_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
How do you glue
roger
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 11:50 PM UTC
Hello everyone

I am having problems when it comes to glueing extremly small pieces . I use Humbrol glue with the metal applicator (seringe needle at the end ) but the drop always seem to be to big and I always see glue arond the piece .So how do you glue .thank you
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 12:16 AM UTC
put some glue on the end of a toothpick, and apply as needed
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 12:17 AM UTC
I use Testors glue and an old paint brush. I cannot remember what size brush it is but it is pretty small. I dip that in the glue bottle and then apply on the parts that need to be glued. This brush gives me a lot of control over where and how much glue to apply.

I have used metal applicator you are referring to in the past. It stinks! It gives you absolutely no control over how much glue will come out.
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,007 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 12:19 AM UTC
I prefer the bottled glues rather than the "precision applicators". Small parts can be positioned dry, then apply glue with a small brush (or even a loop bent into thin wire) and let capillory action do the rest.
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 414 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 12:20 AM UTC
It helps to cut a length-wise split in the toothpick to help siphon and retain the glue.

Cody
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 12:23 AM UTC
I use a jar of Humbrol iquid poly, I apply it with a fine paintbrush.
If you are only able to obtain the syringe style aplicator glue an alternative is to squeeze a few drops onto a piece of scrap plastic. Hold the part in some tweezers and dip it in so that the bit needing glue is covered.
If you still get a too big a drop of glue on the part, touch it onto the scrap plastic where there isn't any glue. The drop should run off and leave only a small amount of glue on the part. Then place it into position on the kit.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 12:37 AM UTC
Depends on what glue I'm using.
I use Testors liquid, Tenax, and Tamyia Extra Thin. The Tenax I keep in an old marked bottle of Tamyia. I like the fine brush in Tamyia Extra Thin.
I use the Model Masters with the metal tube, and CA. I treat these the same way. I tape a small piece of foil to the coner of my cutting mat, and put a drop on that. Then I use either an old exato blade, toothpick, or micro brush. I also have a few sewing needles of different sizes, stuck into some small sticks, with half the eye cut off. good control over small drops of CA, and when they get clogged (and they surely will) I simply pass a flame under them and the CA burns off. When the foil get too cluttered with dried glue, I remove it, and simply tape down another small piece.
For 5 minute(Or longer) type epoxy, I slip a file card inside a sandwich baggie, when done, just throw it in trash.
Angela
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
entire network: 853 Posts
KitMaker Network: 275 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2004 - 03:49 PM UTC
I apply glue with a 00 or even 000 paintbrush. I never use the applicator/brushes that go along with the bottle.

For extremely tiny parts, I use cyanoacrylite glues using a toothpick.

Angela
 _GOTOTOP