking to others about how ,i and, or they ,did something ,this is what enriches the hobby!
not aggresive competition. and some modelers are just that( i obviously dont speak for the majority) ! i have been a competition judge at a fantasy painting comp ,and have seen modelers who are used to winning stamping on their models because they didnt get gold ,i have seen them rip up their "highly commended" certs,granted this is pretty hard line stuff ,and a rare event ,theres a lot of fun in compettion ,
but it also takes a lot of the fun away ,particularily when someone seems to win all the time , most people i have spoken to who abstaine, dont feel like they would ever have their models judged properly ,and that judges seem to have an already pre concieved idea about who should win (the same guy again???)
suffice to say they, and i ,certainly feel that a lot of (but not all),competitions have become too eliteist!
where the work of an intermediate modeler would pale in comparison to the master and be almost overlooked so to speak! but this is where sites like armorama are invaluable where beginner and advanced modeller thrive of each other ,heck i've never been so inspired ,as when i joined a short time ago! it gives everyone a chance to emulate and aspire too the next level of advancment in standards ,theres room for improvment in us all, keep up the ace work armorama K
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 12:26 PM UTC
For the past two years, I always bring 3 -4 models I have completed to the show. We have a non-competition table. The usual winner knows my work and frankly I think he is starting to be glad I am not competing. I judged last year and of course all the great tips I've learned from our "Masters" here have definitely upgraded my work. I think my next purchse is (outside of detail stuff for that 72nd scale U-boat and that monster 350 scale Nimitz) is going to be that Trumpeter German tank transporter kit. I saw one of those built and it is a beauty. inexpensive too !!!!!!!
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 12:36 PM UTC
Man i was hoping that someone would bring this up someday. Alright, first thing. I hope i don't offend anyone out there who belongs to an IPMS club. It's not that i dislike the IPMS group in whole, just the Buffalo, NY chapter. In buffalo, you have to belong to the club AND you have to be in the click. The last ten years it's been the same guys winning. Just this year, one guy won 11 times. a 11 times in a ship category. Heck, they don't even judge. Sad part though, the attendance gets smaller by the year as well as the vendors.
steeldog51
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 01:05 PM UTC
Yeah! its really sad isnt it! a real shame! K
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,250 Posts
KitMaker Network: 266 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 01:48 PM UTC
Hey Guys,

Not all shows are like that and I think it is all how you take it and what your personal attitude is. If you go there thinking your going to win with everything you enter you will be disapointed for sure, while if you show up with your kits with open mind and can accept some people just are better then you, you will do just fine. and have a good time.

I personally love to show and to compete, not agains others as much, but more to see what skill level you are at. Sure I have gotten ripped off a few times, but hey, it is ok, it will just make the person who won be more encouraged to try win again next year, which in turn will help him grow as a modeler. And at same time people who don't win will try harder, unless they think all the judges are blind and their stuff is the best there is and then they might as well just pack up and quit.

The main thing about shows are the people and the companionship though, althogh I seriosly doubt that anyone would show up to a show that was a show only, and not a competition.
Rattler
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 512 Posts
KitMaker Network: 79 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 03:02 PM UTC
I don't compete anymore Myself but I do love to see people's works an learn what tips they imployed to bring the kits to life. but on the other side of that...Well I guess I'll throw in My 2 cents worth in RE: the D/FW area IPMS crews. Well hate to be blunt bout it but its a good ole boys style judging and contest. Every year I've gone it’s the same folks judging and winning. I used to be an IPMS member for the Ft.Hood chapter. But due to all the political rubbish that had been going on for years. Well we opt to just drop them. So we did. Austin is the same style as well as San Antonio. All good ole boy style judging an set up. If your in the click your sure to win at least min a 3rd place.

I've saw it in 90 before I deployed. and still see it today in the D/FW chaperts..

anyways.

