_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
scratchbuilding figures?
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 01:07 PM UTC
anyone want to fill me in on how i could scratch build a figure? i've always wanted to try, but havnt got around to it (dont have much knowledge as i am new to scratchbuilding)
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 06:59 AM UTC
There are several ways to attempt figure scratchbuilding.

1) Starting from scratch (ha, no pun intended) there are good books on this subject. A daunting task in my opinion...

2) Taking a part or parts from a kit and scratch-making the rest of the figure. Something I've done with limited success.

2) Kit bashing. Start with a figure and inter-change parts untill you get the figure you want. My main way of getting the figure I want.

I'm sure others could add many different versions of the above mentioned three, but I would venture a guess that these are the main ways to custom figures. If I remember correctly there are several "how-to" articles available, but haven't located them... but I hope this helps anyhow...
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 07:13 AM UTC
yes, it does actually help a bit, i've been kind of weary on the interchanging of parts...but i guess i'll give it a shot
warthog
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,460 Posts
KitMaker Network: 366 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 - 04:05 PM UTC
Mech-Maniac: Try this site http://home.planet.nl/%7eklink244/mcr.htm. Its one of the best sites I've seen about figure scratchbuilding
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 02:37 AM UTC
Warthog! That was a great site!! I added it directly to my favorites folder. He makes it all looks soooooo easy...

I just bought a visor like he had, it sure helps!!!
warthog
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,460 Posts
KitMaker Network: 366 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 02:51 AM UTC
Yup, it really is a great site and you are right he really makes it look sooooo easy. I hope I could also scratch build figures...glad to be of help
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2004 - 02:52 AM UTC
great link warthog,

thanks

joe
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 06:57 AM UTC
If I remember well, there's a lot of illustrated figure scratchbuilding stuff on http://www.planetfigure.com . Try Gordy's posts in the Forum.
Have fun !
Jan
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 2,029 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 07:17 AM UTC
Jan???????? Is it really you
Neill
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,255 Posts
KitMaker Network: 67 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2004 - 03:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

anyone want to fill me in on how i could scratch build a figure? i've always wanted to try, but havnt got around to it (dont have much knowledge as i am new to scratchbuilding)

Two excellent books are Shep Paine’s Sculpting and Painting Figures and Bill Horan’s Military Modeling Master Class. And get a good book on figure drawing or anatomy. I have a Bridgeman’s “Complete Book of Drawing from Life” – it covers both. For me it generally goes like this:

Stage one: sketch out what you want... even if you are not a great 2D artist make some drawings. They help you get a frame of reference to work from.

Stage two: Research – what type of uniform, equipment etc. I do this after the sketch because a from the same pose/sketch might come a Celtic Warrior stabbing with a spear or a Kreigmarine stabbing with a bayonet I have literally hundreds or sketches and ideas laying around.

Stage three: Determine the size/scale you want to work with. For your first figure I recommend 120-200MM or 1/16to 1/9. It is easier to work with the first time around. Detail is easier to form, but not overwhelming. Which is important, it is rare I sculpt the figure and everything goes together perfect… lots or restarts so we limit the frustration (although smashing a mis-proportioned miniature face can be great stress s relief) I do my own 54MM,1/32 or 1/35, but they are still challenging to me. At this point, I also draw out the rough dimensions of the figure in a spread-eagle stand. Most artist take the height of the head from the chin to the top and multiply by 71/2 or 8 to get the height of the overall figure. I use 7 1/12 X .

Stage four: I sculpt from the face down. Get a good face the rest seem to flow for me. I wrote and article for Fine Scalemodeler back in the 1987. If you are interested, I will dig it up and copy it to you. Though modified I still use the same basic technique.

Stage five: I create a wire armature (skeleton) to hold the sculpting material. I buy Aluminum roof antenna support wire to build mine. (buy it at radio shack, much cheaper that art stores. I bend the form to match my sketch

Stage six: Using A&B Epoxy Putty I sculpt in the basic body shapes, but I leave the knees, ankles, wrist, elbows shoulder joints and abs/waist area bare. This allows me to further manipulate my figure to the final pose.

Stage seven: I make all my weapons or hard accouterments so I can mold the clothing, hands etc on as I go.

Stage eight: Uniform/clothing is sculpted on again using A&B Epoxy Putty.

Stage nine: Details added, then prime and go to painting.

Got to get to that article and pictures soon… ENJOY!.

Maybe you can sculpt something for the “Alone, Against all Odd Campaign?

John
www.johnneill.net

Here is the beginning of a new figure for the “Alone, Against all Odds” Campaign.

GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2004 - 09:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jan???????? Is it really you

Sssst !
phoenix-1
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 629 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2004 - 10:21 AM UTC
Well it seems that the prodigal son returns for a visit. Nice to see you Jan.
Kyle
Charles
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 12:42 PM UTC
I've been scratch-building figurines since I was four, I'm in my 50's now so I do have a little experience. Previous comments are correct, modelling a figurine in any scale from scratch is a daunting task [

If you like I can explain somewhat bit when I can say is that your armature, like the foundations of a building, are extremely impoprtant and vital in terms of proportion. Your armature should be based on the human skeleton and a lot of time needs to be spent on this. At least 1/4 of my modelling time is spent on the armature.
Good luck
fanai
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 2,654 Posts
KitMaker Network: 292 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 05:08 PM UTC
Shain mate have you tried the sculpting section of our own figure forum- Markus Aburn,Gino and mayself to name but a few are always posting the works as we go to show that like a model kit it is a process that you hone to suit yourself- don't be afraid we just had someone ask the same question in the figure forum -look up 'this is daft question" I sculpt most of my work in figures from 1/72 right up to 200mm but I also like to paint the works of my friend and most of all the sculpted work is original and as Major Goose stated it is very different to paint a one off that something 2000 others have painted and you can add a broken nose scars, bushy eyebrows, don't be discouraged
we are here to help do a little at a time and show us or ask questions in the figure forum -we really don't bite and we really love it when other take it up and it is very addictive Shain, You may even start doing Dwarves then you know you have the bug tee hee

Also don't forget to do the feet and as my friend phil says'get the little things right and the rest will come'
Ian apprentice to the Master
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 11:13 PM UTC
try these...
 _GOTOTOP