_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Favourite tank of WW2
yagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 415 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 07, 2004 - 07:41 AM UTC
Hmmmm? Favorite tank?

AXIS

Pz1
Pz111
Pz1V

ALLIED

M24 Chaffe
M3A3
M4 & M4A1

The tank I model the most is the Pz111 and it's varients.

Also any thing with an artillery or anti-tank gun on tracks. M10, M12, Marders, Hummel, Wespe, etc.
Venom
Visit this Community
Alessandria, Italy
entire network: 720 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 07, 2004 - 07:50 AM UTC
hi guys... for me...

axis:
panther and jagdpanther,
tiger,
semovente (italian tank)

for the allied:
m8 greyhound
achilles and pershing
t34
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,667 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 07, 2004 - 08:38 AM UTC
For me

Axis
Panther A late

Allied
M10 Achilles

Pete
Paul
Visit this Community
Kharkiv, Ukraine / Україна
entire network: 705 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 07, 2004 - 08:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

the T34 was the motivation behind most late war german designs, but how many features of those have been copied in post war tanks? underpowered unreliable engines and mechanical components, overly complicated suspension systems etc?

cheers

joe

Joe, I agree and dissagree with you again. I will agree that all western - American tahks originate form the Pershing, which was an impressive tank.
However, reliability of the T-34 was better than the western equivalents. I know for a fact that the V-2-34 engine was more reliable and less prone to catching on fire than the engine on Sherman tanks, although the air filters were of bad quality which were later replaced by bigger, better ones.
The 76 mm gun was also very simple and reliable in maintenence.
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,439 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 07, 2004 - 08:51 AM UTC
For me it has to be Tiger 1. Then panther D+G but then again all tanks are great past and presant
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 07, 2004 - 11:30 PM UTC
Hi, I pretty much agree with all the posters here on favorites.

Quite actually the only favorite I could say I have is the one I'm currently working on. And, of course, this changes from model to model.

One of the neat things I like about modeling is being able to 3-dimensionally build something that is a represenatation of the thing I've seen in the pictures of the various books and magazines. And with the advent of the newer and more precisely detailed models being put out by the various manufacturers today, all the AFVs of this period of history are favorites to me. Providing I can successfully get them together. Ha, ha!

So this being the case, since I've been working on Dragon's outstanding T-34s lately, and plan to work on Trumpter's biggy here before too long, this type is my current favorite.

Take care, sgirty
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 01:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

However, reliability of the T-34 was better than the western equivalents. I know for a fact that the V-2-34 engine was more reliable and less prone to catching on fire than the engine on Sherman tanks, although the air filters were of bad quality which were later replaced by bigger, better ones.
The 76 mm gun was also very simple and reliable in maintenence.

i know, i should have been clearer. the underpowered, unreliable comment was directed at the german tanks not the T34, that would be ludicrous!
the reason shermans caught fire was the poor armour over the ammo and fuel stowage, this was improved greatly on later models.

the T34 was a fine tank, certainly better than any german tank, and most allied ones. but it was surpassed by the pershing and centurion, besically because of its simplicity and its gun.

when T34s went head on against pershings and centurions in korea, it was obvious which were superior. T34s lacked the effective optics, fire control equipment etc its western counterparts had, and also its 85mm gun was inferior to the US 90mm and british 17 and 20 pdr guns.

but then again this topic is about your 'favorite' tank of WW2, not the best, so sorry for going

cheers

joe
woltersk
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 1,026 Posts
KitMaker Network: 113 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 11:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Panther, any variety.
The great-grandfather of all (western) modern tanks?

how did you work that one out?

the panther was designed to fight the T34, taking as many features from it as possible. the T34 was an improvement of the BT7, which was copied from the US christie series tanks.

plus post war western tanks are largely based on the pershing and centurion, both of these tanks being designed not just as a reaction to the enemy, but to be the universal tank, drawing on the failings of the sherman and cruiser tanks.
cheers

joe

I thought I may raise a few hackles with that remark.