Chris

p.s. if your a member of iether of those chapters. sorry but just saying what I've been shown.
IanSadler
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 324 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 06:46 PM UTC
Hi all , this not a problem confined to the USA it happens all over the world at club shows , However at two shows I attend in the UK , There are no comps . A panel of Judges walk round all the club stands and pick out the model they think is best . Then they add up the names and see who has come out on top.
I was suprised last year when I was given a very impressive medal for one of my models . It was only after this award that I learnt of their method of fair Judging . cheers ian
steeldog51
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 07:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all , this not a problem confined to the USA it happens all over the world at club shows , However at two shows I attend in the UK , There are no comps . A panel of Judges walk round all the club stands and pick out the model they think is best . Then they add up the names and see who has come out on top.
I was suprised last year when I was given a very impressive medal for one of my models . It was only after this award that I learnt of their method of fair Judging . cheers ian

You see thats more like it! ace approach to it ithink!
steeldog51
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 07:41 PM UTC
Oh and congrats Ian on the medal! well done mate!!!
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 10:53 PM UTC
Been there, done that.

I used to compete on a regular basis, but have only done so once in the last five or so years. I decided that it was time to 'move over'. Now (and not to 'toot' here) I have stacks of plaques and rows of trophys that are just taking up space and collecting dust and one of these days I'll get real ambitious and give them all the heave-ho with perhaps the exception of the 'special' awards.

It is nice to look around and to see what everyone is doing now-a-days at shows but, my attendence has also been drastically reduced. It is good to see that the fun is still there at competitions.

Now I show my stuff on my website and get my awards fix there. The awards don't take up any (physical) room and the only dust being collected is on my keyboard. (Well, perhaps on my personality as well.)

Besides, I can't handle all the :-)8 anymore. :-)
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 12:33 AM UTC
Well ...I still compete a bit but I really don't care if I win or lose ,I've driven 200 miles and not even bother to put my kits in the competion... It is much more about all my modelling friends getting together for a fun week end... Sure it is nice to know that my work is appreciated but I have always believed that modelling is not a competion and is personal ... If I like it .. Cool. Hey I'm about to drive 9 hours to get to the show in Halifax... Much more to see Mark Bannerman, Arthur Seluka and the other boys than to win a gold ...Road trips are fun ..

Rick
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 414 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 12:54 AM UTC
Well, somebody had the OO's to bring up this subject. Good.

I, too, no longer compete. Competing was enjoyable at one time but traveling, renting a room, eating bad food, standing around for hours waiting to go collect some more wall decorations is no longer that appealing. At some point you have to realize you are simply 'collecting' awards. What's the point? Some years ago I knew a prominent aircraft modeler in So. Cal. whose objective was to cover the walls of his modeling room with plaques. Oh. brother.

With the blossoming of the Internet, forums have made it possible to share your projects with others. This is, to me, far more enjoyable than the pretentions, politics and inconvenience of competitions.

Please do not regard my comments as disrespectful of competitions or competing - it just isn't for me any longer.

Cody
steeldog51
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 01:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, somebody had the OO's to bring up this subject. Good.

I, too, no longer compete. Competing was enjoyable at one time but traveling, renting a room, eating bad food, standing around for hours waiting to go collect some more wall decorations is no longer that appealing. At some point you have to realize you are simply 'collecting' awards. What's the point? Some years ago I knew a prominent aircraft modeler in So. Cal. whose objective was to cover the walls of his modeling room with plaques. Oh. brother.

With the blossoming of the Internet, forums have made it possible to share your projects with others. This is, to me, far more enjoyable than the pretentions, politics and inconvenience of competitions.

Please do not regard my comments as disrespectful of competitions or competing - it just isn't for me any longer.

Cody

Cody thats the point i wanted to make too !
Spades
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 776 Posts
KitMaker Network: 190 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 01:44 AM UTC
I agree with what all of you have mentioned. I take my completed kits to the shows just to "show" them to friends and anyone else. If I happen to win something, fine, great, but, I just enjoying the experience more of sharing.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 02:54 AM UTC
If you don't want to compete, that's fine, it’s a free country and if you want to go to a contest just to look that's fine.

But I'm going to rant here and rant loud and clear.

There is very little good ol' boy stuff going on.

I hear that every year after our contest, It’s bunk. I've crunched the numbers many times and this is how it's played out...club members have been about 22% of the entrants, they've been entering about 22% of the models on the tables and have been taking about 22% of the awards. If you know statistics, randomly placing awards would get you the same results.

