History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Battle around Xanten (Germany)
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 2,029 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 01:18 AM UTC
Howdy,

When I was a kid I used to live in Xanten (by Wesel) for 8 years and still remember me and my friends paying in and around the bunkers of the German army that are still present in the woods.

I collected several items in those years like a helmet, bullets and the shaft of a SS knife, but lost all those items in the course of the years

I also remember several pictures of a devastates town after the Allied bombers went over it so I figure that it had seen some severe fighting, but I can't find any good books about it nor anything worthwhile on the net.

Does anybody has some good sources for met about this city in wartime that I can read (like on te net?)

tnx
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 702 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 02:05 AM UTC
You could do a Google search for Xanten World War 2 and come up with some decent hits.
I found that the town was captured on March 10, towards the tail-end of Operation Veritable by the Canadian First Army after the area was encircled by the Canadians and the US Ninth Army.
I also found this site, http://www.xanten.de. It's in German and English, and gives a broad overview of the city's history in addition to the local social calendar (not pertinent to the discussion, but somewhat interesting nonetheless).
I wish you the best of luck in finding the info you seek.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 02:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Howdy,

When I was a kid I used to live in Xanten (by Wesel) for 8 years and still remember me and my friends paying in and around the bunkers of the German army that are still present in the woods.

I collected several items in those years like a helmet, bullets and the shaft of a SS knife, but lost all those items in the course of the years

I also remember several pictures of a devastates town after the Allied bombers went over it so I figure that it had seen some severe fighting, but I can't find any good books about it nor anything worthwhile on the net.

Does anybody has some good sources for met about this city in wartime that I can read (like on te net?)

tnx

Well, the battles around Wesel center on the british crossing of the Rhine. Large airborne operation also. Look up Operation Plunder and Operation Varsity. I am pretty sure they will lead you to more details.
DJ