_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Am I becoming a Shermanaholic?
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2004 - 04:34 AM UTC
You need more Shermans.

ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 5,409 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2004 - 06:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Creative, intelligent people, with a taste for design and technology.

They are not interested in mass produced, monotone tin cans...

Those intelligent people were soundly defeated by the tin can so in the long run the mass production theory won out
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
entire network: 779 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2004 - 09:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Creative, intelligent people, with a taste for design and technology.

They are not interested in mass produced, monotone tin cans...

thats a good one, looks like you are not a big fan of the upside down wheelbarrows :-)
crossbow
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 1,387 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2004 - 07:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Those intelligent people were soundly defeated by the tin can so in the long run the mass production theory won out

True, but on the allied side I still prefer the Chaffee (ok perhaps not fully operational in WW2) to the Tommy cooker... but hey it's no Churchill or Bishop ...

But if you really want a design tank: http://www.jedsite.info/fulltrack/charlie/cobra_series/cobra-series.html

Way ahead of its time

Kris
Elad
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
entire network: 458 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 04:55 AM UTC
thanks mate,
I seen models of these, will make an awesome looking model.

any idea as for what was the use for these rockets? (fortification breeching maybe?)
were these aerial rockets adapted to land use?
just how common was this configuration?
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 06:25 AM UTC
IIRC the 60lbs was only carried by a handful of tanks. As it really had no aiming device it was a "best guess aim" type weapon. I think I read one was fired in the beginnings of Market Garden and basically just made a lot of noise when it took off and made a loud boom when it landed. It does look rather mean and that rocket shreiking sound along with the big boom of a near miss could certainly scare the hell out of some enemy troops. Overall I think it was more intimidation rather than effectiveness.
DBear
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 7 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 10:55 AM UTC
Don't worry, I hear it's not fatal (except to your wallet!). Besides, you're not the only one. I too have recently been bitten by the bug.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 03:34 PM UTC
The Typhoon rocket modification was used by the 1st Armoured Battalion of the Coldstream Guards. Each side was set at a different angle so they would hit at different ranges (most models show them at the same angle). According to Hunnicutt, they were too inaccurate to engage tanks, but were useful against roadblocks and wooden structures. Also good at convincing intantry to surrender or retreat.

DML VC Firefly kits have parts of these as extras in the kits. If you put a "want" in the "Searching for, Buy, Want or Sell" forum, someone may have an extra set they will give, trade or sell to you for cheap.
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,667 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 03:41 PM UTC
While we're on the subject of DML Firefly Vc's I notice that there's some applique cheek armour etc in there too,can anyone tell me which version of the sherman it's from and could I convert the Vc kit to an M4A4?
TIA
Pete
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 03:42 PM UTC
BTW Shermanaholics Anonymous needs you to quit building Shermans. You're drying up my supply of kits
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,667 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 03:51 PM UTC
If memory serves me correctly the rockets were set for 400 yards and 800 yards.There is a copy of a report on them over on shermantankmodeller,I'm at work right now but I'll try to post a link later.
Cheers
Pete
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 03:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

While we're on the subject of DML Firefly Vc's I notice that there's some applique cheek armour etc in there too,can anyone tell me which version of the sherman it's from and could I convert the Vc kit to an M4A4?
TIA
Pete

Get a low-bustle 75mm turret from a Tamiya M4 (or an afermarket low-bustle) and add the applique to that. That will give you an M4A4 75mm gun tank. Don't forget to put a .30 cal in the hull mount.
Elad
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
entire network: 458 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 04:32 AM UTC
I'm no Sherman expert but I think I once read that the Fireflys had a lengthened hull and the suspension units have been relocated with bigger space between them.

could be wrong though.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 05:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm no Sherman expert but I think I once read that the Fireflys had a lengthened hull and the suspension units have been relocated with bigger space between them.

could be wrong though.

Partly right. The Firefly VC was based on the M4A4 (Sherman V, to the Brits). The M4A4 hull was longer because it's engine (Chrysler multi-bank) needed more room. Other Fireflies were based on the M4 (Sherman I) and M4 composite hull (Sherman I Hybrid) and were called the Firefly IC. The "C" denotes the 17 pounder gun -- the thing that really distinguished the Firefly. Pete's talking about converting a Sherman VC (aka Firefly VC) into a Sherman V (M4A4 75mm gun tank).

Hope this makes sense!
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 05:21 AM UTC
Elad ..He meant for you to use just the turret from the Tamiya kit and the hull from the Dragon Firefly kit ..The firefly is based on the M4A4 hull. A few other things should not be used such as the gun crutch on the rear hull and the gun cleaning rods. So if you add a .30 cal. in the front and change the turret for the tamiya one you will have a good representation of an M4A4.

Rick
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 06:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

TIA
Pete

Either of DML's M4A4 75mm equipped kits are not too difficult to find. While mine is the version with the rockets, the instructions are the exact same ones as the regular M4A4 (even has the box art photo of the Chinese M4A4 on the front page). The only difference is the rocket parts, decals and an errata sheet showing what to do with the new parts. They are kits 6035 (M4A4) and 6041 (w/rockets).
 _GOTOTOP