_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Most popular kits out today Question
tom
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 681 Posts
KitMaker Network: 193 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2004 - 10:29 AM UTC
Most popular kits , and why you like it.

I was wondering what they were. I would like to know because if there so popular it must be worth building. I am getting tired of modern stuff and there is so many WWII kits it's hard to choose. What would you build or build again because it was fun and a nice research subject.

Thanks for the help

Happy Modeling
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2004 - 10:37 AM UTC
I have been modelling for almost 4 years now. What I have seen, it seems to come in trends. For a while it was all tigers, then panthers and now shermans.
I thought the T55 would have a set a new trend going, but dont think it has made the waves some people expected.
From general opinion and headlines of "best kit ever", maybe the T55 would bea good option for you. Its sort of, in the middle of the two areas you talked about and has features attractive to both. I dont have it personally (yet) but its supposed to be an excellent kitī, and with aftermarket items and a little research there are countless possibilities.
DRAGONWAGON
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 1,041 Posts
KitMaker Network: 298 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2004 - 02:07 PM UTC
Hi Tom...

I used to build a lot of WW II US stuff, like Shermans, Jeeps, Stuarts and so on....
But when the release date of Trumpeter's 1:16 T34 came closer and closer, I started to develop an interest in Russian WWII armor!!
All I want to say by this is: It comes in periods, at least for me it does, so maybe in a few months I might be into German armor!!
Build what you like, keep an eye on several kit-reviews, and plan your own path in the wonderful world of modelling!!

Grtz, and good luck on your queste, John.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 02:21 AM UTC
Hi Tom!, an interesting if somewhat difficult question. Curiously enough (as an Allied Modeller) the thing that has really got my pulse racing, is this:

'3 in One' 251 Now please don't see this as a 'plug' for the news section, but this is one of those kits which if my instincts are correct, are (please pardon the pun!) going to break the mould....Jim :-)
Paul
Visit this Community
Kharkiv, Ukraine / Україна
entire network: 705 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 02:48 AM UTC
As a Soviet modeler I would say the most popular kits in this area are the Tamiya T-55 and the Dragon T-34.
SgtDinkyduck
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 249 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 04:40 AM UTC
Ive been doing the whole gamit of alllied and axis. I chouse depending on what i have in my checking account at the time.

I started with Allied vehicles, mainly American and British, can you belive i still have not built a sherman?

got one in the stack though. wha ti hope to accomplish is a nice list of heavy, med. light. tanks
AA of all kind, Transports and supply trucks. i have a long way to go, but i just grab what fancys me at the time

still have to get some of the russian, and if they come out with some affordable Japaneese stuff i might get them too
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 05:16 AM UTC
I'd like to get my hands on Italeries DUKW. It's a new subject and it's quite a different subject.
As far as I'd build it again - hmm maybe Tamiya's M3 or M5, fun quick nice subjects.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 06:19 AM UTC
Right now I think the two most popular armor kits are the Tiger and Abrams. The Tiger is still the definitive tank model and the Abrams tank has been in the forefront of the news for over a decade.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 07:26 AM UTC
My favorites (at least at the present time) are the Eastern European ones, they supply a modelling challege and don't break the bank. Although they have been climbing in prices lately, setting off the old.... "build what's in the stash" alarm.
yagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 415 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 08:21 AM UTC
Most popular kit? I guess it depends on who you talk to.

I like the Dragon Pz111, AusF. E, but sadly it is OOP. If they ever re-release the kit I will buy a couple more of them.

TriStar, AFV Club, Dragon, Tamiya and Academy have released some fantastic kits in a varity of subjects.

Panthers, Tigers, and Shermans seem to make up 80% of posts on the DG's.
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 2,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 650 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 09:21 AM UTC
Although my taste tend to lean toward modern AFV's and German WWII, the kits that I currently hold in high esteem are the Tamiya M26 Pershing and the Dragon Wagon. Both kits go together flawlessly and are of "unusual" subjects. By unusual subjects I am referring to the fact that neither kit is of something of main stream popularity like Tigers, Shermans, etc.

I am anxious to get ahold of the Tamiya M1A2 Abrams and the Tamiya Leopard 2A6 though. So, my vote my change. :-)
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 07:35 PM UTC
What would be great is if you had a crystal ball, that could tell you which ones was going OOP, so you could buy them before the price went ballistic.

My LHS has a real high price on their models, I knew he had the same one I did, that is OOP, but now that it is OOP, somebody bought it for his asking price.
It was the Italeri Desert Patrol Hummer # 249, but the others set there for a long time.

Kerry
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 07:57 PM UTC
I guess its all in who u ask. Now me when i started a couple years ago the WWII soft Skins just called out to me. i've done a couple of tanks but several Half Tracks and armored cars. and these work horses of WWII can have a lot of charater and be a little more challengeing than a basic oob tank. and over the past couple of years i have noticed a bit of interest pick up here on armorama on these. or at least so it seems to me..

and yea i'll be picking up a couple of those 251's by dragon... lol.

flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 08:27 PM UTC
Hi Tom
I think its well known I'm the sites resident Luft 46 addict.
I like aircraft in general, especially WW2 and early jets and experimental/concept stuff in particular.
I do mainly German secret project stuff because they are both fascinating and have the biggest selection available.
I would like to see some more British Project stuff...if any of the manufacturers can hear me...??

Cheers
Peter
:-)
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 428 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2004 - 10:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

'3 in One' 251 Now please don't see this as a 'plug' for the news section, but this is one of those kits which if my instincts are correct, are (please pardon the pun!) going to break the mould....Jim

That does seem like one heck of a model! Thanks for your time.
JohanW
Visit this Community
Limburg, Belgium
entire network: 143 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2004 - 05:57 AM UTC
Currently my favorite models would be the M1 Abrams: built the Tamiya M1A1 with mine plough, got the same one in stock and also 2 DML M1A1HA kits...

Also got about 8 humvee's: 3 each of the new Tamiya's, the old one with the Bushmaster and the Italeri Avenger.

The M1070 HET is also a great vehicle, but going about 400$, I currently only own 1.

I someone would produce the new LAV3 (Stryker) I'd buy company stock options to see some of my money back
 _GOTOTOP