_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Question about Tamiya M3A2 Halftrack figures
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 01:15 AM UTC
Does anyone know if the set of 9 figures that come with Tamiya's M3A2 Halftrak can also be purchased separately? I only need the figures, not the halftrack, so spending $30 on the whole thing would be an overkill for me.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 01:20 AM UTC
If memory serves me correctly I have seen them sold separately. I don't see them often but I believe I've seen them..
Guys chime in if I'm wrong.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 01:33 AM UTC
Yes, it was called US Combat Group, set #35080 but it only contained 8 figures. I think the driver came on the half track sprue, but I could be wrong.

I had a set but gave them away to Yodaman a couple years ago. I do still have some of the ones in my unbuilt M3A2 kit though.
esc71
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 222 Posts
KitMaker Network: 57 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 01:34 AM UTC
If the kit is still in production, I believe you can purchase individual parts trees. I could be wrong but maybe you could go that route. Maybe check the Tamiya America website for some contact info.

UPDATE: This is from the customer service portion of their page:

How does Tamiya sell plastic model parts?
Tamiya America sells plastic model parts by the entire part tree. As such, if you need A-16 and A-29, you will need to purchase the entire “A” tree.

Found one on ebay too:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16511&item=5903612875&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Currently $4.99. 8 hours left.

shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 01:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes, it was called US Combat Group, set #35080 but it only contained 8 figures. I think the driver came on the half track sprue, but I could be wrong.

I had a set but gave them away to Yodaman a couple years ago. I do still have some of the ones in my unbuilt M3A2 kit though.

I got here the same kit which I found to be a good collector's item (this one's labeled 1975!!) And yes, the driver comes out with the Halftrack.
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,305 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 01:55 AM UTC
Marty,
Listen, I built the halftrack, but never needed the figures. If you want them, I can mail them to you.
Ciao for now
Rob
Marty
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 03:07 AM UTC
Rob (Husky1943), I have just sent you a PM. Let's talk details.

Everyone else, thank you for your comments.
Sabot
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 06:35 AM UTC
Let me know if you want any of the generic standing troops. I only plan on using the seated ones.
LogansDad
Visit this Community
entire network: 938 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 07:09 AM UTC
Rob- Whattaya know, I'm looking for some WWII US infantry. Would you be willing to part with them to cover the cost of shipping the NX-01 to you? Still not sure what it'll cost, many aircraft deliveries here @ work so I've been overtiming. I'll be sure to get it out by Sat. though...
Oh, yeah, have fun with the Motor pool visit. Maybe next year for me...
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 08:08 AM UTC
Marty,
They are in the mail. Should arrive in two days.

Logansdad,
I don't really understand your e-mail. If you need anything, let me know. What's an "NX-01" anyway?

Ciao for now
Rob
LogansDad
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 08:36 AM UTC
SO SORRY Husky!
My message was actually intended for Rob(in Gronovius- Sabot)! I picked up the NX-01 (new Starship Enterprise) for him at my local HobLob. I was hoping he might swap His 1/2trak figs for the cost of my shipping his kit to him. I usually just use screen names so I see why this is Confusing. Sabot is also a Major in the Nat. Guard, and he has an "open house" at his motor pool for Big A members- Last year some of the guys got to "road test" a 1:1 scale M1!!!!!
At any rate, sorry for the mix-up. Hope Sabot wasn't also confused . I have got to pay more attention

p.s.- Your screenname must stand for the most overlooked amphibious assaults in history, hein? Why is the Italian campaign always so overlooked? Why does France get all the glory? Why? Why?
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 03:10 PM UTC
logansdad,
No problem. I forget I'm known as Husky.
I have no idea why Italy is so underappreciated. Even historians seem to have overlooked it (other than Anzio and Cassino). I was stationed at NAS Sigonella for 7 years and I loved it. Ever since, I have been dedicated to modeling the Italian campaign. Yes, my name does come from the Greatest amphibious invasion in history (even bigger, since the Allies made an assault against more hostile divisions in Sicily than in Normandy.) The Italian campaign will always take a back seat to the Bulge. Shame.
Take care
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,462 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 03:36 PM UTC
my hobby store has this kit for 20 bucks,
i might get the m3a2 but i heard it was not used in the war
Marty
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2004 - 12:55 AM UTC
Rob (Husky1943) thank you very, very much. You have made my day...oh, what am I saying...you have made my month.
Sabot
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2004 - 01:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

my hobby store has this kit for 20 bucks,
i might get the m3a2 but i heard it was not used in the war

