History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Floyd Thompson
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 09:20 AM UTC
I just read the obituary of a troubled hero. Floyd Thompson was the longest held POW in the Vietnam War. Captured outside Khe Sanh, he spent the better part of his developing years incarcerated. Returning to this country, he discovered that he could not simple pick-up where he left off. The world did not stop while he disintegrated in prison. Beautifully written account of his life is found in "Glory Denied." Urge you to read this marvelous book about a very human guy who got caught up in the tragedy of war and never came back. If nothing else, say a prayer for the fellow. I knew him and I mourn his loss.
DJ
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 10:00 AM UTC
Thanks for that DJ, as I'm in the middle of it now.
For those not too familiar with the story I put a link below where you can read the Forward by Senator John McCain.
Glory Denied
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 08:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for that DJ, as I'm in the middle of it now.
For those not too familiar with the story I put a link below where you can read the Forward by Senator John McCain.
Glory Denied

It is just a superbly written book. I could not put it down. Trust you will leave it as I did with a better understanding of the phrase "there but for the grace of God go I."
DJ