_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: IPMS
Topics about IPMS (International Plastic Modeler's Society).
question for all you IPMS judges out there...
Yellow_Snow
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 39 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 11:49 AM UTC
NATS is fast approaching and I'm thinking of entering something. This will be my first contest and have a few questions about what judges look for. Besides the obvious thing with seams, bad paint, exaggerated weathering, crooked wings, etc, what else are judges finicky about? Would they notice ejector pin marks on the inside of a aircraft fuselage? Or if doing something totally OOB, and something is blatantly missing from the interior but was not provided in the kit, would this pose a problem? Any tips you judges might have would be appreciated. I don't expect to win anything at all seeing as this is NATS, just want to make sure I have something halfway decent for them to look at and not feel that I wasted their time
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 12:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

NATS is fast approaching and I'm thinking of entering something. This will be my first contest and have a few questions about what judges look for. Besides the obvious thing with seams, bad paint, exaggerated weathering, crooked wings, etc, what else are judges finicky about? Would they notice ejector pin marks on the inside of a aircraft fuselage? Or if doing something totally OOB, and something is blatantly missing from the interior but was not provided in the kit, would this pose a problem? Any tips you judges might have would be appreciated. I don't expect to win anything at all seeing as this is NATS, just want to make sure I have something halfway decent for them to look at and not feel that I wasted their time

Well - I'll be at the Nationals this year and I'll be judging too. I wish you luck!

You've hit most of the basics that the judging teams are going to be looking for in the room. I am a very disciplined modeler because I go to IPMS-style events. If you know there are ejector pin marks, seams, gaps, sinkholes, and other manufacturing artifacts left on your entry - get rid of them. Other modelers have contrary opinions and leave these things there because they "think" they won't be noticed - and then wonder why they don't perform up to their expectations.

Judges are model builders too - and likely have built the kit you're displaying in the contest - they know where these little flaws are. I do - that's why I judge armor models.

If you are entering an OOB model - then you have nothing to worry about in adding detail not provided in your kit. It's all about what you did with your kit - not what you added to it. Keep your instruction sheet handy and available with your entry - especially if your OOB kit is an unusual or little-known product.

Same applies if you're entering a heavily reworked or detailed subject. Provide some notes. In the olden days (1970's and 1980's) most advocated Index Cards to list these additions to your kit because they were small and could be placed on the table with your model and not take up a great deal of space. However, with technology comes exaggeration - and some create elaborate "brag books" with photos and notes on every detail the modeler considers germane to the miniature on the table. Personally speaking, I don't have the time to get into a "brag book" like that. It's nice and all - but if you've took all that time to create it, but blew basic construction techniques, the party might end prematurely...

If you're entering something a bit odd and off the beaten track, a brief listing helps the judging team(s) out quite a bit.

The best advice I can give you is to nail the basics of construction, paint finish, markings, and weathering. In my first National Convention appearance, I was fortunate enough to Win, Place, and Show in all the categories I entered. But, that was because a fellow modeler helped me and coached me in nailing down the basics and what judges on the National Level are looking for in the first cut - the elimination round if you will.

8 out of 10 modelers get so excited with all the extra "stuff" they're going to add to their showstopper that they totally forget to put the model kit together soundly. When you go to the Nationals and enter your model, spend some time everyday and look at the entries.

Misaligned parts, crooked track runs, hatches and hinges hanging out in space all over the place, anti-gravity stowage, droopy wings and stabilizers, warped helicopter blades, NASCAR racers with three wheels touching the table and one "up", ships with main and auxiliary masts warped and canted off the vertical - all these things just kick you out of the serious running even before it gets going.

The OOB model might appear to be a fast-track to a winning entry at the Nationals - but I think it's the toughest. OOB is all about skill in demostrating the basics of modeling. A well-done OOB kicks a shoddy-constructed superdetailed model right in the butt.

If I run into your there, I'd be happy to hang-out and share some judging perspective(s) with you before the doors are closed and things go down. There are dozens of other experienced judges in other modeling genres who'd be happy to welcome you too and take you around to show you what judges look for.

Remember most of all - the National Model Contest is supposed to be "big time" - but it is fun too. Don't get too intense and wrapped up in it - but look around, ask questions, and make new friends. Win or lose - it is only a result of what a bunch of guys thought about your model one Friday night in August. Tomorrow is another day - build another kit - and share the fun with someone else. You've already "won" simply by showing up and sharing with the rest!

Gunnie
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 02:03 PM UTC
Amen to what Gunnie said.

Keep your eyes, ears and mind open. There are a lot of things you can learn at the Nats.

And don't waste your money on trivial things like food and shelter -- spend it all on the vendors!
Yellow_Snow
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 39 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 04:37 PM UTC
Thanks guys. I'll likely be entering a OOB 1/72 B-25. It's a great kit, any flaws in construction and finishing will be my own, not the kit's fault. My only real concern is the interior of the fuselage is laden with ejector pin marks. I dunno how visible they will be with everything assembled, or how hard judges will peak through the hatches with penlights to see, but I guess I'd best err on the side of caution and remove them .
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 04:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks guys. I'll likely be entering a OOB 1/72 B-25. It's a great kit, any flaws in construction and finishing will be my own, not the kit's fault. My only real concern is the interior of the fuselage is laden with ejector pin marks. I dunno how visible they will be with everything assembled, or how hard judges will peak through the hatches with penlights to see, but I guess I'd best err on the side of caution and remove them .

Ya never know, so it's best to do your best. Good luck!
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 547 Posts
KitMaker Network: 268 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 06:19 PM UTC
I am no judge, but here is my tiny tip: treat every part of the model as if it was going to be seen by a judge. The ejector pins inside the airplane-- take care of them, better safe than sorry.

Guntruck gave a great response, and just to hammer that point home--basics! Like he said many modelers dont make it past the first cut because of basic errors.

I know IMPS has a rule book with the basics that judges look for, it helps remind me and provides a check list for me when I am building a kit.

Sean
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 21, 2004 - 03:30 AM UTC
What Gunnie said.
I haven't judged at the Nats, only been to one in Virginia Beach, but I've been judging for years in local and regional events.
The models that don't make my first cut loose on the basics.
Silvered decals (and since you're talking A/C that's a biggy) are a quick killer. This error shows up alm,ost immediately.
Seams, especially gun tube and fuselage, are next, since they just go on forever.
Alignment of wings. You Mitchell has significant dihedral so make sure the wings are even and make sure the tail is sitting properly. Make sure the landing gear is absolutely square.
Paint. Make sure you havea nice consistent finish and the decals match the finish reflectance. You have a lot of glazing, even if it's a gun nose -25. Make sure your frame work is absolutely crisp.
You're doing OOB, so check The IPMS Competition Handbook for acceptable modifications within OOB rules.
Remember, you have to be a member of IPMS/USA to enter. If you're not already, save a couple bucks and join today. Dues go up to $25 on 1 July (from $21 right now).
The Mebership Application is available here.
 _GOTOTOP