_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
General Failure... signing off !
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 12:59 AM UTC

After +2600 posts, this is not a decision I take lightly.

This is not a decision I take because I am in any way displeased with this site or with the wonderful crowd that populates and visits it.

I had wonderful times here, and made many friends, even some who live on continents where I didn't have any friends before. Through Armorama I even got to meet new friends in real life.
Modeling is a great hobby, and Armorama is by far the best and kindest community to get new information, solve practical modeling problems, share your work with people who turn out to be doing the exact incredible thing you are at the same time, only at the other end of this globe.
I won't mention anyone by name, since it would make this post far too long and even then I'd overlook some people I really enjoyed discussing and chatting with.

I gladly make one exception for a truly exceptional person I spent many nights chatting with, and I had the pleasure to meet when I happened to be on holiday near his neck of the woods. If Armorama is what it is today, it is the work of many hands. But it would never be what it is, without the daily (and nightly) efforts of Jim Starkweather. Jim's become my friend for life.

My professional and private lives currently need more time than I have available. This is at the expense of my sleep and very sparse leisure time. I did my last modeling many months ago, and I just spent the morning clearing and cleaning up my modeling table, and put everything away. I'm sure one day I'll start again, but it doesn't look as if this day will come soon.

If I came around during these past months, it was to monitor the forums I agreed to moderate. My visits are getting shorter and the space between too long, to allow me to take this responsibility in a way I feel happy and comfortable about.

I'm sure that now and then you'll discover traces of my occasional visits when I come to peek how this adventure is evolving, but for now the time has come to say goodbye.

Maybe in a few years you'll discover a new Private Failure ("Major Breakdown" has a nice ring to it, too...) has joined your ranks. Junior is yet too young to be left alone messing around on the web, and he doesn't speak English yet, but he shares my interests in modeling and the PC. And who knows... maybe when things calm down a bit I might come back myself to get that fifth star !

To all of you, near and far, especially to the scratchbuilders, diorama builders and all the fine specimens of the human race I spent many a night chatting with : thanks for the wonderful moments.
All of you, near and far, have brought me happy hours, and I like to thank you for that. Really. You're a great bunch.

You already understand : my horse is saddled, my bags are packed, and General Failure is ready to ride off into the sunset.

Cheers !

Jan

Who the hell is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard disk ???

FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 01:16 AM UTC
Ola Jan

Very sad to hear this but when other business gets more important then go that way.
And hopefully when you have time drop a message on the forum or whatever. Just to let us know you are still alive etc.

Godspeed my man

cardinal
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
entire network: 1,008 Posts
KitMaker Network: 492 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 01:35 AM UTC
I know some of us will be going in the same way you are in right now. Time will tell when we can pick up where we left off. God Bless Jan.
ave
Visit this Community
Klang, Malaysia
entire network: 417 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 01:37 AM UTC
sorry to hear about this
hope you'll visit in the near future
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 01:39 AM UTC
See ya Jan. It has been great. Drop in occasionally if time allows.

All the best,

Shaun
A-Train
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 715 Posts
KitMaker Network: 236 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 01:51 AM UTC
I'll keep it short and sweet cuse i have crosseyes from reading that. Goodbye i never knew you very well.
NoMercy
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 111 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 02:06 AM UTC
When life settles back down and you have more time you will be back. This hobby never leaves you. It just lets you go for awhile from time to time and lures you back in.

Good Luck and come back soon!!
PvtParts
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 02:08 AM UTC
Until we meet again..Godspeed to you and your family
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,462 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 02:22 AM UTC
take care of your self,
and come back soon.
you will be missed here
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,305 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 02:24 AM UTC
Ciao Jan,
Be glad when you have to time to come back for good. Good luck and God bless in your future.
Ciao for now
Rob
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 02:26 AM UTC
Sad to hear Jan, but I understand totally what you are going through. Im sort of in the same place myself at the moment. The ony difference is, I need my modelling as its my therapy when I need to get away from life, although the time spent modelling is getting less and less. When Im modelling, I forget all about life´s problems and feel relaxed enough afterwards to tackle all thats coming my way.
Your contributions, help and generally just being here is one of the sites benefits. It will be great to see you drop in from time to time as it suits you.
You are not alone either. A few guys have felt the need to take a back seat for a while, and thats good in a way also as it allows more willing-people to take the place left. But all have big shoes to wear. Enjoy what you´ve got, because if you´re not enjoying it, whats the point?
All the best and store all your stuff carefully. A day will come again when you are ready to take up where you left off. The door will always be open. Cheers!
Spuds
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 393 Posts
KitMaker Network: 61 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 03:03 AM UTC
So long, Jan. Until our next post............
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 03:09 AM UTC
Hope you'll be back someday Jan! We'll be missing you!
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 03:15 AM UTC
You will be missed. Take care and will be looking for an occasional chat from time to time to see how you are doing.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 1,969 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 03:23 AM UTC
Take care of yourself and your family Jan, there will always be a place here at Armorama for you ! Just do well and prosper bud!

Best wishes,

Garry
demodelbouwer
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 792 Posts
KitMaker Network: 71 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 03:47 AM UTC
so long lone some cowboy .

( and of he is riding away in the red sunset )

MVG

Eric.
DRAGONWAGON
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 1,041 Posts
KitMaker Network: 298 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 03:54 AM UTC
Good knowing you, Jan. Have a safe ride into the sunset, and I hope you'll find what you're looking for!

Keep safe, John.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 03:59 AM UTC
Howdy Jan,

I will not go into why I completely understand your decision here, because this is in fact, your stage.

I will simply say your intelligence, eloquence, and presence will be sorely missed by probably more people here than you know.

I wish you naught but sure steps, and steady gait on your journey...........

Tread.
boosahmer
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 651 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 04:20 AM UTC
Jan, Thank you for helping make Armorama all that it is today. I wish you all the best!
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 547 Posts
KitMaker Network: 268 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 04:44 AM UTC
Don't worry, we'll always keep a spot cleared for you on our model bench

Sean
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 04:56 AM UTC
We all take a break from the plastic bashing now and then, we'll be here if you need us, and glad to see you when you return
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 05:15 AM UTC
jan,

im sorry to see you leave, and hope you manage to pop in from time to time to say hello.

hopefully your life will soon settle down enough to allow more time for modelling,

best wishes

joe
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 05:58 AM UTC
We'll be here when you're ready to come back, Jan. We'll certainly miss your scratch-building experience and wisdom.

jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
entire network: 2,394 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 06:03 AM UTC
Hello Jan, I am sorry to here about this, but life does come first. So I hope you get things calmed down to get back to the modeling table and to stop in and visit at armorama from time to time. Your presence will surely be missed until then. It is great about your son sharing your interests. Cheers Kevin
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 06:04 AM UTC
Jan - I wish you great success and much happiness in all that you undertake. Everyone will keep a candle lit in the window for you whenever you return for a visit...

Gunnie
 _GOTOTOP