_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
What do you prefer, what is more fun ?
Sarge59
Visit this Community
Nord, France
entire network: 95 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 08:44 PM UTC
I mean :

Do you prefer a very accurate kit like tamiya's or dragon's, so you can finish it quite quickly.
And after that add some superdetails.

Or do you prefer to spend more time (so more fun !)
on an inaccurate kit, and scratchbuild some part
and make it quite like a new (your own) model
And after that add some superdetails.

I hope i make myself clear

Thanks
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 10:39 PM UTC
HI, I go the easy route. I like good accurate kits straight from the box. Oh, I do enjoy adding some minor scratch-built items occasionally, as long as they are really simple to make, or some minor PE parts, but I stay away from 'going crazy' with extras, either bought or home-made. I'm doing good just putting the kits together and trying to get them painted and weathered to the best of my ability as it is. I find that if I get too involved in a kit, that I begin to loose interest in it after a while and it gets put up on the shelf, where it tends to stay, gathering loads of dust and cat hair, and usually ends up getting tossed in the end.

Take care, Sgirty
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 10:45 PM UTC
Accurate or not, I prefer Tamiya, Academy, Accurate Miniatures and AFV club kits only. It is easier to scratchbuild than to build an entire kit full of errors!!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 10:59 PM UTC
I'ld much rather to work on a fun kit ike a Tamiya or a Dragon, add what I want to it rather than have to do things to make it right
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 11:12 PM UTC
On occasion, I like to buy the old (really old) stuff that I built as a kid and try my hand at building it to today's standards. Especially when I dig through a box that my mom put a lot of my first kits in. I find the old Monogram Shermans and Pattons and even a few of the early Tamiya kits like the M36, M4A3E8, M60A1/A2 and M41.

It's fun to see how far I've progressed in the decades since I first started building (some kits weren't even painted!).
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 11:53 PM UTC
For me it depends on the project. Some times I have a large diorama to contend with and I want the AFV/platic parts to be straight forward because I know I have a lot of scratch building in the project. Sometimes i need a quick project to feel like I've accomplished something.

Mostly there does need to be some challenge in it. I am always trying new things and even try to do the same thing with a different technique just to keep it intereseting. Like a painter, I don't really want to paint the same picture twice.
Leopold
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 446 Posts
KitMaker Network: 159 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 12:08 AM UTC
i prefer accurate but easy...tamiya is one of them
ACHTUNG
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 266 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 12:15 AM UTC
I go with the accurate, and for me i always choose TAMIYa, i had enough with inaccurate kit
and now i have inacciurate kit from ITALERI (OPEL MAULTIER) and i hate this kit, i still want to finish it, but not in the near future
piwi
Visit this Community
Nord, France
entire network: 712 Posts
KitMaker Network: 150 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 05:55 AM UTC
I enjoy buying an old one and trying to make as acurate as possible , using plastic card, electric wire...
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 06:16 AM UTC
I have enough trouble building a kit OOTB, nevertheless trying to gut one and scratch new details!!
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 06:23 AM UTC
I'm getting close to completing my first model (yay! lol), one of the Hobby Craft Humvee's I picked up at the HL sale. It's the first one I've done in 30 years and last time I did one I just threw it together, had glue stains all over it and thought it was a masterpiece. lol I'm finding that 'doing it right' can be time consuming with cleaning, fixing errors etc. So for my first one I'm just building it as is, errors and all just to get the juices flowing again. It'll be ugly but it'll be a first step and a learning experience.

I think I'd prefer (at this point) a good kit OOTB with minimal scratchbuilding, error fixing etc so I can just concentrate on proper construction, painting and weathering for now. Maybe in the future as my experience and knowledge grow I can learn about scratch building more but for now I'd prefer to keep it simple.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 07:40 AM UTC
Well I'd rather start with a basically sound kit and then take it to the next level starting from there...I'm not into redoing the whole superstructure of a kit just to get it right but I love to add that little something to make my kit different from a oob build...So some kits can be little changes and others can be more complex but both look fine in my display case... I got lots of old clunkers around that I will try to bring up to date but for now I have trouble building all those super new kits out there..

Rick
earwig61
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 188 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 08:16 AM UTC
I lean towards building kits like Italari, affordable and accurate enough, with a few minor mods. When I build a Timaya, it's usually good enough for me out of the box. I also enjoy the nostalgia of building older kits. I enjoy making a few mods to improve the model. I actually don't mind if the model comes across a little "toyish." I guess this has something to do with a passion I also have for 60's-70's toys, especially plastic soldiers and military vehicles.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 08:42 AM UTC
Well, when I started modelling there wasn't all this after market stuff, and if you wanted to detail, you did it with card, wire, or what ever you could think of that would work. I guess old habits die hard, since I still prefer doing that.
My simple modelling goal is to try to recreated a decent representation of an item, in a miniature size.
Keep it simple..... works for me.
wampum
Visit this Community
Tekirdag, Turkey / Türkçe
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 389 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 - 11:09 PM UTC
I prefer to spend more time on an inaccurate kit, and scratchbuild some parts of it.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 07:05 AM UTC
I only model Italian Cavalry vehichles, so it's hard to answer your question because the most part of the available kits are resin ones. There a few industrial kits I can do, but anyway they always need mods at some extent...
Ciao
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,667 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 04:18 PM UTC
It all depends to me on which maker does the kit I'm after.
Pete
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 08:04 PM UTC
I now prefer to make my own
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 01:23 AM UTC
When buying a kit, I never think about of it´s quality. I want the subject, or am impressed by the box art. Therefore I have chosen quite a few monsters. To me, its all modelling. Ive built a few very nice kits ... tamiya JS3 for example, but these feel like a jig-saw puzzle ... just put the right parts in the right place. But I like the challenge of the monsters as well.
If I add anything to a model, its to give it individuality, so it looks like mines, rather than have it 100% accurate. I can live with less accuracy, but enjoy making the scene and whats pleasing to me.
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,305 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 01:46 AM UTC
Ciao everyone,
I can answer simply: Whatever is cheap!! If I can build a model that is accurate (and happens to be on sale), then great. Older Tamiya kits spring to mind. But, if the only thing affordable is Heller, then to Heller with it! :-)
Ciao for now
Rob
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 08:51 AM UTC
I'm kind of like Rob, the cheaper the better, but I do like detail. I don't mind sink holes just as long as they aren't on the detailed part.
I like the challenge, but without the money I can't scratch the detail to well, but this frame on this scout has just as much putty filling the sink holes as the plastic weighs, but I enjoyed every minute of fixing it. The more work there is the more fun I have.
I look for the most number of pieces, and I hoping some day I can afford one of them big bolt together tanks like a couple of the others were showing earlier, with a real suspension, that you haft to put together yourself.

Kerry
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 08:59 AM UTC
Either way suits me, I just enjoy modelling. I can still get a kick out of making a good model straight from the box, equally I get real satisfaction from one of my scratch-bodied CMPs.
yagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 415 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 03:52 PM UTC
I pick my kits based on the appeal of the model, doesn't matter who makes it. Tamiya Marder 111, Alan Bison 1, DML Pz111's and StuG's, Italeri Crusaders and 234's. Then I build it to the best of my ability.

I add a few bits of plastic strip, wire, and the odd resin piece or after market barrel.

_GOTOTOP