_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Air dust in the paint of the models
JonhyD
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
entire network: 46 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2004 - 04:22 AM UTC
Greatings modelers, I would like to know how to keep off the air dust traped betwen the model and the paint.
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2004 - 05:43 AM UTC
Best way to keep dust away from your model during painting is to spray paint it in a dust free environment (like an enclosed spray booth). Obviously if you don't have one of those you can do it any place that is clean of dust or has very little dust.

If you notice any dust on your model prior to painting it, give it a quick rinse with soap and water and then dry it thoroughly. I hope this helps.
blackfly
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 62 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2004 - 06:39 AM UTC
Another thing you might consider, the same way the auto body industry gets a good finish. Dampen the painting area with water before painting, this will prevent any dust in the booth from being raised by the air from your airbrush or paint can. Even a paint booth does not “prevent” dust from getting on your kit as the fan can drag in dust while it sucks up the air. When it’s really dry in the winter, I use a plant mister to mist the inside of my booth to keep the dust down.

Cheers!
rjray
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 230 Posts
KitMaker Network: 36 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2004 - 11:51 AM UTC
Even if you get the painting done dust-free, there's still time for dust to settle in while the paint dries. I went and bought a reasonably-airtight storage container a few years ago. When I paint something, I put it in the bin to dry, and close it up. You can plastic containers like this at Target, Wal-Mart, etc. (or the European equivalents) for pretty cheap.

Randy
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
entire network: 2,511 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,296 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2004 - 02:41 PM UTC
i agree in most of the replies here...
before i start my paintjob, i spray the inside of my spraybooth with water....
then i wipe the model with a large dry brush....
check it for any remaining dust....
and spray...

after the job is done, i put it inside a plastic container.......

good luck!!
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,434 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 21, 2004 - 06:01 PM UTC
Iusually just wipe down my model before painting and then plac the box lid over it while it dries. usually don't have dust probvlem that way. If I do its usually just an easy fix with a sanding stick and touch up spray session with the AB. STUG
JonhyD
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
entire network: 46 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 01:19 AM UTC
Thanks to each member who helped me to solve the problem, proving that the modelers are one of the best communities, always ready to help the ones in dificulties.
 _GOTOTOP