Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
I hate mobile phones!!!!
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2004 - 11:51 PM UTC
I am probably in the minority here but mobile phones (cellphones) really do p*ss me off. Especially since the ability to "text" people started.
It was bad enough when they first really became popular, I was once having a smoke in the carpark at work and saw a group of guys PHONING each other just to use them! They were stood face to face and they were talking on their mobile phones to each other! What a ridiculous sight!
Now we have the TEXTING phenomina. Most of my mates have them. I can be talking to one of them and all of a sudden an annoying tune will come from their pocket. End of conversation! They can't get the phone out quick enough to read the message. Then they read out the message for my entertainment, regardless of the fact that nine times out of ten it is a cryptic private joke that only they understand. Then the person spends the next five minutes sending a reply. They also read out the reply, another private joke which is meaningless to me, and send it.
Then we start talking again and all the time they're glancing at the phone in their hand WILLING it to receive a new message. Isn't it ironic that the mobile phone is killing off conversation?

OK rant over, I do feel better now.
SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,041 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 12:36 AM UTC
well thats technology for ya!

and about the carpark scene you mentioned, well i had seen my share of these ridiculous scenes and i just laugh it off

sometimes when i do have a text message, i'll put it on hold if i'm talking to someone. I think its quite rude to actually cut off the conversation and start fiddling with your mobile device unless of cause he/she excuses themselves first
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 01:04 AM UTC
I'm with you Martin - hate the damn things but they do have their uses.
Easy option - I have a phone only for emergencies. If we go out and leave our two teenagers at home, if the car breaks down I switch the phone on, don't use text at all, 90% of the time the things turned off in the glove box of the car.
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 414 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 01:19 AM UTC
Pi__es me off when some doofus tools about paying more attention to his or her conversation than the vehicle in which they are driving. Also, a considerable load of these cell-phone wearing geniuses regard the appliance as a fashion statement . What a bunch of popular-culture losers.

It is very tempting to have a short-run of bumper-stickers produced which read " Hang up and drive - you're not that important". How long do think the windows would stay in the car?

Cody
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 01:52 AM UTC
You know, many of my friends have them, and good luck trying to talk normally to them. Yesterday I was talking to my friend and she whips out her phone and calls this woman she works with. Without even say sorry, or excuse me. She left a message and told me she had to do it before she forgot.

~Chip
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 02:40 AM UTC
Only phone I have is a cell phone, figured it was rather stupid to pay for two phones when 90% on my calls came on the cell phone. Oh I don't use text, nor is phone set up to receive text, and I never answer it during a conversation.... that's why it vibrates instead of ringing. I may miss a few calls, but then leave a message, and I'll call back. Oh it's also against the law in NJ to use it when driving with out a headset.
TempExp
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 148 Posts
KitMaker Network: 106 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 02:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It is very tempting to have a short-run of bumper-stickers produced which read " Hang up and drive - you're not that important".
Cody

Funny thing... a month or two back I saw a sticker similiar to that., I think it said "Hang up and drive." Only problem was the driver wa talking on his phone and driving very poorly -- weaving in and out of traffic, cutting people off, etc.

Wish I could have gotten a good photo of that.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 02:55 AM UTC
I love my mobilephone ... couldn´t live without it!

I bought it new for 300 sek (£20/$33). It costs me max 300 sek a year for the calls I make. Nobody rings me unless they have to, cause they know I never answer. The only one who gets through is the wife, as we both work and have to pick up our daughter and sometimes plans change. When we go to town, I hit the hobby stores and get a call when its time to go home. When somebody sits beside me on the train, that I want to annoy, I play silly games with lots of beeping until they leave. When my boss comes looking for someone to help with some tedious job, Im engaged. Its my second alarm call every morning. Etc. etc.
As for people who want to sit and type text messages ... Its them who miss whats going on while they´re writing! :-)
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 414 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 05:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

It is very tempting to have a short-run of bumper-stickers produced which read " Hang up and drive - you're not that important".
Cody

Funny thing... a month or two back I saw a sticker similiar to that., I think it said "Hang up and drive." Only problem was the driver wa talking on his phone and driving very poorly -- weaving in and out of traffic, cutting people off, etc.

