_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Air brush
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2002 - 07:14 AM UTC
Sancho, you could use the one from the link you provided but, be aware that you will not get the kind of finish you would likely expect. While it's price may seem enticing, it's ability to give a decsent finish is suspect.
You would do yourself a big favor and wait till you can save up enough money to get one of the more well known quality ABs. If you start off with a lesser quality AB, you may end up being turned off to ever getting one later.
Just my 2 cents.
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 1,027 Posts
KitMaker Network: 269 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2002 - 11:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well sorry ScreamingEagle, I don't exactly have $150 a can spend on an airbrush, all I need is something that works, nothing that does miracles.

Hey I'm just trying to steer you in the right direction.
$150 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( not if you look in the right places )
You can buy an Iwata or any other good airbrush for under $80 ......$100 the most !
BearAir also has the Paasche VLS set for $49, which is a "die-hard " airbrush.
- If I recall you asked for help.... in your own words:

Quoted Text

I would like to know what I want in an air brush, why it's better

- ralph

- ralph
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2002 - 12:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Some modeler's might tell you to start off with a single-action AB, but I think
it's a bunch of baloney. I started with a double-action( DA ) and I took to it immediately.
You will be able to do a lot more with a DA, especially when it come's to very fine
detail.

Ralph cannot be more precise on this. I started with a single-action AB, and I am bitter about the money I spent on the SA AB, and also the first couple models I had ruined because of it. Go get the best DA AB you can. WOn't regret it!

SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2002 - 12:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sancho, you could use the one from the link you provided but, be aware that you will not get the kind of finish you would likely expect. While it's price may seem enticing, it's ability to give a decsent finish is suspect.
You would do yourself a big favor and wait till you can save up enough money to get one of the more well known quality ABs. If you start off with a lesser quality AB, you may end up being turned off to ever getting one later.
Just my 2 cents.

Ken is right about this.

If I can spare a bit more money, this is how my logic works while purchasing anything. I divid the amount I spent by the usage I get out of it, say if I pay 150 for an AB, and it's good for 3 to 4 years before I need to replace it, it's about 50 bucks a year, and 4 bucks a month. and one buck a week, pretty good deal to me. If you think like this, everything falls into place.... #:-) #:-) But it's just me....
Bribo
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 205 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2002 - 09:09 AM UTC
How do those who've used the Iwata compare it to a Badger 155?
Also, another great place to try is www.dixieart.com. They are down here in new orleans, but they will ship anywhere. Some of the best prices I have seen on Badger, Paasche, and Iwata.
Dubanka
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 152 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 08:25 AM UTC
Thank you guys and gals for the advice and the link to the 89.99 Aztec. I just purchased one from modelexpo.com.......

As you guys may remember, I was considering a Paasche VL, but the almost overwhelming acclaim for the Aztec won me over....I was actually bidding online for a used one until I saw this thread.

THANKS A MILLION

John
 _GOTOTOP