_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Sratches, nick, and scrapes
Sancho0409
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 145 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2002 - 08:37 AM UTC
what is the best way to put scratches nicks and cuts, etc on a model, and what preparation is needed?
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2002 - 09:05 AM UTC
It depends on what type of scratched and nics, etc you're talking about.
You could add scratches and cuts in the model -AFV - itself or to the paint job of the AFV.
To add those scrapes and such in the model prior to painting you best to use a moto-tool like a Dremel. On a low speed and with an engraving bit just add (very little at a time) little cuts and scrapes and scratches in the model. Be aware that most of these damage markings would be in the lower portion of the AFV's hull sides, and most would run horizontally as the vehicle scraped against something while in action.
The other is to depict scratches in the paint. To do this I use a piece of stretched spue a very thin one, as my paint brush. Just dip the sprue brush in the paint (usually a raw metal - not a bright silver) and just paint the the model in strategic places to add the scratches. Like corners, hull side, turret sides, front hull - glacius plate, etc.
I hope some of this made some sense.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2002 - 09:57 PM UTC
I know this will not make me likeable but look here this is pretty good. And as we are all in the same boat This might be good for anybody
http://www.missing-lynx.com/articles/other/awpaint/awpaint.htm
Dubanka
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 152 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2002 - 09:40 AM UTC
Here is a little food for thought....

A dremel would work wonders for this kind of damage....

John
E23C
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 238 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2002 - 12:16 PM UTC
In the second Pic,is the barrel split? sure looks like it. Was this a range target at sometime in its life?Good closeup pics :-)
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 29, 2002 - 10:30 PM UTC
I have to second the article that sgtreef put a link to. I don't use all the methods he talks about, but that article has changed my model building a lot in what I think are good ways. Don't be affraid to try some oil paints, I was a little but now I love them to death.

As the author states in the article, he is over doing some of the methods to better show them so keep that in mind also.
 _GOTOTOP