TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
watching The Longest Day
janwillem
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
entire network: 1,236 Posts
KitMaker Network: 153 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 05:08 AM UTC
Hi guys,
As it's D-Day again The Longest Day is going to be on TV in many a country.
I personely love the movie and I'f seen it god knows how many times in black and white and the colord-in version.
And I was wondering which version do you guys like.
Me personely, it's the black and white one.
Just curious
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 428 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 12:39 PM UTC
I love the Black-and-white version, mainly because I didn't know that it was in color also. Thanks for your time.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 03:35 PM UTC
Black and white is the only way to watch it. I wasn't aware that they had colorized it but I hate it when they do that. I believe movies should be shown in their original fashion, black and white if that is the way they were shot, wide screen, or letter box, rather than cropped.

AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 04:00 PM UTC
Amen to original color set up, either B&W or color. Darryl F, Zannuck certrainly had the option in 1963 0f filming this in color but CHOSE B&W to set the tone of the film. It should be viewed as such. I'm more ammenable to "full screen" but prefer the screen proportions of the theatrical release since the diorector filled the image as he (she) saw fit.
I can sort of accept colorization of films when there was no reasonably economical color emulsion available, but it's like reading Shakespeare in modern vernacular. It just don;t cut it!
mossieramm
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
entire network: 253 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 07, 2004 - 12:35 AM UTC
Hoi, I prefer the B&W one, the colour one looks rather nath. For one thing, the colours of the uniforms are wrong, and I'm not talking a shade lighter or darker. The only positieve I found with the coloured one is that certain background detail is more visible.
Anyway, as halfyank says, A film should be watched in it's original format, in this case B&W.
janwillem
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
entire network: 1,236 Posts
KitMaker Network: 153 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 07, 2004 - 02:06 AM UTC
I beliefe the movie was colord-in to mark 50 years after D-Day, and the color does bring out some detail, like when the luftwaffe officer is talking on the phone in the back ground you can see two plains. In the black and whit one they look 'ok' but in the colord-in they you can clearly see they are pianting
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,667 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 07, 2004 - 08:43 AM UTC
To be honest I never even knew there was a colour version of the film,but I still like watching it in black and white.
Pete
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,462 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 11:31 AM UTC
I also like the black and white verison of the moive,
for a moive that was made in 1962.
and with no spcieal effcets that we have to day.
this is one of the best d-days moives ever made.
they had the guys speaking in german.
they had really good actors,.
so in my book the longest day is in my top 3 of d- day moives
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 489 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 02:09 PM UTC
I prefer the black and white. I always prefer to view a movie in it's original form because it seems to me that when a black and white is colorized it loses some of the drama or atmosphere that the director created when he set up the shot. It just doesn't seem right when it is colorized. I really enjoy that movie too! I watch it every year on or around Memorial Day/June 6.
E23C
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 238 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 02:35 AM UTC
Black and white is the only way to watch this classic I have not seen a colour version,but the movie is great the way it is.
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 730 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 12:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I beliefe the movie was colord-in to mark 50 years after D-Day, and the color does bring out some detail, like when the luftwaffe officer is talking on the phone in the back ground you can see two plains. In the black and whit one they look 'ok' but in the colord-in they you can clearly see they are pianting

yes, it was colord for that reason...i think...i have the color version and black and white, B&W for me, just because thats the way classic movies belong...