History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
10 Days to D-day
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2004 - 09:14 AM UTC
No, not another reminder to get your campaign entries in!!! :-)
Channel 4 on Brit TV showed the first part of a two episode docudrama tonight that follows three allied units and a French Resistance agent for the 10 days before 6th June.
The units shown are :
6 Commando (British)
Regina Rifles (Canadian)
82nd Airborne (US)

If it comes out on cable on the other side of the pond I'd advise watching it -perhaps the History Channel will show it. Some of it is dramatised, but loadsa wartime film in with it.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2004 - 10:10 AM UTC
Thanks for the reminder Dave. In fact 10 Days to D-day was was produced for The History Channel in association with Channel Four by Carlton Productions LLC and 3BM Television.

It airs on this side of the pond Wednesday, June 2 at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT on The History Channel. I have the calender marked.

Complete info HERE
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2004 - 09:19 PM UTC
That is interesting news about the History channel production. I get the feeling that our Digital provider is going to broadcast the same production.

Let me explain for a moment the 'weird' situation that exists here, I have been a subscriber to 'Canal Digital' since its inception, until last year, there were 2 however, luckily for us they 'fused' and we have one of the best digital services in the world. Unfortunately, the History Channel is NOT within the package (Playboy is though :-) ) What this means is that we get over 250 channels and they have the necessary money to buy any of the 'big productions' like Sopranos/Friends etc....

Now I was quite surprised by the decision for them to broadcast (anything at all) about D-Day. The way things are going here, anything 'military' is a definite no-no. One thing that I am hoping for, is a documentary on the Spanish Republicans who landed on D-Day with the allied forces... something that I have been researching on and off for the last few years. The participation of the Spanish Republicans within the French resistance is also a subject worthy of some serious research....Jim
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 11:41 PM UTC
Just got fantastic news... As from June the 1st, I have the history channel. And on the 6th of June there is a mega-session about Normandy......Wheeeeeeeeee!...Jim
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 11:48 PM UTC
That sure is good news Jim. I know that I could not live without my History Channel... well, not as happily.