If you’re not a regular at a ;lot of shows, and you go to one a year, you’ll see a lot of people hanging together. Many of these are people from a bunch of different clubs who know each other. You may be making the wrong assumption that because they know each other, they are from the same group.

One poster complained of the Buffalo group. I was at their regional contest last year with three guys from my group. Out of about a dozen models among us, we took at least 7 awards, including several first. And we traveled 360 miles to get there. We weren’t part of any imagined clique.

Now, when you go to a contest year after year, you're going to see a lot of the same guys come back. I attend a lot of contests. I see a lot of the same guys win. At different shows. In different areas. Where they are not known. Guess what? They win because they build good models. Plain and simple.

As to the first post and the clean tanks. Using IPMS standards what gets you past the first cut is basics: seams, decals, paint, alignment. Miss the mark on those and all the fancy add ons and super weathering don’t mean squat. And excessive weathering just isn’t going to impress the judges. Take a skip over to

IPMS/USA and go to the 2004 nationals website. Take a look a Armorama member TC's (Talal Chouman) scratch built T-55 which won best weathering. No caked on mud, no over chipped paint, just a realistic worn look.

I'm guessing the guys who and moan the most about judging are the guys who are out having lunch or perusing the vendor stalls during judging. Want to see how judging is really done? VOLUNTEER TO HELP. When the MC calls for the judging meeting, get your butt in there and offer to help. You'll see there is no clique. You'll hear why one model gets picked over the next. You'll even get to influence that decision.

Not "qualified" to judge? Then you're not qualified to build, either. All it takes is reasonably adequate vision and the ability to follow the head judge’s instructions. You can see where a seam hasn't been filled as well as the next guy, right? You can tell when tracks don't touch the grounds evenly, can't you? Then offer to help.

Know what? You'll also learn a heck of a lot about modeling. You'll develop a much keener eye and bring that back to your own modeling room. You'll also develop an appreciation for what the judging teams have to go through to pick 1-2-3.

Finally, if you want to compete and win, build better models. Refine your basic skills. Take in progress photos and look at them on the computer. You’ll see mistakes there you completely missed at the work bench.
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
entire network: 779 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 03:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

yes I agree with you, and here in armorama is when I compete, I post my work, and if someone find a mistake, then I lost, if I get positive comments then I took the gold, its simple.
steeldog51
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 03:23 AM UTC
Hi al! well i cant obviously speak for the u.s. guys comming as i do from bright shiny blighty! (positivley widdling down at the mo! LOL)
so i wouldnt know about u.s. chapters of say the ipms and other such organizations ,however i have noticed certain cliques in the u.k. .
plain and clear ,and i have heard them talk about it as "thier set" ! , and often calling modelers work derogatory names and having a jolly good laugh! and being generally un professional
not trying to upset anyone mate ,just stating my personal observations . all the best K
steeldog51
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 03:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

yes I agree with you, and here in armorama is when I compete, I post my work, and if someone find a mistake, then I lost, if I get positive comments then I took the gold, its simple.

Absolutley mate! and what ever a modelers skill level ,they build models and for this everyone is a winner plain and simple!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 06:55 AM UTC
AJ as me being the guy "wot started all this mess" I have judged and yes you are 100 % correct that the first cut is based on pure modeling. Track being one of the major eliminators. Then major seams then real picky seams like gun tubes and barrels. But then you are down from 15 -20 to about 6 and then it is" that preference" and that is what I don't like. I learned tons from judging and now put a lot of effort in my tracks and usualy purchase those turned barrels as I can't ever seem to get the seams to go away unless I scrape them out of round. I agree, competition is cool for some, and I really am not condemming or critising. I just found it put tension in a hobby that I use to cheer me up in my miserable life....but that is another story and not one I really wish to discuss.
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
entire network: 779 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 07:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

it is" that preference" and that is what I don't like

Yes, that is true, if there is a tie, then the Judge's friend will win, of course :-) I also find it hard to judge modelling; if a judge is to follow his opinion and what is pleasing to his eye then there is going to be a problem, because what is pleasant to his eye may not be pleasant to everyone's eye.

