TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
Patton-The movie-Tank Errors?
propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 25, 2004 - 03:48 AM UTC
I saw that George C Scott movie last night-it aired on AMC i believe. I was a little dissappointed in the tanks in the movie. It seemed like all the US tanks were walker bulldogs. And the dark yellow german tanks looked like A weird varient of a king tiger porsche turret..or maybe not at all!!

I dont know..no shermans at all, and I thought bulldog tanks were Korean era...Any opinions?
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 25, 2004 - 04:25 AM UTC
Basically the movie didn't take the time to do it right with the tanks, unlike Saving Private Ryan, Kelly's Heroes, or Bridge Too Far. I'm not up on modern US armor but I think the German tanks were either M48 or M60 tanks.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 25, 2004 - 04:38 AM UTC
The Germans were driving M48 PATTON tanks! Oh, the irony! :-)
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 702 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 25, 2004 - 02:09 PM UTC
I tend to go easy on movies for using incorrect equipment because it isn't easy to get enough of the correct vehicles without breaking the bank.
For a movie on the scale of Patton, it was more economically feasable to use the equipment provided by the Spanish Army, who provided forces for both sides, than to try to try to rent out shermans from the few European nations that still had some. Remember, movies back then only had budgets in the low 10s of millions, not the 200 million some studios are willing to shell out today. Plus, it would have been economic suicide to try to knock out enough faux-panzers to fill the ranks of the Germans. A Bridge Too Far had a much larger budget, which allowed it to spend the necessary money to gather the shermans it used in a film that eventually wound up being a box office bomb referred to by some critics as "An Hour Too Long."
If only a couple of tanks are needed, ala Kelly's Heroes, using more correct equipment is possible. Even then, it's almost impossible to get completely correct equipment. Yes, Kelly's Heroes used shermans, but they were fitted out in a gun-turret configuration not used by the US Army. ABTF used a lot of shermans, but many of them had incorrect HVSS suspensions, plus some M-24s were mixed in along with German tanks that looked like converted Leo 1s.
Try as they might, movie studios cannot strictly use authentic equipment due to scarcity and cost factors, so dumping on a movie because they didn't use the right vehicles for the period seems to be a lot of nitpicking and ignoring the story, which should be the most important factor in determining whether or not a movie was worth seeing.
propboy44256
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,038 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 01:14 AM UTC
this was just an observation,,I thought the movie was great..Long but great.

Quoted Text

I
Try as they might, movie studios cannot strictly use authentic equipment due to scarcity and cost factors, so dumping on a movie because they didn't use the right vehicles for the period seems to be a lot of nitpicking and ignoring the story, which should be the most important factor in determining whether or not a movie was worth seeing.

Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 489 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 04:23 AM UTC
If I am not mistaken, I believe A Bridge Too Far used a West German Leopard 1 variant for the German tanks which is better than M48's, but still...... that's Hollywood.
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 205 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 04:03 PM UTC
A little but did anyone notice that in Fareheit 9/11, when Moore is discussing United Defense, he mentions the Bradley, and then cuts to two short videos...both depicting a Warrior!
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 07:44 PM UTC
I know the Bundeswehr fielded M-47's, didn't they also use 48's prior to using their own Leopard?