_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Health and Safety
Have a question about what is safe or an experience that might warn others?
Super Glue
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,924 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2004 - 06:52 AM UTC
Whilst quietly enjoying myself with a No.11 blade and trying to hollow out the sleeve end of a 1/35th German, fate took a hand and decided to try and remove the top of my left thumb. Funny. I've never felt so attached to the end of that particular thumb until I was nearly unattched to it. Literally. A cold compress later and a dab of super-duper glue, and it feels like we've never been apart.
No more stinging. Able to make a rolled cigarette to calm my adrenalin-soaked nerves, and continuing (nervously) with the afore-mentioned sleeve job within 5 minutes, this application of super-glue, for which I believe it was originally intended for, is truly a Godsend.
Right. I'm calm again now. I'll go.

Vinnie
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 711 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2004 - 07:00 AM UTC
Amazing what super glue can be used for! Actually, hospitals have been using it for a number of years for the same application and I've used it a number of times (how many I won't say) myself for some fairly major cuts and gashes.
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2004 - 08:22 AM UTC
Hi. Is this super glue we use in modeling exactly the same stuff they use in medical facilities? Or are their different chemcal compositions to it, some for medical and some or other things? Just curious here.

Thanks and take care, sgirty
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 414 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2004 - 08:26 AM UTC
I once heard that CA was developed by morticians for bonding the various dead parts.

Cody
recon-19d
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 107 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2004 - 08:47 AM UTC
I read once (standard household type super glue) was used a lot by MASH type units in Nam to hold internal organs together.

Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2004 - 09:03 AM UTC
He, he...I have heard of cuts being glued together instead of stitches but never though that you could do it with Super Glue. Be careful not get an infection because then you will not only lose the tip of your thumb but perhaps even the whole thumb.
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,412 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,030 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2004 - 10:07 AM UTC
I think it was super glue, but somewere i heard they used it in the vietnam war for wounds and injuries... intersesting, il try it out next time i cut myself
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,462 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2004 - 11:42 AM UTC
super glue makes my eyes tear for some reason.
when i open the bottle and use it the stink slowly goes to my eyes.
and makes me tear lol does this happne to any body else
StarTraveler
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 109 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 08:11 AM UTC
CA used for medical applications is formulated a bit differently and under more stringent aseptic techniques then common CA. Basically it is more sterile out of the tube.

Also, not used for "holding internal parts together". Would be great if we could use it for that.

Also, if you are going to patch yourself up with CA, make sure to close the wound first, then apply CA over it.

Just a little medical advice.

powerlogik
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 216 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 11:25 PM UTC
tazz.....be careful mate. I used to get the same problem which would lead onto far worse side effects from using superglues. I take my health much more seriously now and haven't looked back.....it's got me on the modeling road again

Check out the thread i started about my problems awhile back from using ca glue...
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/23654&page=1

Touch wood i've never injured myself badly while modeling.
Klown
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 71 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 11:50 PM UTC
I think super glue was actually invented to be used in nam as a quick fix in the battle field until they could be taken to an aid station and fixed up properly
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 765 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 12:17 AM UTC
A couple of minutes with Google led me to this page

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/msuperglue.html
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 12:25 AM UTC
despite its useful medical (and modelling!) applications, superglue was infact invented by accident.

i read an article about it in a photography magazine as it was invented during or just after WW2 when scientists were trying to produce a plastic suitable for use in high quality camera lenses. it is acrylic based but they obviously got something wrong!

as has been mentioned its first widespread use came in the vietnam war, to patch up wounded GI's.

regards

joe

EDIT-drader beat me to it!
AngryDog
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 1,114 Posts
KitMaker Network: 135 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 12:48 AM UTC
"super glue used for patching up troops", I heard that from that werewolf movie "Dogsoldiers"

It's always handy to have a bottle of Accelerator around too...just in case the blood is gushing..
rudie
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
entire network: 123 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 02:41 AM UTC
Don't know the extent of your injury, but some deeper wounds have the tendency to go bad if they are closed up and sealed. You should only use it around the edges of the flesh that was cut and only if the piece is still there. never try to stick a piece of flesh or skin that is completely cut of. Always disinfect the wound first, if you don't have disinfectant around you ordinary piss will do the job (your own, preferably).
Super glue is a cyanide based glue and cyanide is poisonous, remember that.
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
entire network: 1,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 265 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 06:15 AM UTC
Interesting that this thread has come up. Just last week I put a nasty gash about 1/8 inch long (3mm) on the tip of my left pointer finger. I washed it clean and put some disinfectant on it but had a difficult time keeping it from bleeding again everytime I tried to do anything. Knowing that you can use CA in a pinch for smaller wounds, I held it together and sealed it up with a couple of drops, and built up a little covering of glue. Worked much better than trying to wrap a bandaid around the end of a finger.

Not only did that work to keep the wound closed for the next 24 hours, the fact that the two sides of the cut were not rubbing against each other kept it from starting to bleed again and from hurting when I used the finger to push on things.

Any of you out there who are right handed, and also play bass or guitar like I do, will appreciate how glad I was that CA allowed for that!

Tom
 _GOTOTOP