Wish I could have gotten a good photo of that.

Somebody after my own heart.

Cody
RAF-Mad
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 153 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 08:17 AM UTC
You should see some of the people in my high school donntt need to look at the phone the type there messages without looking then glance to see the response. Its mostly girls since they cant chat in classs the use that to get "Vital" informtation around. ITs kinda amusing to watch when one of them forgets to turn there rign off. Even better if its a phone call and the teacher answers it and its the mother of the student
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 09:58 AM UTC
I like my cell phone and the fact that I can receive text message on it. That feature is very useful especially when one of the computer systems at work goes down. I immediately get paged via text message.
I find people talking on the phone more annoying than people writing text messages. At least with a text message I do not have to listen to his/her conversation.
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 10:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

martin's entire post

HAHAHAHHA :-) :-) :-) oh man so true so true, lordy in the mornin, everything you said was true

amen to martin, haha, i've gotta put that in a book of quotes or something haha, yes i do hate cellphones, the reason i got rid of mine
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
entire network: 779 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 10:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

cell-phone wearing geniuses regard the appliance as a fashion statement . What a bunch of popular-culture losers.

you said it right, in my highschool it seemed like an obligation to bring a cell phone, and then there were these guys who brought cell phones that didn't even work!!
RAF-Mad
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 12:26 PM UTC
heh thats a good one brining broken cell phone to school. In high school its all about cell phone, i admit i have one bearly use it though sits in my room or pocket "just incase". WHAT REALLY gets me is the 10 year old you see running arround with cell phones talking to there friends that just blow me away when i was 10 i have no reason WHAT so ever to have a cell phone. Then they go around acting like high schoolers its rather amusing but yet annoying.
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 06:34 PM UTC
My family forced me to get one I have a heart problem and im out on my push bike alot so it could come in handy in a emergency,Ive got a pay as you go put ten quid in it six months ago still got 8 quid credit I detest the things When I used to travel on the tube I had to suffer such worth while conversations as "Im on the train Yeah whats for Dinner" or the cretin who sits there going through every ring tone known to man.Rant over bye now
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 08:35 PM UTC
Cell phones are wonderful tools. They have thier strengths and place.

What yanks my chain is the attitude that the large majority of cell phone owners have. The attitude that 'the phone call coming in is more important than what they have in front of them.' or 'The person on the phone is more important than I am standing in front of them.'

My take on ANY phone is - 'it's thier for MY convience NOT YOURS' If I'm busy - I won't drop every thing to answer it anywhere.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 12:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My take on ANY phone is - 'it's thier for MY convience NOT YOURS' If I'm busy - I won't drop every thing to answer it anywhere.

Amen Brother!
RAF-Mad
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 02:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Amen Brother!

Hit it right on the head
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 1,538 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 02:48 PM UTC
We're the texting capital of the world with a few million messages sent EACH DAY. Almost everyone has a phone from the tycoons in their limos to the street cleaners. The police is just (hopefully) a text message away.

It's a time saver because you don't end up waiting if your date is caught in traffic. It's a quick way of letting a pal know that the kit he has been wishing for is already available at the LHS. With MMS (that's Multi-Media Messaging) you can take a pic of your lovely date and send it to all your friends. Unfortunately your boss can call you anytime. And with the cell locator pinpointing your location to within a few feet you better tell your wife the truth about where you are
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 08:02 PM UTC
Oh it's also against the law in NJ to use it when driving with out a headset

Same here in NY..... Like half the people do anyway......
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,405 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 08:10 PM UTC
Unfortunately I have used mobile / cell phones since their inception. Even before them I had a pager and car phone, nature of the beast (Job that is).

It is not the mobile phone you should be angry with, it is the BAD MANNERS associated with its use!

Funny how ‘I’m sorry please excuse me for a bit, I really have to get this’ (when it’s important) or ‘please continue, I’ll get it later’ (when it’s not important), goes such a long way during a conversation.

Plus putting your phone on vibrate and using the same manners as with a normal land line i.e. an apology before taking and after receiving a call, during a conversation etc... Stepping away from the person you were talking to (after they have acknowledged the interruption and apology), to actually take the call and stepping back (with the appropriate apology) to continue the conversation.