TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Hist. Chan. Aug. 5 *Mail Call/Basic Training*
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2002 - 09:12 PM UTC
All Times EST

@ 1200 repeats @ 1800 Combat Photographers
Photographic images of war stand as testimony to extraordinary human experience--the edge of life and death, the extreme of good and evil. Gaze through the viewfinders of war with the men and women who captured defining moments while bullets flew and bombs exploded. From the U.S. Civil War to Somalia and Bosnia, we hear their stories. TV PG

@ 2000 repeats @ 0000 Mail Call
R. Lee Ermey, who portrayed the sergeant in "Full Metal Jacket", applies his gruff sense of humor in this half-hour series that answers viewers' mail about what the armed forces were, and really are, like! Shot on location, Ermey reads the questions on air and then sends them out to military experts in the field for answers and brief demonstrations. TV G

@ 2030 repeats @ 0030 Basic Training
A true-reality series that follows six recruits through every grueling moment of Army Basic Training. Given unprecedented access to the entire three-month ordeal, this half-hour 26-part series follows four men and two women from indoctrination to graduation. Experience their successes, failures, pain and elation around the clock as they strive to be "All That You Can Be." TV G

@ 2100 repeats @ 0100 Basic Training
A true-reality series that follows six recruits through every grueling moment of Army Basic Training. Given unprecedented access to the entire three-month ordeal, this half-hour 26-part series follows four men and two women from indoctrination to graduation. Experience their successes, failures, pain and elation around the clock as they strive to be "All That You Can Be." TV G

@ 2130 repeats @ 0130 Mail Call
R. Lee Ermey, who played the sergeant in "Full Metal Jacket", applies his gruff sense of humor in this half-hour series that answers viewers' mail about what the armed forces were, and really are, like! Shot on location, Ermey reads the questions on air and then sends them out to military experts in the field for answers and brief demonstrations. TV G

@ 2200 repeats @ 0200 Mail Call
R. Lee Ermey, who portrayed the sergeant in "Full Metal Jacket", applies his gruff sense of humor in this half-hour series that answers viewers' mail about what the armed forces were, and really are, like! Shot on location, Ermey reads the questions on air and then sends them out to military experts in the field for answers and brief demonstrations. TV G

@ 2230 repeats @ 0230 Basic Training

@ 2300 repeats @ 0300 Basic Training

@ 2330 repeats @ 0330 Mail Call
R. Lee Ermey, who played the sergeant in "Full Metal Jacket", applies his gruff sense of humor in this half-hour series that answers viewers' mail about what the armed forces were, and really are, like! Shot on location, Ermey reads the questions on air and then sends them out to military experts in the field for answers and brief demonstrations. TV G
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2002 - 10:30 PM UTC
I watched Mail Call and the first episode of Basic Training. Mail Call was fun seeing Ermey tool around in an M-5 Stuart. Basic Training seemed like they were being too "proper" and "politically correct". I know BCT has changed a lot in 20 years, I remember a "Drill" spewing out a string of obscenities that I have not heard since. Some of the curse words and phrases must have took a lot of imagination to come up with. One "Drill" used the F-word for almost every other word in his sentence. To someone who grew up not cursing, it was difficult to actually understand what he was saying. I did get the gist of it though!

In last night's episode, one prior service recruit was giving a "Drill" a hard time. He did state that they would have a discussion off-camera. Now that one I would like to see and probably remind me of what the old days were like.
Dubanka
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 152 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2002 - 11:04 PM UTC
For being prior service, she sure did act like a spoiled brat....then acted stupid when the DS told her to push.....no respect.
I would have loved to see what happened off camera also....
Sabot
Posted: Sunday, August 04, 2002 - 11:21 PM UTC
Yeah, that's the one...20 years ago and if "she" was a "he", she probably would have taken one in the gut and been sleeping on the floor. Then after the "Drill" over-turned all the bunks and made a tee-total mess, the rest of the recruits would have introduced her to the blanket party for making them have to clean up the mess.
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2002 - 09:23 AM UTC
What are your thoughts on "mail call"? Personaly I found it quite entertaining. I plan on watching each week. what does everyone else think about it?
Sabot
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2002 - 06:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What are your thoughts on "mail call"? Personaly I found it quite entertaining. I plan on watching each week. what does everyone else think about it?

I like it, just long enough to keep your interest. I submitted a question and got a couple of replies back. One was an automated "thanks for your submission" e-mail, the other was from a real person who said they would use the question in a future show.

Basic training is kind of a farce.
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 02:58 AM UTC
What question did you ask? I would like to keep an eye out for it. This next show they will be shooting off mortars, that should be fun.
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 778 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 03:09 AM UTC
Did anyone notice that B"Basic Training" was the foundation to alot of the "Army of One" recruiting advertising? I guess that was an arrangement between the Army and the producers..."We'll let you shoot this show if we can..."
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2002 - 03:12 AM UTC
When I've caught it, I've enjoyed Mail Call. Have not seen Basic training, all I could think of was Survivor in BDU's.