TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Why do they have to "rewrite" books to movies
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2004 - 05:47 AM UTC
I just wanted to rant a little here. I'm wondering why it's necessary for screen writers to feel they have to completely change a book when making it into a movie. One that comes to mind is a movie I saw on the tube this weekend, Watchers, based on a novel by Dean Koontz. In the book it's a middle aged guy and his girl friend who are harboring the super intelligent Golden Retriever from the evil creature. In this lame movie it's some pimply faced kid and his mother who not only have to contend with the creature but also some secret government agent who is a cold blooded killer. In this particular case the movie's script sucked, so even if they had kept it exactly like the book it wouldn't have helped. I can think of other movies though where the movie wasn't bad, but it still wasn't the same as the book. Why can't screen writers leave well enough alone?

airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2004 - 06:14 AM UTC
one movie that comes to mind when thinking of books to movies, you think of the harry potter movies, they stuck really well to the book!

One movie I want to see made is Point Of Impact by Stephen Hunter, its a great book, and would transfer extremely well to a movie form.
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2004 - 06:15 AM UTC
I think it's a combination of factors, not all books translate well to the screen and writers love to make things their own.

Some books do need some fine tuning or adjustment to be put into screenplay form for sure, others are done because (IMO) the writers want to give you their 'imagining' of the story. If the writers wanted to give us a different story then just write one, stop ruining other peoples work. I have had a hard time with Clancy's books being put to movies because of this, how they change characters and storylines.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2004 - 06:53 AM UTC
Time....Time...Time..... I think a Tom Clancy Novel would hit 6hrs in lenght!!!!
sniperwolf
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 86 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2004 - 06:55 AM UTC
To make Sum of All Fears politically correct, they changed the villains from arab terrorists to neo-nazis
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2004 - 07:05 AM UTC
Tom Clancy is a case in point, 'Sum Of All Fears' was written with a fundamentalist nutcase behind the nuclear attack. Following September 11th, it was re-shot to include (the rather weak line) Neo-Nazis as the bad guys.. Hollywood is probably more 'sensitive' to world affairs than we would imagine, not through fear of upsetting anyone, but rather of damaging their corporate image... ...Jim
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2004 - 07:30 AM UTC
The rewrites are often for time compression or political correctness. However, sometimes its because the producers son-in-law thinks he's a writer. Too man good books have been ruined by bad re-writing.

Band of Brothers by Stephan Ambrose is not that thick of a book yet it took 10 hours of broadcast time to relay the story.

I agree on Tom Clancy books - great books, poor movies because of the rewrites.
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2004 - 07:36 AM UTC
They also annoyed the hell out of me with Clear and Present Danger, changing Clark to a mercenary?! I wish they had made Without Remorse into a movie as the rumor mill had it a couple years ago. They had Gary Sinise slated to play Clark, he's a bit small for the part but his acting intensity would make up for that. Now with him on CSI New York his time will be filled up.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2004 - 01:04 PM UTC
One word...Sales.
A kid and a mother is going to sell more tickets at the box office than a middle aged couple (mom and dad to the target audience).
I agree, Stephen Hunter's Swagger family series would make a heck of a set of movies. I could see Sean Pean as Earl, Jr.
firemann816
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 790 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2004 - 02:43 PM UTC
When Hollywood makes a decision on PC grounds they always seem fine with offending white conservatives.

Not that I want them to offend a minority group, that happens daily by some idiot anyway.

It just seems if Hollywood has to villify someone these days - they dont have the cajones that Clancy himself does.

Now I ask you -
who do you have more respect for?
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3,172 Posts
KitMaker Network: 612 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 11:06 AM UTC
Now you know what us comic book fans go through when they make big screen versions of comic book characters For example Superman Two Take General Zod In the comics he was a clean shaven,bald,and wore a military uniform,with jack boots In the movie he has hair,a beard and a non-military uniform
As far as Ursa goes,she was never in the comic books The female comic version was Faora Hu-Ul Where they came up with the name of Ursa I have no idea

I guess they figure it's better to please a million movie goers than a thousand comic book fans