_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Carrying extra gas cans ?
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 10:20 PM UTC
Now I know they carried some, but I have seen some models where they had gas cans lined up all the way around the main gun on some vehicles.
Now if I was a soldier back then that would scare me to death, to have all them bombs so easy to hit, to set me on fire.
A enemy bullet hit one of them cans, and they will all go, now I would imagine they had to have some exposed, but I'd think if they would carry more then that, they would have them in a safer place as to not to be exposed to a sniper, wouldn't you.
That gas cans wouldn't seem to be the extra item to have extra of on a vehicle moving with a big gun.
I don't know what do you think?
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 10:34 PM UTC
Hi, Understand what you mean here straightedge, and I can remember seeing a photo of a Panzer III somewhere or other with these cans all lined up on the turret top just above the gun. Like you said, this would be kind of a dumb place to put extra gas. On second thought I wonder if these cans carried in such an exposed position(s) as this weren't for carrying extra water instead of gas?

Just a thought here.

Take care, Sgirty
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 10:44 PM UTC
Maybe they were full of sand for a bit of added protection?
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 12:50 AM UTC
In a time when smoking was the norm, even inside tanks from what I've been told, I'd rather have the extra cans outside than in, which is really the only alternative. Most vehicles in WW2 photos have them on the front or rear.
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,305 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 12:53 AM UTC
With the gas mileage (or lack thereof) that those monsters got, they probably were empty half of the time anyway. Besides, remember it ain't the liquid that burns - it's the fumes. Keep the cans full and no problems.
Ciao for now
Rob
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,698 Posts
KitMaker Network: 130 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 02:49 AM UTC
weren't they filled with diesel, not gasoline?
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 04:42 AM UTC
I have read that the germans used to load up with jerry cans when they were going on long marches but would remove them before reaching the contact point with the enemy ...I've even seen pictures of tigers with 55 gallon drums on the back ...Can you say Massive MOLOTOV! ... There is also the fact that alot of water was carried in these cans too...

Rick
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 1,305 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 05:12 AM UTC
Stormfront,
I guess you're right in some circumstances. Sorry I was thinking with an American mind. Remember that our tanks (sorry steel coffins) were easy to "brew up" since we started with Gasoline engines. Besides, didn't the Allies just copy the German design since the British square type of fuel can was prone to puncture easily or even explode? Hence the term "Jerry can."
Ciao for now
Rob
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 06:11 AM UTC
I have never seen a reference photo with a tank loaded up so much.
I have supply trucks totally loaded front to back.
I've seen the back side of an tank loaded - away from sniper fire.
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 489 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 08:47 AM UTC
The jerry cans in such precarious positions would have been filled with water. I recall reading an account in either Panzer Aces or Panzer Commander in which the Panzer commander knew he just had a near miss on his panzer because he was suddenly doused with water from his hit jerry cans. That would wake you up!
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 04:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

In a time when smoking was the norm, even inside tanks from what I've been told, I'd rather have the extra cans outside than in, which is really the only alternative. Most vehicles in WW2 photos have them on the front or rear.

where would you put them on the inside anyways? its cramped up enough w/ just the crew in there
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 01:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Stormfront,
I guess you're right in some circumstances. Sorry I was thinking with an American mind. Remember that our tanks (sorry steel coffins) were easy to "brew up" since we started with Gasoline engines. Besides, didn't the Allies just copy the German design since the British square type of fuel can was prone to puncture easily or even explode? Hence the term "Jerry can."
Ciao for now
Rob

Rob,
your right us Brits did copy the German design as it was bigger and better (25 ltr)built than the british type (flimsies) they were nicknamed these were just a copy of civi fuel cans of the time.

The German can must have been a good design as we still use it today with slight modifactions

KellyZak
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 641 Posts
KitMaker Network: 113 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 02:14 AM UTC
I'm building a Hanomag kit right now, and I've loaded it with alot of stowage, and there are about 7 Jerrycans all over it, a mix of water/fuel cans, and the majority of them are strapped to the front, and on top of the engine bay. I saw a pic of something similar where the vehicle was carrying alot of jerrycans, so I've adopted it for my build. Yes, it can be unconventional, and very dangerous, but there could be many different scenarios to why they are all over the bloody place, they could just be empty, or have liquid of some kind in there.
So if someone looks at your build and says that there are too many jerrycans about and it's incorrect or wrong, just think that there could be tons of reasons why, and you are not necessarily wrong in doing it.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 03:35 AM UTC
Just don't forget that the Germans added a white cross to their water cans so that they didn't mix them up ...So be sure to show the difference on which is which on your kit. The Americans had different colored caps and or stenciling. I'm not sure what the British used to show the difference ..Does anyone out there know?

Rick
A-Train
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 715 Posts
KitMaker Network: 236 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 03:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Maybe they were full of sand for a bit of added protection?

He's right they were filled with sand to foil enemy's. It was like a second skin.
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2004 - 02:00 PM UTC
I know it is just a model, but your going for the look of reality, and it just might be me, but I have learned a great respect for gas cans, if it was hit empty, it could explode, and if it was hit full, then it would splash all over everything, and catch the whole thing on fire.
Now to me either way it is dooms day, but if you want gas cans all over your tank, it's your tank, I was just giving my opinion.
Now I did remember watching some movies where some of them did paint their water cans with an white X so not to mix them up.
 _GOTOTOP