_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Does anyone fear the airbrush
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,439 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 04, 2004 - 04:50 PM UTC
Air brushers are great tools but do you fear using them ,base coat is not a problem its the free hand camo that i dred.i know with practice that we get better,but getting to that stage were you have to do a complicated camo sceme on your german armor it makes me want to put it down and do something else.cheers for now karl
DRAGONWAGON
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 1,041 Posts
KitMaker Network: 298 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 04, 2004 - 05:30 PM UTC
Hi Tigeriv...

I've got an airbrush for my birthday....last year, complete with aircompressor, and I haven't used it since!
I guess I'm too scared to mess up a model, however, I'm planning to use it on the forthcoming Trumpeter T34/76 mod.43...So I guess practice is in order the next few weeks!!

Greetz, John.
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
entire network: 3,377 Posts
KitMaker Network: 925 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 04, 2004 - 05:41 PM UTC
Well, i don“t have one, mostly because of the price holding me back.

I borrowed one some days ago to give my 1/16 kübelwagen some green camo, and uuuuhhh, now im not shure i really want my own.

I normally use the to give my models a light "filter" a very thin solution of teh basecoat that blends the colours and do the trick ...

Did I mention the price ??
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,434 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 04, 2004 - 06:01 PM UTC
This is funny. I've been using an Airbrush for about 14 years and guess I never thought about anyone having fear towards using one or ruining a finish. See, I got my first AB shortly after my MOM got me Subscription to FSM when I was 16. Then for my birthday they gave me a Badger 250 Single Action Airbrush. I've had several since. But just as then and now I feel it was always the next step after hitting a stopping point in finishing kits. I can also say that a key figure in getting good results is as always PRACTICE. I almost always have a practice kit around to try a new peoduct or trick. It's something I've always had around on the workbench. If you guys want to know something that scares me......Rattle cans (Spray Paint). Sorry guys I like the control my AB gives me. STUG
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 04, 2004 - 06:52 PM UTC
I Have been airbrushing for about 2 years now and I first had a fear of it I started out using astek single action airbrushs and personally i hated the results i got and almost gave up but then took the plunge and bought a double action airbrush. The badger Cresendo 175.

with a little practice with the types of paints i was using i was able to do basecoats pretty well. A bit later I got a Badger universal 360 and I love it also. I feel much more comfortable with airbrushing now that i have some practice in and a few models done, and I think my results are great.

Here are the things that helped me the most.

1) Practice thinning your paints till u know what consistancy works best in your airbrush. U may use up a bit of paint doing this but learning this is a must. too think and it won't spray and too thin you get bad looking paint.

2) Keep Notes. Every single think I do with my airbrush i record in my "airbrush logbook" This way I know what i did, what worked , what didn't and how to replicate the same look or color or effect later.

3) Know your airbrush and how to properly clean it.
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 711 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 04, 2004 - 07:05 PM UTC
Fear is not exactly the right word for me, but I do not usually look forward to doing the camoflage details. I may not be as experienced as alot of the other guys here, but I do enjoy doing my spraying.
I did find an excellant use of my airbrush that I thought that I might pass on. In the summer when it's hot as heck and I'm doing a bit of building, I just fill up one of the bottles with water and give myself an occasional spray with the mist. Feels reeeaaaalllllllly good and so refreshing! I just have to make sure that what I put in the jar isn't paint or else I'll look rather rediculous when I go out!!!! :-)
powerlogik
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 216 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 04, 2004 - 09:26 PM UTC
Personally, I bought the cheapest airbrush i could find and attached it to my spare tyre to paint my first model. Crude I know but those "Early Days" really got me hooked on the effects that can be created with an airbrush. That first model (poor thing) has now had many types of coats as it has become my practice model...it is used everytime I airbrush to check my settings and paint mix. At first I felt a little intimidated by the setup but i got over it by simply having a couple of practice models......and a white sheet of perspex with which i'd try different things on.

Now 2 years on I have a good aztek brush and a good compressor which has made the world of difference. For one thing I don't have to go down to the fuel servo to pump my tyre up every day!! With practice comes confidence. And.....like me maybe, it'll only take one brush stroke to get you hooked also.
HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 04, 2004 - 10:36 PM UTC
I have an aztek 430 db action and I love it. I sometimes think ok if I try to paint using a new technique I will screw the model up but the only way to get better is to practice. You just can't get the same smooth finish by using a brush so have a cheap kit around and practice on it.

HastyP
Hiram_Sedai
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 201 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:11 AM UTC
I mostly can spray my models for a base coat.

