Militaria Forum
For discussions on a range of topics like reenacting, vehicle restoration, and collecting.
Third Reich combat helmets
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 414 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 03:36 PM UTC
At Nathan's request here is the first of many...

This is an Army medical helmet. These helmets are EXCEEDINGLY rare. This example started out as an Army M-40sd(single decal) which was subsequently repainted, more than likely at the depot-level, for a field medic. This is NOT a camoflage helmet as medics are seen wearing this configuration during all seasons and behind the lines. This 'NS'64(manufacturer/shell size) is in better than average shape(for a medical helmet) but still demonstrates plenty of use. This very helmet is shown on pages 112 & 113 of "German Camoflaged Helmets of the Second World War" by Branislov Radovic.

Cody
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 03:41 PM UTC
I must say that this forum is off and running. I have good feelings about it. Keep posting and we will have a good reference library building.
dvldogusmc
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 05:19 PM UTC
I was considering doing this paintscheme w/ one of my helmets but apparently this was not as common a practice as people think. I portray a medic in my group, and the armband was about it most of the time. If you can find a genuine original its a great addition to any collection.
Marcus
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 08:59 PM UTC
any chance you can put the various marks of helmets and point out the difference between them?
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 01:42 PM UTC
OK.

This is easily the 'classic' Third Reich combat helmet. Examples of this helmet are frequently seen in the newsreels from before and during the early stages of the war when the Blitzkrieg was having so much success in Poland and France.

The helmet is a pre-war Army M-35(model 1935) double decal combat helmet dated 1938 throughout. These pre-war helmets sported both the national colors shield and Heer adler(decal), were painted a smooth-finish light green(various shades of green) with the most desirable to many collectors being apple green. Despite regulations prohibiting as much this particular example has been polished for parade purposes which occured with apparent regularity. This magnificent example is in remarkable condition and in 30 years of being around these things I have only seen one nicer and that was a photograph in the 'bible' of German helmets. This helmet is featured in Tom Kibler's Wehrmacht reference "Combat Helmets of the Third Reich".

Cody
dvldogusmc
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 09, 2004 - 01:12 PM UTC
A good way to know the difference between the three types (M35, M40, M42) is too look at the types of vent holes and the edges of the helmet . The M35 used a seperate rivet for the vent hole and the helmet had rolled edges. The M40 has vent hole that is stamped into the helmet itself, not a separate piece and still has rolled edges. The M42 has a more flared out look to the helmet, stamped vent hole, and the edges are smooth. All these, as w/ most wartime designs, were results of saving metal and mass producing quicker. Something to remember, using early war helmets w/ later war uniforms is perfectly correct and authentic. The entire german army wasn't re-fitted with new helmets and uniforms everytime there was a change.

Marcus
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 07:41 AM UTC
As Marcus points out, pre-war M-35 shells, which have separate inserted vents, can be differentiated from war-time M-40 shells which have a stamped vent. The design was actually proposed in 1938 but the wheels of Third Reich bureaucracy sometimes turned slowly and the modification was not adopted until March of 1940. The same order also changed the texture and color of the paint from smooth-finish light green to coarse-finish medium/dark green(schiffergrau) and removed the national colors shield. Here is what is known in the parlance as an Army M-40sd(single decal) which is dated 1940 throughout.

Cody
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 11:14 AM UTC
This is an Army M-42sd. While the M-35 and M-40 had a 'rolled' edge war-time economy prompted the M-42 which was produced with an unrolled or 'raw' edge beginning in August 1942. Later in the war decals were not applied altogether on most combat helmets with the exception being Police helmets which carried double decals throughout the war.

Cody
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 11:36 AM UTC
...and a late-war Army M-42 without insignia. By 1944 quality standards had declined considerably and this example demonstrates as much with rather low-quality paint which has not adhered particularly well to the shell. Instead of the earlier encountered maker stamps to identify helmet components the chinstrap and linerband have been, for security purposes, RBNr #'d(Reichs Betriebs Nummer which is a 9-digit number assigned to Third Reich businesses late in the war).

Cody
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 02:28 PM UTC
The March 1940 regulation requiring the removal of the national colors shield was dealt with by either painting over the decal or scraping it off. This Army M-35dd has had the national colors shield painted over. While this helmet is not mint or close to it is terrifically attractive(to my eyes) and is why I retain it(for now).

Cody
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 03:56 AM UTC
Here is an example of another method a soldier might employ to comply with the 1940 regulation requiring the removal of national shield decals from front-line combat helmets. Unlike the previous example which has the national painted-over this helmet has had the decal scratched off. Notice the soldier was particularly careful not to damage the paint and only a vestige of the national shield decal remains. This M-35 is from a scarce maker(NS) and is painted an unusually dark shade of green.

Cody

Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 06:21 AM UTC
Waffen SS M-40sd. This particular maker('Q') did not produce many(if any)M-42's and likely made only M-40's till war's end. Dated 1943, the 1st-pattern SS shield has only the slightest damage to the top of the left rune. Because of the helmet's exceptionally fine condition it has been featured in three TR helmet books. They don't come any nicer than this.

Cody
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 06:26 AM UTC
Waffen SS M-40sd. 2nd-pattern SS shield can be differentiated from the 1st-pattern by the slightly 'blockier' design of the runes. This particular helmet was acquired locally from the veteran's nephew and as such is an 'indirect' vet-buy. This helmet is featured in Tom Kibler's first volume of TR helmets.