You are correct, the M3A2 was an improved M3A1 with simplified construction. The war ended before it had a chance to reach production. Since the US Army made the decision to go with fully tracked and enclosed armored personnel carriers (like the M59), the M3A2 was abandoned.
Sabot
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2004 - 02:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Rob- Whattaya know, I'm looking for some WWII US infantry. Would you be willing to part with them to cover the cost of shipping the NX-01 to you? Still not sure what it'll cost, many aircraft deliveries here @ work so I've been overtiming. I'll be sure to get it out by Sat. though...
Oh, yeah, have fun with the Motor pool visit. Maybe next year for me...

I've got numerous WW2 US figures that I will most likely never use. You are welcome to them. As soon as you tell me how much money I owe you and where to send it, I can mail them off as soon as tomorrow.

As far as the motor pool visit, tomorrow may possibly be the very last one. The Army is moving me around December and I will not be here next year. BTW, I am not in the National Guard.
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2004 - 02:01 AM UTC
whilst on the subject of half tracks,

which of the tamiya kits is best to represent a standard troop carrying version, used during WW2?

cheers

joe
Sabot
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2004 - 02:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

which of the tamiya kits is best to represent a standard troop carrying version, used during WW2?

Well, Tamiya makes three of them, the quad .50 M16, the 81mm mortar equipped M21, and the never used troop carrying M3A2.

Most experts I have seen posting on this subject say to use the rear compartment sides of the M21 (based off of the older M3) and the interior fittings of the M3A2. Appartently the M3A2 is longer than the standard M3 body.

I have also seen mentioning of using the old Monogram M3 half track body with the undercarriage of the better Tamiya kit. That is, if you can find the old Monogram kit.
LogansDad
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2004 - 02:28 AM UTC
O.K., I sent you a PM on this but let me now offer apologies and self-flagellate on an open forum> Rob(Sabot), I am sorry I demoted you to weekend warrior status. Regular Army personnell give much of their time wth little to no thanks so let me make this clear. Sabot(Major Robin Gronovius, US Army) IS NOT IN THE NATIONAL GUARD! Sorry to have stated such in my earlier post, I must have been thinking A-Guard(also a fine & worthy establishment).
Thank you sir may I have another!
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2004 - 03:41 AM UTC
Let's see -
Marty; you are welcome, my friend. Like I said, they needed a good home.

Tazz - pick it up. It can be backdated and their are lots of aftermarket stuff to help you with it. Sort of like a personal creation. But, definitely buy it. Who knows when someone is going to wise up and make a good half-track! Maybe, DML?

Logansdad - Dang, you sound like you offended the Marquis de Sade!

Sabot - So, what's it like being in the National Guard? Hehehehe

Ciao for now
Rob
(Retired USN, by the way)
Sabot
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2004 - 04:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Let's see -
Marty; you are welcome, my friend. Like I said, they needed a good home.

Tazz - pick it up. It can be backdated and their are lots of aftermarket stuff to help you with it. Sort of like a personal creation. But, definitely buy it. Who knows when someone is going to wise up and make a good half-track! Maybe, DML?

Logansdad - Dang, you sound like you offended the Marquis de Sade!

Sabot - So, what's it like being in the National Guard? Hehehehe

Ciao for now
Rob
(Retired USN, by the way)

Actually, I was in the National Guard for 3+ years while in college and ROTC (called the Simultaneous Membership Program). I had a real good time as a combat engineer and learned some good stuff. Although the beer and barbecue during annual training in 1985 was something I have yet to experience in the active Army.

I agree with Rob that the M3A2 is worth getting. I have one and have plans on backdating it to an M3A1 sometime in the distant future.
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2004 - 06:01 AM UTC
Sabot,
I'm just teasing you.
Actually, after the Gulf War (seems so long ago) I really had a new-found respect for National Guardsmen (and women.) I certainly respect and admire the brave National Guardsmen and women (and Soldiers and Marines) that are serving their nation in far off lands.
Ciao for now
Rob
 _GOTOTOP