If I had to judge i wouldn't know what to do, if there are 6 models with no construction mistakes, but they were all finished differently, then which one would you choose? the realistic or the beautyfull? The clean or the weathered? axis or allies? your friend or a stranger?
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,836 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,121 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 08:16 AM UTC
Oh, i forgot to mention that i once belonged to my local chapter. I also did not mention the fact of the back stabing that goes on with members at the meetings. How about the yearly contests, in which the members degrade the work of the average joe modeller. And yes, the percentage entries (in my home town) are the members. Year after year the average joe sees whats happening and figures it out for himself. Not all of us go looking to win,heck i like to see what others drop on the table, and find out thier secrets and tips. I also seek out the vendors for the spacials,discounts and whats new. Just wondering, other than last years contest did you go to any of the monthly meetings here. Look ,i'm not knocking IPMS/USA or any other country chapters just this small group here. Nor the fact that your bunch had won 7 times. Im glad for you guys and the fact you traveled 360 miles to show up. I only wish more would do this. My point " share the wealth"
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 08:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

[
If I had to judge i wouldn't know what to do, if there are 6 models with no construction mistakes, but they were all finished differently, then which one would you choose? the realistic or the beautyfull? The clean or the weathered? axis or allies? your friend or a stranger?

Yes you could judge, remember, you are never alone, there are always at least two and preferably three people working together.

I have no friends when 'm judging, nor do the teams I work with. That's irrelevant, in the event I even KNOW who the builder is. Yes, that happens from time to time if I've seen a model before. But, at teh same time, I may be better versed in its flaws. There have been times I've asked to be recused if I felt too close to a subject.

There are rarely ties. When two or more models are really close, you have to examine things more closey. If it's weathered, is the weathering consistent throughout? Things may be considered are if one builder did a lot more work than the next guy and carried it off well.

What shouldn't (but being humans can't always be avoided) are personla preferences. Either choosing a particular model becuase you love that or eliminating it because there's some arcane accuracy flaw in the model that only an afficionado would know to correct.

Yes, judging takes time because there are often 2 or 3 very deserving models on the table or in some cases only 1 and we have to sort our 2nd and 3rd, finding a grain of wheat in a bushel of chaff. It's thankless. Someone is lawyas going ot be unhappy. I had a guy complain that he thought he did BETTER than he should have! And inevitably, there comes a thread like this indicting judges and people who put on contests as practicing enpotism and running shows to give their friends plaques. Hell, if that were the case, we could skip all the work and effort to produce these events and simply sell plaques at cost.

Whaty I'd really lilke to see is a move to open judging as the figure guys do. You are awarded gold, silver or bronze based on your work, not what else showed up that day. There are any number of each award (or none) in each category judged. You don't have to spend 45 minutes loooking for that miniscule flaw or missing speck of paint at he back of the turret with a flaxhlight, magnifying glass and mirror.

AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 08:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh, i forgot to mention that i once belonged to my local chapter. I also did not mention the fact of the back stabing that goes on with members at the meetings. How about the yearly contests, in which the members degrade the work of the average joe modeller. And yes, the percentage entries (in my home town) are the members. Year after year the average joe sees whats happening and figures it out for himself. Not all of us go looking to win,heck i like to see what others drop on the table, and find out thier secrets and tips. I also seek out the vendors for the spacials,discounts and whats new. Just wondering, other than last years contest did you go to any of the monthly meetings here. Look ,i'm not knocking IPMS/USA or any other country chapters just this small group here. Nor the fact that your bunch had won 7 times. Im glad for you guys and the fact you traveled 360 miles to show up. I only wish more would do this. My point " share the wealth"

You want your average joe modeller to show up yet you describe the eighth level of hell on a public forum! If this were the first I'd heard of clubs and contests I'd avoid everyone else in this hobby like the proverbial plague!

My point is that the clubs that put on contests are shating the wealth. People do routinely travel significant distances to attend contests,. especially regional and national events. But the fact is, most people who attend any event, in any endeavor, are going to be from relatively close to the venue. There will be a perception that the locals get most of the awards, and by sheer numbers, "locals" though not necessarily club members will.

_GOTOTOP