Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Interesting tactic...
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 09:39 PM UTC

[Caption: US solder used a dummy to draw enemy sniper into view]

Came across this photo while reading news on MSNBC.com We have all seen this type of a maneuver done in the movies. It is kind of cool to see it actually being used in real life by real soldiers. BTW, that dummy head looks quite convincing.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 10:35 PM UTC
Maybe hes just slacking off while on guard duty?? :-) :-)
LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 938 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 10:54 PM UTC
Great Post, Marty!
I also always thought this was just the realm of Hollywood. Next thing you know he'll be using chewing gum, a shaving mirror, & bayonet to spot around corners...
one question- Why isn't his Spotter holding up the dummy while he (or SOMEBODY) mans that beautiful piece in the background? Seems to me when flushing a sniper you'd want to bring all guns to bear
Marty
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 11:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

one question- Why isn't his Spotter holding up the dummy while he (or SOMEBODY) mans that beautiful piece in the background?

Good point. Perhaps there is someone in the background (off picture to the right) doing just that. At least I am hoping that is the case. Otherwise what the guy on the floor is doing is kind of pointless. Even if the dummy gets hit, he still won't know where the shot came from. Unless he is using a bayonet, chewing gum and a mirror to look over the wall. :-)
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 1,969 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 11:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great Post, Marty!

I also always thought this was just the realm of Hollywood. Next thing you know he'll be using chewing gum, a shaving mirror, & bayonet to spot around corners...
one question- Why isn't his Spotter holding up the dummy while he (or SOMEBODY) mans that beautiful piece in the background? Seems to me when flushing a sniper you'd want to bring all guns to bear

I was thinking the same thing Robert, In this situation, the shooter should be in a seperate location. Other wise he would be a target before the dummy head was! Preferably the US shooter would be in a different building ready to shoot. At the same time staying in radio contact with the man presenting the decoy. Team work would be the key.

Just my 2 clams!

Garry
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 778 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 12:18 AM UTC
I just hope the sniper isn't using an RPG!
LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 938 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 12:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

In this situation, the shooter should be in a seperate location.

Couldn't agree with you more, Garry. Just seeing that rifle lying untended gives me the feeling that this is an improvised setup. Ideally, you'd have at least one, more when possible, shooter firing from a prepared position, giving maximum coverage of all fields of fire. This guy looks like he came up with this Idea when pinned down with little support (or it's just a dog-and-pony for the camera... )

Quoted Text

I just hope the sniper isn't using an RPG!

Yeah Bob that could make things get sucky right quick- but think about this: even "just" a high velocity 7.62 round hitting that helmet would put that poor bastich on the floor at seriuos risk of a snapped radius & ulna...

[EDIT]- Just spotted the two guys in the backgroun, in full sun from what seems to be an open doorway. More evidence for the dog-and-pony theory... unless these guys are just stupid.[EDIT]
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 01:48 AM UTC
I don't see the two guys in the background but I am still calling shenanigans. Why would you use your own Kevlar lid and goggles to draw fire? If I was going to entice someone to shoot at or towards me I would want a lid and goggles on. Surely if they were putting in the effort to have radio contact with a fire team in a separate location they would have grabbed and extra helmet to make the dummy. I also noted no web gear, side arm etc. But they do have canned Coke. Seems pretty casual to me.

Shaun
Marty
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 02:50 AM UTC
Interesting observations. It looks like US military is just having some fun with the media.
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 778 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 03:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't see the two guys in the background but I am still calling shenanigans.

Uhhh, o-kay!
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 11:24 PM UTC
Perhaps simply a posed photo for the press behind the lines, showing them how it's done.