How many T-34s fell into Western hands after WWII. (I suppose a few.) German technology was thoroughly exploited after the war.

The German's ability to combine firepower, defensive armor, AND speed/mobility led to the Leopard series to include the 1 A3 which is close enough in design to the Panther to be used in it's place in movies! (A bridge Too Far?)

There was also the joint German-US MBT-70 project which led to the Leo 2 and M1.

So it is MHO that modern MBT suspension, hull/glacis/chassis layout, and turret design borrow more, or at least resemble, the Panthers more than Shermans, T-thirty anythings, etc.

But this is all just personal opinions, right?

jejack2
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 322 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 12:37 PM UTC
Hmm...do I go with the Shermans, or the Over rated Tiger (either I or II) or maybe the German Mk. IV (Panzer IV).....nah I think I'm gonna have to go with the Ruski T-34 (pretty much any variant, but the 85 is my fav!!)
A-Train
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 715 Posts
KitMaker Network: 236 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 04:10 AM UTC
At least i saw a couple of M18s among that topic great tank..
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 04:45 AM UTC
[quote]
How many T-34s fell into Western hands after WWII. (I suppose a few.) German technology was thoroughly exploited after the war.[quote]

im sure some did fall into western hands post war, we made mincemeat of them in korea, but thats irrelevant as both the pershing and centurion had been in the design stages since about 1943.

[quote]
The German's ability to combine firepower, defensive armor, AND speed/mobility led to the Leopard series to include the 1 A3 which is close enough in design to the Panther to be used in it's place in movies! (A bridge Too Far?)[quote]

how did they balance speed and mobility? they (panther included) were far slower than western tanks, and far less mobile due to their mechanical overcomplexity and weight.

[quote]
There was also the joint German-US MBT-70 project which led to the Leo 2 and M1.
[quote]

which was nothing to do with german ww2 designs

[quote]So it is MHO that modern MBT suspension, hull/glacis/chassis layout, and turret design borrow more, or at least resemble, the Panthers more than Shermans, T-thirty anythings, etc.
[quote]
well ok, try this, get a picture of a comet, pershing, T34 and panther. then compare them to modern designs, and viola panthers look far less like modern designs than the others.

how many modern designs have complex interwoven suspension and road wheel arrangements? none, they have torsion bar or horstman based systems

and the other features of the panther that are apparent in modern designs(sloping armour etc) were copied from the T34.

case closed!

[quote]
But this is all just personal opinions, right?
[quote]

it most certainly is, but dont confuse facts with opinion!

cheers

joe
Paul
Visit this Community
Kharkiv, Ukraine / Україна
entire network: 705 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 07:41 AM UTC
You go Greatbrit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Don't know why so much people like the German stuff...
woltersk
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 1,026 Posts
KitMaker Network: 113 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 12:33 PM UTC
Okay Guys,
I sit corrected. I have said it before, and I'll say it again--I am an air force weenie and I'll stick to what I know the best(and have studied far more) --aircraft.

Airplanes are my job, armor is my hobby.

But you have to admit (or not) that the modern, slab-sided, sloped, chobham (sp?) armor does resemble a Panther more than a cast, rounded, anything.

Thanks for the history and design class. I will go hit the books now and catch up...
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 02:10 PM UTC
ALLIES:

Cromwell (Marine Version)
M-18 Hellcat
M26 Super Pershing (Best tank at the end of the war!)
T-34 - best tank till the end of '44

AXIS:
Panzer III - Love that frontal add on armor!
Tiger I - best offensive weapon on the field!
Panther - any version
Jagdpanther - awesome design and performance
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 02:16 PM UTC
Pz III
Stuart
T-34

Just based on looks. Although, like Sabot, I think the M-3Lee is an interesting piece of armor.

Cheers,
Mike

_GOTOTOP