_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Health and Safety
Have a question about what is safe or an experience that might warn others?
I'm suddenly accident prone.
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 04:05 PM UTC
This week I cannot do even the simplist modeling task without some disaster falling. Earlier in the week I managed to get superglue on my teeth.
Yesterday whilst watching telly and sinking a few beers I was cutting a part from its sprue. The knife slipped and gouged into my finger. It took three layers of sticking plaster before the blood stopped leaking through.
I wonder if God is trying to tell me to get a new hobby?

Isn't it amazing how fast the brain works sometimes? In the split second between the knife striking bone and the pain starting, my brain had time to flash the thought "Oh ****, that's gonna hurt big time."

And is does.

By the way, the part that caused the accident is number B7 from Tamiya's 1/48 Mosquito. If anyone else is planning on building this kit be VERY careful when removing this part, there is obviously some flaw in the design.
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,305 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 04:11 PM UTC
brandydoguk,
I wish you a speedy recovery. Funny you mention it, but once the Xacto knife rolled from the kitchen table and fell straight into my bare big toe nail. Man, it hurt like the devil and when I pulled it out, bled like a river. Even worse - couple of days later I had to run an annual Navy PT test (1.5 mile, pushups, situps.) Everyone hurt - running hurt (obviously), pushups hurt (since I had to be on that toe) and situps hurt (because a guy had to hold my feet while I did them.
I feel for you, my friend. But you must soldier on. We need your modelling skills.
Ciao for now
Rob
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 05:27 PM UTC
The scars, the pain, the paper towels you could of used on spilled paint. Tis a treacherous hobby we undertake!
Invest in goggles and KEEP YOURSELF AWAY FROM CHILDREN! :-)

Cuhail
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 05:41 PM UTC
So far my knife hs rolled off the table and dropped on my leg a couple of times - I got one of those shaped erasers that fit onto a pencil and put that on the handle - doesn't roll anymore. I've also dropped a mini-drill (whilst working!) on my leg.
Treat them as scars of honour!!
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,667 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 06:24 PM UTC
I managed to slice thru the tip of my thumb with my xacto knife recently and sat there thinking "who painted this panther G blood red" doh!!!!
Pete
simonrw
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 53 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 09:45 PM UTC
I managed to stab myself in the right thumb with a Swann-Morton scalpel blade when I was 13. It was a new blade, so i didn't feel a thing, but It took about 20 minutes to staunch the flow....still got the scar on the ball of my right thumb too. Nowadays i just tend to repaint ny clothes with depressing regularity....
ave
Visit this Community
Klang, Malaysia
entire network: 417 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 10:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

brandydoguk,
I wish you a speedy recovery. Funny you mention it, but once the Xacto knife rolled from the kitchen table and fell straight into my bare big toe nail. Man, it hurt like the devil and when I pulled it out, bled like a river. Even worse - couple of days later I had to run an annual Navy PT test (1.5 mile, pushups, situps.) Everyone hurt - running hurt (obviously), pushups hurt (since I had to be on that toe) and situps hurt (because a guy had to hold my feet while I did them.
I feel for you, my friend. But you must soldier on. We need your modelling skills.
Ciao for now
Rob

ouch ouch ouch, i get goosebumps just thinking about the knife going through
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 884 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 10:26 PM UTC
Oh the danger! What other hobby will allow you to work with dangerous tools on a regular basis! I have many an xacto scar, I sheared the whole side of my index finger off (nice flat side to my finger,now helpful with small parts). I never knew blood could squrit so far! That stunning moment, when you think, "thats gonna leave a scar". Muttle on man, the pain goes away, the cut will heal, and you'll do it again sooner or later... The glory of model building!
Mahross
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 837 Posts
KitMaker Network: 183 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 03:15 AM UTC
My most recent accident wasn't done while modelling but did stop me doing any for a while which was a real bummer. I managed to rip all thumb nail out. which really hurt. I have only recently been able to do anything with it.

