History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
german mil. after cold war
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2004 - 03:31 AM UTC
who decided that it was safe for germany to build up another army after they disregarded the Treaty of Versailles and the USSR collapsed? was it NATO or what? and where did germany get all of its money from to make this build up.

i understand that the west german side (side with, U.S., U.K. and France) was very prosperous and the eastern (soviet) side was very poor much like the rest of the soviet union, how was the transition made to blend the two opposites together??
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 489 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2004 - 03:47 AM UTC
Germany is a part of NATO. I would assume however that NATO really doesn't have a say as to the size of their military. They are an autonomous nation. I would also assume that the build up is more in tune to helping share the burden of UN activities than conquering Russia.

Germany is also a very dynamic industrial nation and prosperous. I am certain that they can afford the build up through taxation or through Defecit Spending . I am certain that the reunification process was not too difficult. Also better management and capitalist operation of the industrial power in the former DDR probably easily increased the potential of those industries and the the country.
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
entire network: 3,377 Posts
KitMaker Network: 925 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2004 - 06:45 AM UTC
Learing the lessons after 1.st. ww and the events that follow directly to Hitler taking power, it was thought a much better idea to develop the people of westgermany instead of keeping them in the dark like after ww1.

And the treat from the russians counted too.

Funds was coming fra the US mainly - it was called Marshal aid - it included both civilian buildup and a lot of US and british surplus hardware.

The germans recived mostly US equipment, other wartorn countries recieved British gear - like in Denmark were we got Spitfires, Meteors, M10, sherms etc.

Mind you - most of europe had been robbed by the germans of all valuables and materials - leaving massive unpayable debt.

In Danmark certain goods were on rationing until mid 1950...

So Germany (west) had an army relatively sortly after the war, an soon became a NATO member being an importat ally aginst the Warzawpact.

Eastgermany became a member (unwillingly) of the warzaw pact and recived a massive russian military buildup...

The reunion came in the eary 1990“ and Eastgermany litarally fell apart - i crossed the West/est border i autum 1993, an it was like going 40 yrs. back in time.

So - with huge cost east joined west the 3. of october 1993. And they (germans) are stil paying for that party.

The NVA - nationale Volks Armee was abolished and what was usable joined the Bundeswehr.

mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2004 - 10:50 AM UTC
got to admint they have some very impressive hardware these days and lots of it most of the trucks ect are always spotless. but remeber one of our civi drivers telling me whilst I was in germany that the western Germans resented the bulk of the annual funds going into the east of the country I think it almost bankrupt the country you only have to look at the massive costs of making Berlin the new German capitol again I think all in its costs some were in the region of 47 million euros due to new transport infastructures ect being built lovely place though
Kraftstoff
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 93 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 08:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

who decided that it was safe for germany to build up another army after they disregarded the Treaty of Versailles and the USSR collapsed? was it NATO or what? and where did germany get all of its money from to make this build up.

i understand that the west german side (side with, U.S., U.K. and France) was very prosperous and the eastern (soviet) side was very poor much like the rest of the soviet union, how was the transition made to blend the two opposites together??

Hi Mech-Mechanic,
check out my website on the East German NVA...it's still under construction, but it should help you out

http://wizard.hprtec.org/builder/worksheet.php3?ID=28436