_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Advice on compressor
jaseperrin
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 01:03 AM UTC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just put a bid in on ebay for an Aztek A4709. I was wondering if that would be an okay airbrush for a person new to airbrushing models. It was not expensive (that's why I bid on it---I'm a college kid!) Now, If I win the auction and I get the airbrush, I must then find a compressor correct? Any tips or suggestions on what to look for in a compressor? If anyone knows of any used ones that they want to get rid of let me know!

- Jason

SgtDinkyduck
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 249 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 02:04 AM UTC
best bet for a compressor, go to your local hardware store, look for one with a tank. i picked mine up for 79.99 over at home depot with a 3 gall. tank, much much cheaper than getting one that has the word "hobby" in it. it comes with a pressure regulator and even better, i can use it to fill my tires on the cars when they get low.

rbeebe99
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 540 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 02:20 AM UTC
You might also want to look into a CO2 tank, you can rent them from a welder supply and refill is about 15-20$ U.S. The best part about it is it is totally silent and there is no moisture to worry about.
Regards,
Robert
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 02:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You might also want to look into a CO2 tank, you can rent them from a welder supply and refill is about 15-20$ U.S. The best part about it is it is totally silent and there is no moisture to worry about.
Regards,
Robert

What he said...
My first compressor was a shop model without a storage tank, so it ran all the time and was VERY loud.

I just switched to a CO2 tank, dual guage regulator (one for tank pressure and one for outlet line ) , 20 lb tank (about the size of a scuba tank), and a $3 fitting to match up regulator to airbrush hose. Total price about US$180 with a full tank of gas.
Refills are about US$20.
I already had an airbrush hose and telfon tape.

Technically I own the tank, but like BBQ grill propane tanks, I return it empty for a full replacement and I do not have to pay for the hydro testing.

I've painted something most every day this summer and have not made a dent in the 800lb psi tank pressure guage. But I do shut it completely off and bleed the line after each use. I'm told they might leak a bit if I left the tank 'on'

Silent, dry, constant pressure.. I love it. I wish I'd switched sooner.

Mike
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 03:12 AM UTC
Whatever you do, never, ever ever ever ever ever ever ever (not enough evers) Get the small tanks that testors and other companies sell, the look like a bargain, but they end up costing you a fortune, as they run out fast.I use a Binks compressor (it needs a water trap, moisture coming out in big burst every now and then is annoying.) but, if I had a choise, I would go with the tanks they were talking about, it sounds like a great deal.
 _GOTOTOP