_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: The Union Jack Club
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
proposed UK get together
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 10:22 PM UTC
myself and rowan are interested in planning a UK get together and were wanting you thoughts and to find out if you are interested too.

some of you may have heard of something called 'Tank command', they have been featured in military in scale, and are very popular with groups of buisinessmen etc.

tank command is based around groups or individuals using the 1/16 tamiya RC tanks to fight battles in an indoor simulated battlefield. they are based in gloucster, 5 minutes from the M5.

john guy, who i beleive is the owner has posted here a few times under the name of royalhussar, and is very interested in getting this off the ground.

what we are planning, is a combination of tank commands unique battle simulations, and an armorama UK model show of sorts. tank command have the indoor facilities, with on site catering facilities also.

myself and john have discussed this and they would also like to provide prizes for winners of the battles etc, possibly in the form of medals etc.

some costs would be involved, as tank command need to cover the cost of hiring the facilities and providing the prizes etc, john mentioned a figure of £20 each for the day. but considering tank command usually charge £15 per hour, i think this is a very reasonable figure.

i think it would be excellent to get something arranged, we could combine meeting each other, with a model show and some bloody good fun too!

what do you lot think, and who would be interested?

cheers

joe
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 17,582 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,250 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2004 - 06:45 AM UTC
Hi Joe

It sounds a great opportunity to meet up and have a real blast in the process!

Does the entry fee include a chance to take part in the "battles" - and some training for anyone who's not driven an r/c tank before?

When abouts is John aiming to hold the event?

All the best

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 8,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 963 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2004 - 07:43 AM UTC
This sounds great, Gloucster is a bit far, but to meet some of you guys would be worth it £20 for the day sounds like a good deal. I'm in, providing the timing is right.

Mal
A-Train
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 715 Posts
KitMaker Network: 236 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2004 - 08:08 AM UTC
I'll ask my dad.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2004 - 10:02 AM UTC
Starting a new job at this time of year means my holidays will be limited and weekends booked by the family, so count me out.
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2004 - 09:51 PM UTC
thanks for the replies gents,

the £20 includes training on the tanks, and the battles themselves, as well as prizes/medals etc awarded to the winners.

as far as timing is concerned, i was thinking of a date much later in the year, as was john guy, the owner.

obviously as its an indoor venue this would be fine.

cheers

joe
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 10:40 AM UTC
Joe,
sounds like fun but an easier solution might be at hand for a few of us some time back I proposed a meet at certain times of the year for north members at the royal armouries Leeds and IMP manchester not idela for every one here but a start for the future of armorama UK
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 09:12 PM UTC
davy,

i like the royal armouries idea, its only a quick blast up the A1 for me. manchester is a pain to get to though

from the sound of it, there wont be enough of us to make the tank command idea work. shame really, could have been a really good day!

cheers

joe
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2004 - 04:56 AM UTC
I'd be up for it if there was a meet up at the Royal Armouries, as I have no transport I'm limited on how far I can travel but Leeds is only 20 minutes away by train so that would be ideal. That's assuming that the timing was OK and I wasn't working. [Mind you,I could always take a sickie]
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,667 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 28, 2004 - 05:29 AM UTC
Hi Joe
How many do you need to make the tank command day out a goer?
Pete
 _GOTOTOP