_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Anyone do home Photo Etching?
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,250 Posts
KitMaker Network: 266 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 02:16 PM UTC
Hey Guys!

Im looking for someone to do some costum PE sets for me, if you are interested or know someone who can either post here os email me a [email protected]
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 07:40 PM UTC
If you have contact with people working with PCB boards and IC chips (computer-hardware related), they can make one for you. Just provide them your template.
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 05:18 AM UTC
Thanks! I will look in a phone book, but I have no clue if there are any of those types of companies around here.

Isn't there a home PE kit I could get from somewhere?
ex-royal
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,009 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 05:29 AM UTC
Hi Anders,
Here is a link for all the supplies you need to make Photo Etch . There are several articles on the net on doing Home etch if you just do a google search Im sure they will pop up. Good luck
Cheers,
Bryan
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 06:30 AM UTC
Thanks Bryan! Excactly what I need
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 11:30 AM UTC
Radio Shack makes a small at home photo etch kit, cost about 15 bucks. K&S makes a small pack of brass shim stock, cost about 5 bucks. I have made buckles and some simple shapes, using these. turned out ok, but not like a professional set. But them again, I used a plain old Sharpie for the resist. (that's what comes in the radio shack kit) I tried the new extra fine sharpie, and got better results, but all my art work was 1. simple shape, 2. hand drawn, so it didn't turn out great.
I also cut the brass as close to the drawing as possible. (the less brass that needs to be eaten away, the faster and better the result, and mounted the brass on the sticky side of a piece of PVC electrical tape, (Ala Fhoto-cut).
Remember everthing that come into contact with the etchent, needs to be plastic. and do not throw the old stuff down your sink, unless you like paying your plumber. Plain old baking soda/water mixture will neutralize the acid, and I suggest you make up a batch of it before you even start playing with the ACID... and it is a rather strong acid, that will burn your skin and eyes, so rubber gloves and safety glasses are a must.
All in all, I found it to be a rather messy process for just a few parts. I got two bottle of acid still sitting around and no desire to try profecting something I rarely use.

The guy that does Fhoto-Cut use to do custom orders, but I don't know if he still does.
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 427 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 07:11 PM UTC
I've been told, and am considering buying, Corel Draw II Essentials, to make drawings for home photo etching. It's a dumbed down version of the more expensive CAD/CAM programs, so, maybe I could learn it.

Sealhead
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 07:14 PM UTC
There's a Hoime PE system in the new Micro Mark Cat.
http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action=Catalog&Type=Product&ID=83123
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 08:04 PM UTC
Thanks Matt, that sure looks a lot better than the primative way I've been trying it, at a rather affordable price.
 _GOTOTOP