_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
What is Future??
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
entire network: 6,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 276 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 23, 2004 - 12:53 AM UTC
I'm from Egypt so I don't understand what this Future is that everybodey keeps talking about. Even if it is available in stores here it would probably be with a different name. So what would I ask for? Is it something similar to sealer used for wood to make it water proof? Hope somebody can describe what it is for me so I can ask around and see if they have it. And would it be sold at hardware stores? Thanks.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 23, 2004 - 12:56 AM UTC
Basicly you're right.... it's a floor finish.

The Complete Future

HTH

Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
entire network: 6,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 276 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 23, 2004 - 01:03 AM UTC
Thank you for your quick reply. This page is a lot of help. I appreciate it.
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 1,144 Posts
KitMaker Network: 230 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 23, 2004 - 03:56 AM UTC
There was someone who made a list of the equivalents available in other countries, as Future is not the world wide brand... Unfortunately I was being a dumbass, and have not saved he list. So can someone please help me out, and either post a link to the list, repost the list, or tell me what the Dutch equivalent is.

Thanks in advance,

Harm
LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 938 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 23, 2004 - 04:13 AM UTC
Harm- have you looked at matt's link above? Read through the text and I believe you'll find it's called Pronto Floor Wax in the Netherlands...
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 23, 2004 - 04:33 AM UTC
I work for SC Johnson in the Marketing and Product Development area. I work a lot with the chemists when dealing with product launches. I asked the chemist who develops the Future line and he was surprised that anyone would put this stuff on their models. He is going to run a few tests to see checmicall what it is that is so attractive to modellers. He was amazed that someone would basically wax their plastic. Anyway I'll post his results when I get them back
LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 938 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 23, 2004 - 04:47 AM UTC
NOOOOOOOOOOO SHERMIES DON'T DO IT!!!!!
This guy'll find out what's so great about it & they'll yank future off the shelves, then repackage it & sell it as "ModelKote" or something at 4 times the price!!!!
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 1,144 Posts
KitMaker Network: 230 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 23, 2004 - 09:44 PM UTC

I am hiding in shame.... help.... apologies... apparently yesterday was not one of the brighter days in my life... I'll go hide again.....

flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 23, 2004 - 09:49 PM UTC
I think Future and its equivalents are silicone and or acylic based...could be wrong:+.
Its seems similar to a car product called Armourglaze, which adds a strong and very shiny coat to a cars bodywork.
Future and Armourglaze work amazingly similar in their application and method.

Future is available in Riyadh and so is Klear...depending on the local importer and supplier, I imagine its a similar situation in Egypt.
Most supermarkets carry it here.

Cheers
Peter
:-)
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 6,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,013 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 23, 2004 - 10:04 PM UTC
hi Hisham,
this link is also good on explaining future and how to use it in modelling.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 23, 2004 - 11:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

NOOOOOOOOOOO SHERMIES DON'T DO IT!!!!!
This guy'll find out what's so great about it & they'll yank future off the shelves, then repackage it & sell it as "ModelKote" or something at 4 times the price!!!!

Hmmmm ModelKote! I'll have to check into that idea. However I believe the market for Future in the model arena will probably not be worth it to produce another line.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 08:33 AM UTC
Future is that which has yet to happen.

Oh, you mean the acrylic floor polish. :-)
The beuaty of FUture and its equivalents is that is dries fast, clear and very shiny. Heck, it's made to make women :-)8 happy with how shiny the floor is in the kitchen, and we all know we have to please them or it's the devil to pay! It is also designed to self level, i.e, there are no brush strokes when it dries. This allows it to level a flat surface to decrease the llikelihood of silvering from decals. Flat paint has a microscopically grainy surface to difuse the light as it hits. This surface will trap air below the sloid clear decal film. The air below refracts light differently then the parts of the film in contact with the paint grains resulting in the silvering we know and hate. The Futer coat fills all those littel depressions and makes the surface even and glossy. There's no place, ideally, for air to get trapped uunder the clear film., hence, no silvering.
 _GOTOTOP