Cody
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 06:34 AM UTC
Waffen SS M-35dd. This helmet sports double decals as worn on Waffen SS helmets prior to the 1940 regulation requiring removal of same. The Waffen SS usually did not remove the decals from their helmets as a considerable 'espirit' compelled the average Waffen SS soldier to be quite honored by wearing SS insignia. The helmet is adorned with a 1st-pattern 'Pocher' SS-runes decal with the shield of the Nazi party on the left side. Though not in particularly tremendous condition it is a very handsome combat-used helmet.

Cody
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 06:59 AM UTC
Associated with the SS is of course the Police or 'Polizei'. While the Waffen SS are reviled for brutality and to an extent that is very true the police were the real 'bad boys' of the Third Reich by executing partisans and rounding-up prisoners destined for concentration camps. Here is a pre-war M-35dd Police helmet. The Police wore double decals on their helmets throughout the war and were never required to remove the party insignia.

Cody
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 07:05 AM UTC
The Police even wore double decals on the M-42. The Police M-42dd was the ONLY Third Reich M-42 to be officially issued with double decals. As seen here the Police insignia is the 2nd-pattern with the narrow border as compared to the 'early' 1st-pattern bird in the previous example which has no border.

Cody
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 02:18 AM UTC
The Luftwaffe was also issued combat helmets. Here is an 'early' pre-war M-35dd and a war-time M-40sd. The 'early' helmet can be identified as 'early' by the 1st-pattern Luftwaffe eagle(looks more like a chicken). In 1938 the Luftwaffe altered the artwork to the more dignified and aggresive 2nd-pattern. Notice the Luftwaffe painted their helmets in a grey-blue whereas the Army, Waffen SS and Police were issued helmets painted a field-grey(green/OD).

Cody
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 12:05 AM UTC
Luftwaffe M-35dd. This particular helmet was most likely used in Italy but Afrika is not out of the question. Study the color as it appears exactly on my screen as it does directly in front of you - there is no color shift. This is the color vehicles were painted in that region of the world in the early 40's.

Sourced from a NJ estate this very rare 'tropical' camoflaged helmet has had the decals painted around which was not unusual in the first stages of the war as the Germans were still filled with confidence and espirit. Later, camoflage was employed to it's full intent and soldiers would paint over the decal(s).

Early Luftwaffe helmets had two variations of the 'early' bird applied. This 1937-dated 'ET64' maker-marked helmet has applied the first 'early' bird known as a 'snake leg'. The decal variation can be differentiated by the back leg being a gentle curve while the other variation has a sharp bend in the leg. Not unusual for these very early manufactured pre-war M-35 Luftwaffe helmets there is the soldier's woven name-tag sewn into the leather liner.

Cody
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 12:19 AM UTC
Another Luftwaffe M-35dd which has had the decals painted over and is also a slightly different color than the previous example which clearly demonstrates the different colors of paint available to soldiers in the field. With the color as a guide it could likely be assumed this helmet was used in Italy.

Cody
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 12:23 AM UTC
While we're are talking about tropical combat helmets here is an Army M-35sd 'reissue' overpainted in tan for tropical regions. Notice the much more yellow tint to the color again demonstrating the variation of color available in the field. This would be the classical 'dark yellow' painted on vehicles.

Cody
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,250 Posts
KitMaker Network: 266 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 06:45 AM UTC
Hey Cory,

Great postings! I have read them all with great interest. Especially since I am wanting to start collecting WWII era uniforms, helmets and combat gear.

Are all of these from your personal collection?

I hope to see more of your great posts in the future!
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 07:31 AM UTC
Hi Anders,

Thanks. Yes, all examples are from my personal collection. I have been 'playing' with these things off and on for thirty years.

While on the subject of camoflage helmets here is a vet-sourced Luftwaffe M-42sd with the typical issue netting provided to troops for their helmets. It would appear there was at some point a half-hearted attempt to camoflage paint the thing as there is a vestige of tan spots on the left side. These are rare helmets as nets are by nature quite fragile and few survived the war in decent shape.

Thanks again,
Cody

AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,250 Posts
KitMaker Network: 266 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 08:57 AM UTC
Great stuff man!

I saw what you paid for one of those SS helmets, and it aint a cheap hobby, makes modeling seem like pocket change! Although militaria is somewhat of an investment of sorts.

You know where I can find a cheap 'junk' shell that is intact?
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 09:37 AM UTC
Hi Anders,

An inexpensive 'junk' shell can be had from eBay or you could try this link http://www.germanhelmetsinc.com/original%20helmet%20components.html Tell Ken I sent you.

If you are married real TR helmets in excellent condition are not easily justified. :-) A WSSdd in great shape will go for $7K today - if you can find a real one in the ocean of fakes. Militaria is an investment and a very sound one at that. I have opted to put my money in TR helmets instead of the stock market or company retirement funds as TR helmets have outpaced these choices by light-years. A $50K collection today will be worth $150K in 20 years. TR stuff has never been soft and it just keeps getting more popular. In the last 3 years helmet values have just gone nuts as more and more fakes are foisted on the market driving up the value of real items - especially 'one-looker' helmets in exceptional condition.

Cheers,
Cody
TheRedBaron
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
entire network: 88 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 16, 2004 - 07:59 AM UTC
Cody,

Wonderful Helmets! Do you have any Para helms? I was also wondering if you have any SS helmet covers? I have one in oakleaf and want to know if its original. Anyway to tell? The clips are the same as wartime versions, any other tips for ID? Wish I had a digital camera...!!!

RED