TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
The Last Samurai
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 07:06 AM UTC
Rented this movie last night. All I can say is they gave it the wrong name. It should have been titled Mad Max Dances with Shogun (While Akira Kurasowa Rolls Over in His Grave). :-)
firemann816
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 790 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 05:28 PM UTC
I saw it and it was okay
not as good as I had hoped but the Samurai were depicted admirably, and some of the fighting scenes were well done.

Dances with wolves in the Far East.
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,085 Posts
KitMaker Network: 559 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2004 - 03:50 AM UTC
I saw this just last night too. It was allright, it could have been better thoughI give it a B++
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,161 Posts
KitMaker Network: 533 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2004 - 04:03 AM UTC
I loved this movie, sure it was similar to Dances With Wolves but I still thought it was great. It's about time Hollywood did a movie about Samurai and did a good job on it. Ken Watenabe was awesome, he definitely earned his Oscar nomination (and should have won I think) and the fight scenes were well done I thought. Zimmer did another great job with the soundtrack and Cruise surprised me and I thought he did a good job in this movie.

If you've not yet checked out the second disc, check out the deleted scenes. 'The Beheading' is a short and to the point scene that was well done, shows how the Samurai would hand out instant justice on the street if they needed to.

Of course it's not as good as Kurasowa's movies, I just watched The Seven Samurai again, man I love that movie.