_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
You need one of these...
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
entire network: 414 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 12:20 PM UTC
I have had a stereo microscope capable of 10x & 30x magnification at my workbench for 15 years and now wonder how I ever got on without. These bad boys are a bit pricey but absolutely indispensible. Highly recommended.

Cody
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 12:28 PM UTC
OK -- some of you may accuse me of being a rivet-counter, but I have drawn the line before modeling with a microscope ... yow, Cody, that makes my head hurt to think about ...
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 01:19 PM UTC
Once you use a stereo microscope for assembly, clean-up of parts or shaping itty-bitty P/E gooh-gahs you will never go back to the Otivisor. Plus they come in real handy for the occasional minor surgery we tend to perform on ourselves.

Cody
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 3,179 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 01:47 PM UTC
I hope all of these surgries are done with a Heine(ken) in hand.....
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 05:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Once you use a stereo microscope for assembly, clean-up of parts or shaping itty-bitty P/E gooh-gahs you will never go back to the Otivisor. Plus they come in real handy for the occasional minor surgery we tend to perform on ourselves.

Cody

Dang! I'm supposed to have an Optivisor, too???

Sorry to tease a bit, Cody, but I try to work within the limitations of my bi-focaled eyes. I drive myself crazy enough seeing what I can see ... if I could see more ... I'd REALLY never finish anything!
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 711 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 06:46 PM UTC
Sorry, but I'm sure a stereo disecting microscope is great to use, but I think I'll stick with my desk mounted magnifier with it's light (like the one used in a microbiology lab for checking growth plates).
Mind you, I agree that it would be good for stiching up your fingers from those accidental cuts we tend to get from knives, but we won't go into that............
cardinal
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
entire network: 1,008 Posts
KitMaker Network: 492 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 03:44 AM UTC
It would be great to have that thing but I think I'll just stick to my Ott-Lite magnifier.
dsmith
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 183 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 03:53 AM UTC
Ahhh, it brings back memories of separating out me Drosphilia in genetics class. Ever since then, I have always wanted to get a stereo microscope. But alas, they are a bit pricey....
Stahlhelm
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 11:25 AM UTC
The microscope was essential for imparting appropriate texture to the Milliput faux weld and for aligning the little black decal strap across the end of the .020 diameter rod. This starter attachment for a 1/16 Tiger 1 measures 1" long overall. Manipulating and aligning the various details and more importantly 'building cleanly' was made possible by doing much of the assembly under the microscope. Can't say enough about the benefits of a good stereo microscope nearby. Ya' can find em' in liquidation houses for under $300 - that's what a good airbrush costs. You will reap as much if not more benefit from the microscope which will elevate your building skills. Again, highly recommended.

Cody
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 787 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 01:45 PM UTC
I just throw an extra contact in my left eye and close my right! :-)
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 03:18 PM UTC
Dragon has released 1:144 kits,so this may be a new wave of necessary tools for the changes in the hobby.......
Shinano
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 36 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2004 - 02:06 AM UTC
I have one of those bad boys It looks so expensive I did not know what to do with it. This gives me an idea
 _GOTOTOP