_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Make your own decals?
Nailz
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 57 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 03:09 AM UTC
I apologize as I am sure this question has been asked and answered here more than once, but I am having trouble finding anything with the search function.

I am wanting to make some small decals for some plastic HO scale slot cars I have, they will be painted first so I am assuming this will be no different than any ordinary model I work on.

Where can I find a place online or local that sells decal sheets that I can print on with my inkjet printer and apply myself?

I found a couple of places that you have to spray the sheets themselves with a clear coat before applying, aren't there any that would work like the normal decal sheets I get with my models?

Thanks as always for the help,

Marty
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 03:42 AM UTC
I've made my own decals on quite a few occassions. You put the sheets through an inkjet printer, and then seal them afterwards - if you don't the water will remove the printed image.
I buy my sheets from http://www.hannants.co.uk/ in the UK, but there must be suppliers on your side of the pond.
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 489 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 04:28 AM UTC
You can also get decal paper through any hobby shop that uses Walthers for a wholesale supplier. There are numerous brands carried.
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 205 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 04:38 AM UTC
As far as I know, you are going to have to coat them with something prior to soaking them in water so the ink doesn't run.

Testor's has a set available at Wal-Mart that I have used, which is fairly inexpensive and settles down on the model quite nicely. You do have to spray the decal sheets with this system.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 05:57 AM UTC
I would avoid inkjet on decal paper unless it's specifically designed for inkjet use. I tried this last summer and the inks just wiped off and never dried. What I would up doing is designing hte image I wanted and inserted it in Word as clipart then saved the document to disk and had it pronted at my local OfficeMax using thier color laser printer. I still sealed the decals, just to be safe, using Mocroscale decal film.
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 07:52 AM UTC
I've read that if you coat normal decal paper with ModelMasters dullcote the inkjet printer ink will work as desired. I'm in mid-search to find the gent who wrote about it. He is an awesome wingy-thing modeler Scott something...

found it...just click on following url:http://www.scottsaircraft.com/tips.htm#Home%20made%20decals
Nailz
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 57 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 09:47 AM UTC
Excellent, thanks guys!
 _GOTOTOP