Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Interested in learning how to pressure cast?
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 01:25 PM UTC
I am always willing to learn something new, and I'm real glad your willing to teach us, just let us know when your ready to start.

Best Regards Kerry
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 02:09 PM UTC
I'll have the pics of my Tank up in the Morning!!!

this Dial Up @ home is too slow....
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 02:56 PM UTC
Howdy Red4,

Just checkin' back in........

Tell ya what, you concentrate on your classes young man (make us proud! ), and all of us will wait for your 'Pressure Casting' article just fine...........

Tread.

Get your nose in the books!!...
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 10:50 PM UTC
OK, as promised!!!

Here's the outside of the cover. The tank started out as a 3 gallon Paint tank. Unneeded holse were plugged.

Inside of tank. Plexiglass was added for a Flat surface.

I only use about 20-30psi for casting.
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 11:06 PM UTC
I got my Tank Used on Ebay.... New they go for around 100.00usd...... The Guage and fittings are from the hardware store. Be sure to put a valve on to release the pressure prior to opening the tank.
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 11:28 PM UTC
Wow!!! Who knew so many folks were interested in this? Great response folks. I will be finishing up my classes this week so the article should follow shortly there after. I can tell you this much though...Matt and I have basically the same set up, although my paint pot isnt on its side. Mine is 2.5 gallon, but it basically the same set up. This should wet your appetite for what you will need....prepare to copy.

1. Air Compressor capable of at least 50 psi
2. Paint Pot...the bigger the better. (Flea Markets, Pawn shops etc..)
3. Pressure release valve.
4. Quick disconnect air fittings
5. Presssure guage
6. Air hose
7. Ball valve..(Red handled thing in Matts photo)
8. Teflon tape

The fittings on mine are 1/4". I 'm not sure if this is standardized across the board so check your paint pot first, before buying all the gizmo's. Its easier to do it right the first time, than continous returning. I took mu paint pot with me to the store (Home Depot) when I bought my hardware.......and still had to make an additional trip!!
Ok, now that you have your parts list...you can at least get started gathering your supplys. I'll be back soon!! Stay Tuned. "Q"
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 11:39 PM UTC
Hmm this sounds interesting . I d definately also like to know more.. Just please explain in detail the equipment that will be needed and if is available as for another use also and can be found in a nother way . like the Paint Pot..for people in other sides of the World. Take care with your classes and also keep us informed in that .

Thanks a lot Costas
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 12:13 AM UTC
Ideally, you'd have a regulator on the pressure pot as well. I have 1 on my compressor and one on the Air line so, I didn't see the need to have one on the tank as well.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 12:31 AM UTC
howdy Costas,

If I may?....A "paint pot ", is simply a metal container that (usually) auto body painters would use to paint cars. The desired paint is poured in, the lid is sealed (with the four large wing nuts shown in matt's photo), the 'pot' is then pressurized (by an outside compressor) to the desired air pressure, an air hose is attched to it with a spray gun on the end, and Voila!
The auto body man is ready to paint the car.

The main advantage to using a 'paint pot', is that the 'pot' itself would normally sit on the ground, and the actual spray gun that's in the hands of the auto body guy is much easier (and safer) to use and spray in all manner of positions without fear of paint dripping onto his newly painted surface.
Additionallly, the paint that is in the 'paint pot' can be stored that way for a short time, allowing the auto body guy to continue additional work without having to mix up another batch of paint.

This whole 'thing', is just another use for a tool that is used in something else.

Hope I didn't step on your toes Red4.

Tread.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 05:41 PM UTC
Howdy Tread thanks a lot for this description. Now the next step is to know how we use this for casting. so i am waiting for next step. TYhis is getting interesting