Ross
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,225 Posts
KitMaker Network: 463 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 04:12 AM UTC
About a year ago I was using my dremel with a saw blade on it. I was cutting some wood and thick plastic for a diorama that I was scratchbuilding.
While cutting the plastic the saw blade grabbed and pulled it out of my hand. When the saw came out of my hand, the plastic that I was cutting flew off and the saw blade, still on, went through my jeans and into my inner thigh. Very close to my manhood!!
I let out some words that even my wife did not know that I knew. By the time she came down the stairs my pant leg was soaked. She then rushed me to the hospital where I got 15 stiches. The doctor told me that if the saw would have gone any deeper it would have hit the artery. I had also lost about a quart of blood in the process.
When I finally got home I went back into my hobby room to clean up the mess, boy what a mess, it looked like someone had just been shot or the texas chainsaw guy came to visit.
So that is my story of my most recent modeling accident.
I don't think anyone can top this without actually dieing.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 04:20 AM UTC
Lol, you all gave me goosebumps! As for me, no actual pain has been recieve but most of the time, the fumes kill me. The resin manage to bring awful itchiness on my arms and legs. The fumes of thinner and spray paints caused me fever for the day and sometimes, some chest pains (and you thought your heart was gonna stop any moment).
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 04:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The doctor told me that if the saw would have gone any deeper it would have hit the artery. I had also lost about a quart of blood in the process.....I don't think anyone can top this without actually dieing

Quoted Text

and sometimes, some chest pains (and you thought your heart was gonna stop any moment).

I wonder if anyone has actually died from plastic modeling? That would really be a heroic way to go. And it would cause quite a giggle at the inquest I'm sure, imagine the report from the medical examiner....

"The deceased died from accidentally cutting his leg off with an exacto blade. The fact that he'd also superglued himself to the table meant he was unable to get to his first aid box, and the plastic part that had become lodged in his throat stopped him from shouting for help. However, looking on the bright side, the Future floor polish that he spilled all over himself means he will not need embalming."
LogansDad
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 938 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 04:42 AM UTC
ROTFLMAO!!!! :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
Stop it Martin! You are gonna get me Fired!!!!!
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 05:03 AM UTC
Shonen,
I sure hope that you wear breathing protection while you are doing anything with resin. I heard that stuff ain't good for you at all.
Ciao for now
Rob
sniperwolf
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 86 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 08:15 AM UTC
I swear I get 1 cut from every blade I use. Every single knife I have used in the past year has given me 1 and only 1 cut. I guess it also applies to each exacto blade I put in my unit, as yesterday I put a sharper blade in and right away it slipped out of the styrofoam I was cutting and gave me a nice fingertip nip....
A-Train
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 715 Posts
KitMaker Network: 236 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 08:39 AM UTC
You guys were lucky. 2 years ago my dad was working on a buidling for me and he scliced his finger off with a jigsaw.
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 09:15 AM UTC
Well,
I can only say two things: I feel better about wounding myself, and Darn, you guys are dangerous!
Ciao for now
Rob
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 04:42 PM UTC
Brandydog, you're killing me here....... you use the grazy glue to stop the bleeding, (I do it all the time) and the knife to scrape the glue from the teeth....... (I don't do that) I simply take them out for a better view of the damage..... LOL

I gave up using old fashion exacto knives, they roll off the desk too easy, have penetrated my foot, and legs too often, I now use the newer ones with the built in square or hex tops, that prevent the rolling, plus they are cushioned so less harsh on my tender old hands.

I'm waiting for the ---- "I was simply not paying attention and drank my paint thinner" post------ duh.... guess what genius did that..... boy, oh boy, did I puke my guts up, didn't think the human body could hold so much...... but that was in my younger days before plastic teeth..... I now keep drinking on left......... thinners on right........ LOL
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 11:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I swear I get 1 cut from every blade I use. Every single knife I have used in the past year has given me 1 and only 1 cut. I guess it also applies to each exacto blade I put in my unit, as yesterday I put a sharper blade in and right away it slipped out of the styrofoam I was cutting and gave me a nice fingertip nip....