We have an airbrush and use canned air but I haven't been real successful with the camo patterns on German tanks. It clogs too often. So, I'm a bit hesitant in using it. I tend to brush paint almost everything. Once I figure out how to use the combo of thinner and paint, then I will be more brave with airbrushing.

raycel
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 43 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:19 AM UTC
hi,
I have had an airbrush for about a year and a half and have yet to use it. I have read the books and seen the videos but I am real hesitant to actually use it on a model. Someday though........
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 01:39 AM UTC
It has been stated here in this thread several times, but practise makes perfect

I was also intimidated by the a/b at first, but then I just took the bull by the horns one day and played with the thing untill I could predict what was going to happen. Now having said that I haven't done any german camo, and I'm not sure I'm up to it - yet.

My suggestion is to just take some old paint and spray a cardboard piece untill you don't feel apprehensive anymore... If I was to do some german stuff that is what I will be doing untill I feel I can do the camo pattern.
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 427 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:23 AM UTC
I have a single action and a double action and a nice air compressor and paralysing fear. I know I must PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. I know I must practice on a crappy model, just like surgeons start on cadavours.
You wouldn't believe the risks I take in my business, yet a small piece of metal gives me the willies. Would someone out there start threatening me or something, so I get on with it?
Please try. Tell us about it.

Sealhead
woltersk
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 1,026 Posts
KitMaker Network: 113 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:47 AM UTC
At first an airbrush can be intimidating. They are machines, and when using any new peice of hardware there comes apprehension and fear. My motto for most of the 30+ years I have been modelling is: "It may be easier to buy a new kit and start over, but there is no mistake or error that can't be fixed." And fixing a bad paint job is one of the easiest. Major boo-boos can be repainted. If the layers of paint get too thick you can use oven cleaner to strip the coats off. Minor problems can be covered by weathering, battle damage, etc.

Now I will admit there have been paint sessons that have gone bad. Not that I have ever thrown an airbrush through the fuselage of a 1/48 SR-71 or anything. But frustrations can come at any portion of a build.

I have gotten to the point where airbrushing is the part of the build I look forward to! Find some books, articles, and tips on line to read. Jump in and have fun.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 3,960 Posts
KitMaker Network: 331 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 04:46 AM UTC
Hey !! The fun starts when I pull out the old airbrush ...Mixing all that paint... plugging in that compressor and hearing that soft drone....pressing down on the trigger and watching as the first fumes of paint start to imerge...I can't wait for that part !! I have both a Pasches for the coats of future and pigments and a Tamiya Super Fine for the real painting ...The control you get from a good airbrush will boost your confidence ..I don't even mask my wheels anymore I can do it free hand with my SF... The problem most of us have is we open up that nozzel and use it like a spray can...Not me ...It took me eight hours to paint a hetzer but that was doing a base coat ...two lighter yellow coats (for the inside of each panel...,a dark green camo with two lighter shades of green for fading ...All done free hand ...Control is critical part of airbrushing ...that and getting to know how to thin your paints right...as everyone else has said practice and get to know your most important tool in your work shop..
Remember your airbrush is your friend!!

Rick
didiumus
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 564 Posts
KitMaker Network: 138 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 05:11 PM UTC
You guys are looking at it all wrong. Don't be intimidated by airbrushing.

It only gives you more capabilities, more freedom, more ability to make professional looking models.

An airbrush puts paint on thinner, gives you the ultimate weathering and camoflauge tool, and allows you to do more than you ever dreamed of with a paint brush and spray can.

As to the price and screwing up a model, well, check the price of a can of spray paint ($3 - $5 apiece) and all of the sudden an airbrush doesn't seem too bad. Also, just practice with it. Buy some inexpensive sheets of styrene plastic and spray spray spray. Or, get some cheap or old models you don't want any more, and spray, spray, spray. Even better, find a friend who loves his/her brush and watch/ask/learn.

I hope this helps. I LOVE airbrushes. They are the second most important modeling tool after Xacto knives.

Best,

Scott Gentry
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 05:30 PM UTC
Alright...
A few years ago, a buddy of mine who airbrushes professionally gave me a Badger, bottom of the heap airbrush and a compressor. I haven't used them yet. Well, I've used the compressor for a couple of other things, but, not for the airbrush.
I've recently built an outdoor spray platform with sidewalls and a pegboard back.
I don't model any camo painted armor for the simple fact that I don't like how it looks.
Spraycans and brushes.
I've never had a problem with painting that I thought an airbrush rig would fix.
I've watched my buddy do some photo-realistic art and being an artist of many mediums myself, the thought of whipping out the old airbrush and starting a new phase in my expressions has crossed my mind.
But...
I don't relish the idea of a process involving an hour of prep and a half hour of clean-up for eleven or so minutes of actual painting.
Now, my numbers may be off a little, but, I can shake and spray inside FOUR minutes, unscrew and dip a brush inside ONE minute and clean-up a brush inside TWO minutes.
WITH RESULTS THAT SPARKLE!!!
In my opinion, the airbrush stays in the box.

