History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Russian Convoys
flitzer
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,240 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 08:36 AM UTC
Hi All,
The Brave lads who served on Russian Convoys during WW2 are looking for recognition, as until now they have been largely overlooked as far as accolades and official thanks go.

They deserve it.

My late Dad seved on a Destroyer doing the Archangel run, he wouldn't say much about it.
When asked what was it like,
all he usually said was "Bloody Cold"

Cheers
Peter

Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 06:49 AM UTC
My uncle henry was on those convoys he was a merchant seaman he told me some stories about them, thing they all dreaded was 'taking a bath' his parlance for being torpedoed he said it was so cold the flame on his lighter froze ( I nearly wet myself laughing) he goes to the remembrance march at whitehall every year, the says they were all out of step except for him, he volounteered for the army and got in, they put him in the Scots guards he's a born and bred cockney, on his first leave he came home in his Kilt proud as punch in the middle of an air raid an ariel mine went off about two streets away and blew his kilt off and he got arrested for indecent exposure. they dont make them like that anymore. :-) Seriously though those men deserve much much more than our limp wristed government dish out.I went down the british legion with Henry and a bunch of his muckers two came in on D day one was wounded in Nth Africa shocked me when they said they would have been treated better if Jerry had won.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 04:31 AM UTC
my granddad was in the russian convoys he got called up for the gordons and thought bollocks I'm noty dying for a bob a day and joined the merch instead, he served on the russian convoys and got sunk 3 times so he was a lucky fella never really talked about it but he was a fly old boy dont get them like him any more