_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Line drawing source?
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
entire network: 6,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 276 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2004 - 02:03 AM UTC
Are there any specific sources you scratchbuilders use to get line drawings which you base your projects on? Sorry if this is a stupid question. But I've alway been fascinated with scratchbuilding and the ability to build something, well... from scratch!
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2004 - 03:12 AM UTC
That is a good question! I tend to sketch what I am building and scan it in to my computer then, put it in Paint and redraw with the line tool.
I find if I am looking for an exsisting vehicles line plan, I'll ask here and somebody pop's up with it. I know Oshkosh (HEMTT and HET builders) has the drawings on their website. This is what I am using to convert my HEMTT into the HCRT as seen here.

I took the original line drawing from the Oshkosh site (provided by Matt ) and threw it on Paint and re-drew what needed to change.

I hope I've helped,
Cuhail
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,716 Posts
KitMaker Network: 531 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2004 - 03:50 AM UTC
Usually if you do a yahoo or google search you will find something. However, in my searches, aircraft had the better results. It has been relatively hard to find AFV line drawings, especially of those that didn't have much prestege.
Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2004 - 04:06 AM UTC
Yeah, I tried a search and I only got this one site that sells drawings for $2 each but through the mail. If you could pay with credit card and download the drawing right away that would have been easy!
I reall was just looking for simple things to try it out. I've always wished I could scratchbuild even a part of a vehicle. I'll keep looking. Thanks.
Cuhail... where in Illinois are you? I lived in Champagne-Urbana for a few years. Started going to the University of Illinois but couldn't keep up working and studying. But they were good days. I had a modeller friend(ex marine) from a small town called Monticello. His name was Richard Wangler. I wish I could find out where he's at!!
LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 938 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2004 - 04:31 AM UTC
http://afvinteriors.hobbyvista.com/
Hisham- many of the profiles on this site begin with line drawings. If you find some you like, download them fast because the site is shutting down on 31 August!

-I have a question for you. In western societies, we address each other by our given name (in my case Robert) if familiar with eachother, or by our surname or patronymic(In my case Hamilton-my father's last name) if we're being formal. When we address you as 'Hisham' are we using the correct (informal) given name, or a more formal surname/clan/tribal/geographic identifier? Just curious, as I'd like to make you feel most comfortable & welcome...
Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2004 - 04:47 AM UTC
Hey there Robert. Thanks a lot for wanting to make me feel comfortable. I have to sadly admit that ever since Sept. 11th, Westerner's opinion of Arabs has gone way down the drain! And Hisham is my first name(Like your name is Robert) and it is pronounced Hee-sham. Thank you again for taking the time to ask.
Why the %#$&% is the site shuting down? This is my only portal to modelling. I got nobody else to talk to about modelling. And will it be shutting down for a long time? Hope not.
Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2004 - 04:49 AM UTC
OOOOOOOOOOOhhh!!! You're talking about afvinteriors shutting down.. I almost had a heart attack!!!
Trackjam
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 831 Posts
KitMaker Network: 210 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2004 - 10:56 AM UTC
I tend to get line drawings from available publications or from people on the inside, Project Directors or managers who are willing to find unclassified information. Or if there is a specific project you are working on, just ask . There will likely be someone on this site who can provide or point you in the right direction. there are aso lots of commercially available publications. Finally there are some museums suh as the Tank Museum in Bivington that can provide drawings for a small fee.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2004 - 01:44 PM UTC
Hisham --

You mentioned getting drawings for a $2 fee, so I assume you have found George Bradford's scale drawings. They are pretty good and well worth the money. Here's the addy for anyone who is interested: http://www.activevr.com/afv/1-35.html

Some sites also have scale drawings. If you're interested in Soviet WWII AFVs, for instance, there are many drawings on The Russian Battlefield: http://www.battlefield.ru/index.html

I get a lot of drawings from books and magazines. Hunnicutt's books have lots of nice 1/48th scale drawings (which become 1/35th when blown up 137% on a copier). Squadron "In Action" books also have lots of line drawings in various scales.

Hope this helps!
Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2004 - 03:10 PM UTC
Hi there. Thanks for eveybody's help. And BOB.. That Russian Battlefield site ie real nice. Thanks.
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2004 - 03:20 PM UTC
I live way up in Lake County on the border of Wisconsin.

Not Round Lake :-)

Cuhail
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
entire network: 2,394 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2004 - 03:49 PM UTC
Hello Hisham, if you could give me some details of what you are looking for I may have some that you are after. I have some german armor and some soviet. Let me know if you need anything. Cheers Kevin
Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2004 - 03:58 PM UTC
Hey there.. To tell you the truth, I didn't really have anything in particular in mind. I've never scratchbuilt anything before and basically I was going to just look around and try to find an "easy" project that doesn't have curves and stuff.. just simple straight shapes. I'm looking for something that would be easy for a beginner to practice on, like cutting accurately, cementing 2 sides at a given angle and stuff like that. And thanks for your offer to help out.
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
entire network: 2,394 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2004 - 04:17 PM UTC
Hisham, just pm me your email and I would be happy to send you them Cheers Kevin
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2004 - 05:29 PM UTC
if you go to features there are some drawings done by myself of the GMC-CCKW steel rear deck and also the #7 wrecker set that fitted to it (#49 & #52). All set out to fit the Tamiya GMC truck kit. These decks have no curves and may be what you would like.

Regards from Queensland Australia

Cliff aka MrRoo
Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2004 - 06:06 PM UTC
MrRoo.. Yes, I think those are a couple of projects I could maybe try my hand at. Thanks a lot.
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 22, 2004 - 12:19 PM UTC
i would appreciate any and all aid in locating drawings for the m578, particulaly the cab and crane. seems i will have to build this and buy the hull as it is still available online or in stores.

thanks in advance,

reb

ps e mail or pm me the results if you please....

_GOTOTOP