_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
Lights for photos
Themage
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 44 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 04:04 PM UTC
i have been trying to take pics of my models but found the single desktop light is not enough, what kind of lights do you use and what kind of bulbs as well

i want white light not orange warm light from regualar light bulbs

thanks
voyager
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 65 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 07:41 AM UTC
Try daylight bulbs - available from the hardware store for a few bucks. Not perfect, but not bad.
woltersk
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 1,026 Posts
KitMaker Network: 113 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 09:55 AM UTC
What type of camera are you using?
Natural sunlight is always the best.
If your camera has setting options then try changing the lighting from ‘Auto’ to 'Indoors'. Even in 'auto' a camera 'thinks' it is outside and you will end up with a bluish tint. Some cameras even have settings for different types of bulbs--fluorescent, tungsten, incandescent, etc.

Experiment with it. Of course it will be easier (and cheaper) if it is a digital camera.

OFF TOPIC--what part of Ohio are you in? Anywhere near the Dayton area? Any plans on making it to the contest at Wright State University on Sept 18th?

ex-royal
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,009 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 11:06 AM UTC
I use a 3 to 4 light system. I have two overhead lamps and two clamp style lamps as well. I use GE Reveal bulbs at 100w each. You should also adjust your White balance and F Stop appropriately. Most cameras with manual functions will allow you to set your WB by using a piece of white paper and the lights you are using to photograph your models. This should help to eliminate the yellow in your pics. Also try shooting your model on a neutral background i.e light blue or grey or even white. If all else fails try your camera's manufacturer's web site they might have some further tips for you. HTH
cheers,
Bryan
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 07:06 PM UTC
Ott Lights are pretty good both for building and taking pictures. They are pricey but they do go on sale at HoLo about twice a year.
Linkage below.

Shaun

http://www.ottlite.com/
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 08:40 PM UTC
I use three office style desk lamps on my work bench with a grey drop cloth for all my pictures. This allws me to highlight areas and vr=irtually eliminate unwanted shadows.
If you're using a film camera, go to a good camera shop with it and ask for a filter for incandescent light which will eliminate the orange glow, especially if you're using regular bulbs.
I don't shoot outdoors because I find the shadows too hard. You'd need a fill in flash and elaborate equipment to get consistent, well lit pictures.
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 10:24 PM UTC
I use two blue photo flood lights and I am still not happy with the pics that I take.

I'm probably being too critical of myself and if so, it is because I hang around with this crowd.

nzgunnie
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 371 Posts
KitMaker Network: 122 Posts
Posted: Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 12:29 PM UTC
Foolproof lighting - slightly overcast natural sunlight.

Use a piece of white card placed close to the subject, but just out of the frame, to bounce some light into the shadows. Use more than one, or a peice of curved paper and move it around until you are happy with the fill.
Themage
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 44 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 09, 2005 - 09:12 PM UTC
Well its been awhile since i was on here. Here is a pic i made awhile back showing 4 different ways to create mood and effects using lights. Now that i have been working for tv station for past year i have learned lots

_GOTOTOP