Militaria Forum
For discussions on a range of topics like reenacting, vehicle restoration, and collecting.
US M-1917 'painted' doughboy helmets
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 414 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 04:31 AM UTC
During the post-WW I occupation US troops would paint the insignia of their division usually on the front of the helmet for both espirit and parades. In my opinion these helmets are undervalued and as a result are still readily available but as with so many collectibles forgeries are abundant. 2nd Division helms are particularly popular to fake. Here are three from the 1st, 2nd & 3rd ID's. The 2nd ID helmet was sourced from a Washington state estate sale and as such has impeccable credential.

Cody
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 3,179 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 05:15 AM UTC
Nice additions to this site, gald to see you have more than just German stuff! Now, do you have BAR belt with the hip cup?
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 07:36 AM UTC
I have two of these helmets, not painted with insignia, but still something, one of which though, is not that great. I bought it cheap, it had a HORRIBLE [uke green color originally, and I repainted it to a better color, still very far away from perfect,but better than it was, but the other one is a jewel, here is a couple pictures of it.

the real amazing thing is I paid about $47.00 for it, a bargain compared to what I've seen before.
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 414 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 08:52 AM UTC
Hi David,

You did well with that one. I've seen em' go for nearly a hundred in that condition.

Cody
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 10:35 AM UTC
Yeah, I got it for reenacting (at least when I'm 18, but hey, four years to collect the stuff right? ) I originally buying one with a new liner and chinstrap, but the price was 150 dollars. That is 50 weeks of allowance, so that wasn't going to happen anytime soon :-)