Hey, this seems to be a universal habit for knife blades to require a "first blood", which is usually also the last. But once I managed to cut myself thrice in one go! I was picking up my modeling knife I had put on a chair, I rested my right hand on the chair and grabbed to my left hand and then I pulled my right hand off the chair and the knife made three cuts, one for each finger it hit. I didn't even remember to swear as I was quite amazed by this accident.
Another funny thing happened to my index finger as I was cutting some PE parts from the frames. I used a separate not-so-fresh blade because I had just replaced the blade in my knife and I didn't want to dull it right away. So I used this separate blade and pressed it against the PE frame to separate the part. After I finished cutting the part I noticed there was a groove in my finger and I thought that it was just an imprint. But when the imprint started to bleed, I realized I had cut myself. One would think that after one cut you would avoid cutting parts by pressing with a blade; But no, I tried this twice more and each time I got a clean cut in my finger!
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 12:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Shonen,
I sure hope that you wear breathing protection while you are doing anything with resin. I heard that stuff ain't good for you at all.
Ciao for now
Rob

I must agree. I buy only veryyy rare resin items (F-14A and F-16C Detail set from Verlinden are the ones in stock right now). Instead of using a power tool to scrape off the large chunk of excess resin, I do it the old way by wet sanding Whoops... I meant sanding in water :-) This minimizes the dust. Still, I wear full protection suit :-) Believe me, when working with resin, I look like a scientist with a long sleeve lab gown, face mask (and I mean face mask - include the nose, mouth and eyes). Just look at that.
bracomadar
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 410 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 12:31 AM UTC
Probably the worst thing I’ve done while making a model was burn myself really bad with freshly melted hot glue I was using on a building for a diorama.

Lesson # 1949: Aways keep a bowl of water nearby when working with hot glue!

I got a big glob on my finger which burned like he77, and instinctively I put it in my mouth to cool it, so then my hand, tongue, and lips were all scorched and there was a string of hot glue running from my hand to my mouth. I felt horrible and must have even looked more horrible. I couldn’t grab it because it would get stuck to something else, so I just had to wait until it cooled, which was only a few seconds, but felt like forever. Cuts hurt for a while and usually don’t bother you that much unless you touch them, but get burned and every little movement hurts. Besides that, I've never had any terrible accidents with my hobbies (except screwing up a few models now and then) *knock on wood*. There was this other time however; when I messed with someone else’s hobby and got hurt. I was about 4 years old I was prowling around my mom's sewing supplies and found some razor blades she used to cut thread. Well, I was sitting on the edge of a bed, was only in my underwear (I'm 4 years old mind you) and I dropped a razor blade between my legs. I tried looking for it and finally found it. When I brought my hand up I had blood all on it. I had cut a 1" gash on my inner left thigh and hadn't even felt it. That had to be the worst blood letting I ever had in my life. I thought it would never stop. I never got stitches and to this day I have a nice scar where that happened.
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,462 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 04:04 AM UTC
you should not drink and build models lol,
the wrost thing that happned to me was the
xcator knife rolled off my desk and stuck in my leg,
with a brand new blade lol.
now that hurt lol
but feel better
Dixon66
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 1,500 Posts
KitMaker Network: 154 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 04:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Earlier in the week I managed to get superglue on my teeth.

Martin, I'm really afraid to ask, but how did you manage that?

Dave S.
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 04:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Earlier in the week I managed to get superglue on my teeth.

Martin, I'm really afraid to ask, but how did you manage that?

Dave S.

Heh heh, I have a terrible habbit of holding parts in my teeth to free my hands for a few seconds. This time I had put some superglue on the part.
I managed to get the part off but even now after 4 or 5 days vigorous brushing i can still feel a small amount of the glue on the surface of one tooth.
 _GOTOTOP