_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Union Jack Club
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
UK Model Shop Directory
FuNsTeR
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 273 Posts
KitMaker Network: 27 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 08, 2009 - 11:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Sadly one I'd not recommend is Plastic Pastimes in Poole. The owner is the most rudest shop owner I have had the misfortune to meet. Makes Basil Fawlty look like a mild mannered reasonable individual.

My first (and last) experience which I asked for a kit they did not have I was subjected to a verbal outburst about all the excuses he'd heard over twenty years for not buying a kit ,which culminated in him calling me an a***hole. I kid you not.

Having my eight year old son with me I asked him to moderate his language but he was unrepentant and stormed off out the back of the shop.

It's one of those experiences you are so taken aback by and can't believe is happening that you fail to give as good as you get and go away wishing you'd said or done more.

Apparently after speaking to other modellers, retailers etc. he has a terrible reputation which goes way beyond the local area and obviously shouldn't be in retail with his attitude and issues. One to avoid and I'll never buy from even if it's the one kit I've always wanted.

Happy modelling

Alan

Blimey!
He trades as Polar-bears-3-kits-cats on e-bay and I've bought quite a bit of stuff from them and never had a problem.

if that is the guy i think it is i heartily agree with you, i have recieved some good bargains from him, and he is fast and efficient
ludwig113
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,381 Posts
KitMaker Network: 176 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2009 - 08:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I can't praise Models For Sale enough. They always despatch within 24 hours. Compare this to Model Hobbies who I placed an order with 12 days ago. It's still 'processing'! The item was supposed to be in stock too. I've also found Hannants quite slow. Certainly compared with Models For Sale anyway.

modes for sale and netmerchants are the quickest i've come across,hannants do stock alot but do take their time....................
Dutchy3RTR
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 340 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 03, 2010 - 06:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Sadly one I'd not recommend is Plastic Pastimes in Poole. The owner is the most rudest shop owner I have had the misfortune to meet. Makes Basil Fawlty look like a mild mannered reasonable individual.

My first (and last) experience which I asked for a kit they did not have I was subjected to a verbal outburst about all the excuses he'd heard over twenty years for not buying a kit ,which culminated in him calling me an a***hole. I kid you not.

Having my eight year old son with me I asked him to moderate his language but he was unrepentant and stormed off out the back of the shop.

It's one of those experiences you are so taken aback by and can't believe is happening that you fail to give as good as you get and go away wishing you'd said or done more.

Apparently after speaking to other modellers, retailers etc. he has a terrible reputation which goes way beyond the local area and obviously shouldn't be in retail with his attitude and issues. One to avoid and I'll never buy from even if it's the one kit I've always wanted.

Happy modelling

Alan

Blimey!
He trades as Polar-bears-3-kits-cats on e-bay and I've bought quite a bit of stuff from them and never had a problem.

if that is the guy i think it is i heartily agree with you, i have recieved some good bargains from him, and he is fast and efficient

I'm local to this shop and while I agree that Ray can be a little 'gruff' face to face his service is next to none as an ebay seller. I visit regularly and these days his wife Judy tends to the shop front most of the time leaving Ray to sort and wrap the ebay sales.

I would recommend a visit, if only to browse the huge stock of all genres of models they have. There are usually a few bargains to be had too so you wouldn't be wasting your time.
Sapper131
Visit this Community
entire network: 110 Posts
KitMaker Network: 9 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 02:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Happy modelling

Alan

Blimey!

I would have to agree there as well, ive brought a number of kits from him including the new challenger and the stryker fsv at very good prices with no problems but then ive not had to deal with him face to face. Maybe you caught him on an off day LOL.
lordderfel
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 37 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 - 04:23 AM UTC
I've had a problem with Model Hobbies of Stoke on Trent: I received damaged goods, returned as requested, and not received a refund. They claim not to have received the stuff back. So no goods and no refund. Never will I use them again or recommend them to anyone. Oh and emails take forever to get a reply.
lordderfel
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 37 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 - 04:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I can't praise Models For Sale enough. They always despatch within 24 hours. Compare this to Model Hobbies who I placed an order with 12 days ago. It's still 'processing'! The item was supposed to be in stock too. I've also found Hannants quite slow. Certainly compared with Models For Sale anyway.

modes for sale and netmerchants are the quickest i've come across,hannants do stock alot but do take their time....................