I still respect you ALL though!
Thank you

Cuhail
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 05:40 PM UTC
C'mon guys... the AB is in your toolkit... go out and buy a cheap TOY plastic plane or tank, and practice a little. If you mess up, so what? Base coat it all white, and try again!

You'll find it is fun and can really add to your skills and ENJOYMENT as a modeller! Give it a try...
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 10:35 PM UTC
As with everything PRACTICE!!!! Take Kieth's Advice.... go get a cheap toy car/plane/tank and Practice...........
crossbow
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 1,387 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 10:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

C'mon guys... the AB is in your toolkit... go out and buy a cheap TOY plastic plane or tank, and practice a little. If you mess up, so what? Base coat it all white, and try again!

A cheap kit??? what about plastic boxes, lids,... just look what you all throw in the bin. Hell, I even use empty Mcdonalds salad containers..., get some cheap paint too it is just to get the techniques. They are the same for a lid and cheap paint as for an expensive model and first grade paint.

Kris
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 11:03 AM UTC
I received my first airbrush, on my 12th birthday. It was a Paasche VL double action that I still have and use today, some 28+ years later. Since that first one was added to the box, I now have 15 or so others that are in the box along with it. While getting the air/paint mixture is important, it isnt something to be feared. As the others have stated, practice practice, practice. I have a lot of models that didnt turn out all that great, but they remind me of where I was when I started this hobby and give me a reason to seek self improvement, a lot of which I get from the geat folks on this site. Airbrushes are like explosives, don't fear them, just respect the hell out of them The most important thing though...........Continue to have fun as that is what this hobby is all about. "Q"
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 01:05 PM UTC
Hi fellas ...

Fear of airbursh?? i've been using airbrush for the last 5 yrs and i've to admit that sometimes i feel a bit scare when trying to do a complex cammo scheme..just like the german complex scheme....i'm afraid that i might not achive the desired finishes.. but as time goes by, i try to overcome the feeling... try to be confident with my self and i always told my self that i CAN DO THIS!!!

i think many of us feel this way too....fear is not the key.. perhaps one should enter Fear Factor and think about using ab to finish a model in FF episode... LOL..
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 07:19 PM UTC
No, I love AB.
didiumus
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 564 Posts
KitMaker Network: 138 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 03:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Alright...
A few years ago, a buddy of mine who airbrushes professionally gave me a Badger, bottom of the heap airbrush and a compressor. I haven't used them yet. Well, I've used the compressor for a couple of other things, but, not for the airbrush.
I've recently built an outdoor spray platform with sidewalls and a pegboard back.
I don't model any camo painted armor for the simple fact that I don't like how it looks.
Spraycans and brushes.
I've never had a problem with painting that I thought an airbrush rig would fix.
I've watched my buddy do some photo-realistic art and being an artist of many mediums myself, the thought of whipping out the old airbrush and starting a new phase in my expressions has crossed my mind.
But...
I don't relish the idea of a process involving an hour of prep and a half hour of clean-up for eleven or so minutes of actual painting.
Now, my numbers may be off a little, but, I can shake and spray inside FOUR minutes, unscrew and dip a brush inside ONE minute and clean-up a brush inside TWO minutes.
WITH RESULTS THAT SPARKLE!!!
In my opinion, the airbrush stays in the box.

I still respect you ALL though!
Thank you

Cuhail

Well Cuahil, I respect where you are coming from, but I don't agree with you. If the only thing that matters is time, then you are on the right track. But my airbrush puts paint on my models at right about 1/20 the thickness of a spray can or a paint brush, and like I said, it just gives you so many more options. I can spray several models from one small jar of Olive Drab paint, and I would have to buy several cans of spray paint to do the same job. I guess it all boils down to preferences...

I just don't understand why since you have an airbrush you don't even try it out or try to practice with it. But then again, modeling is fun, so have some!!

Best regards,

Scott Gentry
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 10:19 AM UTC
About 20 years ago I had an airbrush "Explode" on me. Actually , the paint came flying out the top and it tooks a long while to get it off. I sold the airbrush and compressor and never looked back.

Sometimes I marvel at how dependent some have become on the airbrush, even cutting friskett paper to do road wheels! WOW!

Long Live the paint brush!!!
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 489 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 02:19 PM UTC
The only thing I dread about airbrushing is the set up and clean up time involved. I try to get multiple items ready to go before firing up the airbrush. For me it is time consuming because I airbrush in my basement, but I also use my compressor in my garage. The cleaning between colors isn't so bad. The thorough complete tear down when finished for the day can be tedious however!

I personally really enjoy doing the soft edge camo schemes with the airbrush. WW II U.S. Navy aircraft (three color) are real fun to do along with German armor.
 _GOTOTOP