Thanks

Costas
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 08:58 PM UTC
It has been a long time, sense I been around one of them airless sprayers, but we used to use something like that when we painted barns and grain bins.
It had a big tank to pour the paint in, then tighten up the knobs, apply pressure.
I don't know, but it might be another source for a tank. I have no idea if there is anything left when there done with them.
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 12:06 AM UTC
Folks, I'm getting the article put together now. I will also briefly touch on evacuating air from the paint pot with a vaccum pump. This makes the castings a lot more detailed and crisp. I have to experiment with this a little first so I can make my determination on the hows and whys. It adds a step, but it is a worthwhile step. Are there any specifics that any of you want me to address specifically? I should have the article complete by the end of the week end. My email wont allow me to post a lot of pictures at once, so I might have to figure another way of getting them sent to the site, unless you all are comfortable with just having them posted here through Photobucket in one of the forums. Let me know. "Q"
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
entire network: 4,342 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 12:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My email wont allow me to post a lot of pictures at once, so I might have to figure another way of getting them sent to the site, unless you all are comfortable with just having them posted here through Photobucket in one of the forums. Let me know. "Q"

Red4,

The easiest way to send us your article with photos for publication is to use the new Support Center: http://support.armorama.com. You need to create a new account there, but it is quick and easy. Then just zip all your photos and the text of the article to single file and you will be able to send it to us using the upload function of Support Center while submitting your article there.

Pawel
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 01:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

"....Now the next step is to know how we use this for casting. so i am waiting for next step..."

Howdy again Costas,

More than glad to help. As to the "next step", I'd love to expand on this for you, but since our good Red4 is the one who began this helpful 'tech' thread (and is obviously working deligently to put it all together for us), and has given us a date for his presentation, I will kindly defer to his expertise and suggest you lean an ear his way when he spills his 'beans'
Thx should also go to matt for both supplying pics to help with our visualizing the equipment used, and heightening the anticipation factor.

I'm really looking forward to your 'article' Red4, and I think I speak for everyone here when I say.....

" HURRY UP!! "

Tread.

.......just teasing ya Red4.

You can't expect to leave such a tasty trail of crumbs, and expect us not to be right on your heels picking 'em up, and munching away on 'em.......hmhmhmmmm.
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 02:06 AM UTC
I will publish this as a Feature if need be..... as opposed to sticking it in the forums alone!!!!!

Tread, It's a funny thing that I just managed to finish my chamber when the subject came up!!!!!!!
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 04:10 AM UTC
The article is almost finished!! I have some more pics to add to it and then revise the writing, or better yet have the commander in chief (wife) check my writing skills...arrrgh. I am finished with my classes so no worries there, now it is straight ahead full steam to retirement!! I'll check out the new support system mentioned and see how that goes for uploading this beast. Thanks again for all of your interest. It wont be long now. See you guys/gals soon. "Q"
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2004 - 02:51 AM UTC
Well folks the article is done. BUT....I cant seem to get it to upload or make its way to Armorama! It might be server problems. I will try again a little later today. I have some work to get to. Hopefully things will work out and It'll get posted. Talk to you soon. "Q"
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2004 - 04:02 AM UTC
If not....email it to me.......
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2004 - 12:41 PM UTC
Matt, I am going to have to tweak some things to even email it. My mail programs, both of them in fact, will only allow me 10mb of attachments. I will send the text in one shot and the pictures in another. The total right now it sitting at 14 meg. Hopefully this wont take too long. Sorry for the delay folks. "Q"
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2004 - 01:55 PM UTC
Howdy Red4,

Hey....no need for apologies sir. I don't doubt you did your best despite a busy schedule to crank out a beauty!
And, I'm also glad to see both you and matt working together to get this thing published.

There's nothing like Armorama teamwork!

Tread.
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2004 - 02:02 PM UTC
Due to a damn Slow Dial up connection..... I'll get it published First thing Monday Morning....... When I get to work!!!!

Sorry for the delay guys. It should be worth the wait!!!!
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2004 - 02:10 PM UTC
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh
ouch
technology brings us together so easily yet separates us so guickly.

I wannnaaa see this feature. Can I help???
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2004 - 02:22 PM UTC
As of 10:20 pm EST all I have is the text.......... still waiting on Pics
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2004 - 05:54 PM UTC
okay, after several attempts in vain to send a CC to myself to see if the system is actually working....I quit. BUT...I did not get a non-delivery notification when I sent the stuff to Matt, Soooooooooo, I'm thinking it worked. Lets keep our collective fingers crossed. I really want to see this thing go forward. Hopefully all of you folks out there can take something positive away from this and put it to good use. I know my gears are turning in regards to new stuff that I want to cast for future use. Hopefully yours will be too! "Q"