_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Secrets of CA Glue
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 02:14 PM UTC
Curious - in all my years of modeling, I've never once reached a the bottom of a single bottle of CA glue... have you any secrets? I've been good about keeping caps closed, cleaning up spillage, and even tried putting them in 'zip-lock' bags... the best I can do is get about half-way through before I have a solid rock....
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 02:33 PM UTC
Hi there KFMagee...

u're correct..most of us here have been face this problem for years...buying expensive CA glue but we never have the chances to see them finished..

but after some years, reading a few tips and personal experinces..here're some tips to make the shelf life longer for CA glue..

The chemicals inside the CA glue will react with air and moisture to harden(dry) themselves. This is what actually happen to the glue...when they're hard..they will bond any pieces together well including our fingers

First of all, avoid buying the one from the tube... this glue is a bit thick..wont last long... to make this tube last a bit longer , when storing the tube (not in used), always seal a greasy media to the tube opening..i used a cellophane to seal the tube "mouth". This is prevent the CA react with air and moisture. Always store CA glue in cool environement. I stored in my fridge. Just be carefull about this. LAbel your glue properly so that your wife and kids wont mistakenly took the glue.

I prefer the thinner version of CA glue..the one inside the bottle.. this can last longer...and your dont have to seal the bottle ... just store it in the fridge... i have mine for a few months now...still OK

and last tip. when using the glue, do not used straight out of the tube...put a little quantity on a cellophane tape ..this way, the glue wont dry quiclky and u have extra time to work with....apply the glue with toothpick to the required area and parts...

hope this helps........
good luck
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
entire network: 779 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 03:17 PM UTC
The best solution is to use it all up, I do that because I use it for all my needs. :-)
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 10:02 PM UTC
Buy the Smaller Bottle!!!!!!

Nah... I find that the 1/2 or 1 oz bottle still goes bad..... I do try to keep it in the fridge and dry....
But never seem to use it all before it goes bad
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 10:47 PM UTC
I used the ones in 3 grams. Good thing is, I can finish a lot of models and completely use it up. My secret? Nothing. :-) It's hot here in our country so at room temperature, it does not dry up. Oh BTW, one of my superglue last for 6 months. Ofcourse it has some dried up parts but atleast it was just 10-20% of 3 grams. :-)
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 12:53 AM UTC
Indeed, keeping the glue in a cool place (such as a fridge) will extend its life. I don't know why but it works.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 01:32 AM UTC
LOL - Nice thread. I pay up to $4 for a bottle and get (hopefuly) $2 out of it.

My two tips - build faster - faster - faster OR Use MORE GLUE and go invest in sandpaper

Really - it has become a cost of the hobby. I buy in as small a quatity as possible and clean the heck out of the tip and seal it as well as possible.
 _GOTOTOP