Models for Sale are great. Fast and efficient service. Can't recommend them more highly.
Paul-H
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 234 Posts
KitMaker Network: 21 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 17, 2011 - 04:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

its sbmodels

http://www.sbmodels.net/SB_Scotia.html

they have some really nice stuff, would be a shame if they are no longer trading.

http://www.sbmodels.uk.net/ is still trading

Paul
FalkeEins
Visit this Community
entire network: 868 Posts
KitMaker Network: 46 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 02:37 AM UTC

http://www.frattonmodelcentre.co.uk/Home.html

Fratton Model Centre ( Fratton, Portsmouth..)

nice big shop, lots of shelves although unfortunately some of them are empty. Nice cabinet of build up models, plenty of second hand mags (Airfix, Scale models..) to browse through. In the high street, you can't miss it ...
r2d2
Visit this Community
entire network: 424 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2011 - 11:39 AM UTC
Anyone from East Sussex? I'm from Hastings and there are a couple of local shops here though the selection are quite few. I sometimes ended up in Eastbourne to source out supplies.
Krieg-Hammer
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 106 Posts
KitMaker Network: 14 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 08:05 AM UTC
Pippins toys in Stirling

Baker Street, Stirling, FK8 1BJ

http://www.pippenstoys.co.uk/
Krieg-Hammer
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 106 Posts
KitMaker Network: 14 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 08:13 AM UTC
Ps, I'd recommend Wonderland Models in Edinburgh. Brilliant shop with a wide selection and reasonably priced.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 08:54 AM UTC
Salisbury now has two model shops in what is a very small city. You have Sailsbury Model centre as mentioned earlier in the thread and located on Fisherton St (two doors away from an all you can eat chinese ), and Endless Models on Endless St in Salisbury. Both of these stores have a reasonable selection of models and tools and are worth a visit.
portonion
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 36 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 09, 2011 - 12:05 PM UTC
Jamieson's Models in Glasgow.

Fantastic selection, reasonably priced and the guys that work there are all fantastic.

If they dont have what you're looking for they'll even order it in for you.
aportsmouth
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 5 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 - 02:56 AM UTC
Many thanks for your hard work in putting together this directory. We run a model shop in deepest, darkest South Wales and have just been added to your listings. This really helps the independent shops to be noticed.

All the best,
Andrew

Raven Scale Models
RightSeatPilot
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 1 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 10, 2014 - 02:14 AM UTC
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone else has ordered from this site:

www.modelZgroup.com

a friend recommended it but just wondering if anyone has any experience with them?

cheers,

RightSeat
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 01:53 AM UTC
Hi there

Sadly, there is soon to be one less LHS, as Toys & Models in Newport, IOW is closing. It's a real loss - the only shop where you could buy any kits (apart from The Works' occasional offers) in the largest town on the Island, and they had a good selection, plus Humbrol paints and accessories.

I always supported them on the items they could get from their stockists, ordering from them even if it meant waiting a little longer than buying online, but shops like them are facing a really tough time in today's market.

If we're not careful, there will soon come a day when there are no local shops, and we have to buy everything mail-order. Some may say "So what?", but I reckon we'll miss being able to shop locally for the paint (or whatever) that we need unexpectedly. It'll be a three day wait, plus postage...

As Joni sang "You don't know what you've got till it's gone".

All the best

Rowan
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,439 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 06:38 PM UTC
Just found a good model shop,sell new and preowned have lots in stock.
http://www.kingkit.co.uk/

Karl
entlim
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 41 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 07, 2015 - 07:30 PM UTC
http://www.mjrmodelsandhobbies.co.uk/
Daisy Hill, Bolton
small shop, but always has a decent selection, although the website doesn't always reflect this..

Always has stuff on the FB page (Model Kits for less)

Friendly and good service
petrovich
Visit this Community
entire network: 2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 14, 2015 - 01:29 PM UTC
I use Drayton Model Shop or on the web look up the Magic Toy Box, best selection of floor to ceiling kits and railway items I have seen anywhere. Colin the proprietor gives first class service and is a font of knowledge.

210 Havant Road
Portsmouth
023 9222 1307

_GOTOTOP