_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Four legged helpers
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2004 - 01:12 AM UTC
I got an E-mail the other day which is supposed to be from a animal clinic, or started from an animal clinic anway, it talked about Raisins and Grapes being poison to dogs.
So I thought I would pass this on for the other dog lovers out there who want to protect your dogs.
I had the whole E-mail that talked about a Lab eating a 1/2 box of raisins and had to be put down, and it said it could take just as few as 7 raisins to be fatal to a smaller dog, according to the E-mail.
If I knew how to put that E-mail up here, I would so all interested could see. I guess the animal suffered close to a week before they decided to put it down.It had the name and address od the animal clinic here in Ohio that wrote it.

Best Regards Kerry Bennett
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2004 - 01:28 AM UTC
Wow,
Didn't know that Kenny. I will have to keep the Jack Russell out of the raisins...

Link to the ASPCA report is below.
Thanks Kenny.
Shaun

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=grapes
The Jack in quaestion...
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2004 - 01:33 AM UTC
thanks for the info lads,

will have to keep my old lab away from them!

cheers

joe
DRAGONWAGON
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
entire network: 1,041 Posts
KitMaker Network: 298 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2004 - 01:37 AM UTC
Thanks for posting this...My dog loves grapes, but after your mail, it's gonna be a NONO for her!!!

Thank you very much!

John and his dog Bolle...
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2004 - 01:45 AM UTC
snap my two dogs love grapes guess no more for them thanks for the warning!

m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,248 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2004 - 03:01 AM UTC
Thanks, no more for my 2 as well.

straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2004 - 07:48 AM UTC
I got two Dashounds named Okie & Fanny myself, and they used to get some grape jelly I had on my sandwich, but I'm stopping that to. Thank God I never give them much. It is like when I first found out about chocolate, at first they would just say it would kill them, but nobody knew why.
But after a long time I finally found out that the chocolate, has a poison chemical in it, which is even poisonous to us, but our body's can counteract its effect, but the dog cannot, but even ourselfs if we go way overboard we do get sick.
So try to remember no more Chocolate, Rasins, or Grapes for our little four legged helpers.

LIFER
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 29 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2004 - 10:47 AM UTC
Sorry, but I don't buy that. We have had and have dogs that loved eating cold grapes on hot days. They have done this for many years and no ill effects ever noticed. The oldest dog lived well past his expected life span. The current dogs are doing just fine. I've heard cinnamon is supposed to be poisonous to dogs but I've caught both in the garbage after buns the wife didn't finish. The only thing that i've heard the vet say was keep chocolate away from dogs as it increases the heart rate and to much can cause heart problems, again one of the scrounges stole the kids bar and ate it. Went a little gooffy like kids on a sugar high but she survived again.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2004 - 10:52 AM UTC
dogs arent supposed to eat chocolate as their liver cant break it down, depends how much of it they eat but better safe than sorry
yagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 415 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2004 - 04:18 PM UTC
HMMMMM. I gotta take this one with a grain of salt. My mixed breed, 160 pounder has been eating grapes all her life with no ill effects. She is now eleven years old. She does prefer green grapes to purple ones.

straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2004 - 04:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

HMMMMM. I gotta take this one with a grain of salt. My mixed breed, 160 pounder has been eating grapes all her life with no ill effects. She is now eleven years old. She does prefer green grapes to purple ones.

Mine has to, but I'm going to watch real close now to try to stop from any more, cause why take the chance, but then again, 160 pound dog, now that is one big dog, and it would take a lot of anything to bring it down.
But I know you wouldn't want to see it brought down, just as much as I wouldn't want to see any dog brought down.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2004 - 05:11 PM UTC
Grapes? I wonder about bananas, onions and oatmeal. Fat-boy Radar loves 'em all. 130 pounds of Bloodhound/Lab mix. Biggest wimp in the neighborhood, but all the kids and thugs think he's ferocious. I do nothing to dispell the myth.

straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2004 - 10:51 PM UTC
I would advise everybody to check in on it. I surely wouldn't advise you calling it just a myth without checking, but until I'm sure Okie and Fanny sure aren't getting any more grapes or rasins or their by products until I'm sure.
The letter is from Laurinda Morris DVM. Danville Veterinary Clinic Danville, Ohio. To me this is enough warning to check, cause I love my little buddy's, and I would never try to intentionally try to harm them, and if somebody give me any warning that may harm them, I sure would check on it.
Maybe every dog is different just like every human is different, what would kill one, might not even make the other sick, but it could be doing harm, even though it isn't showing him throwing up, which they say that is one of the first signs, their bodies trying to get rid of it.
Hollowpoint, now my Okie is the same color as your Radar, outside Radar has got 110 pounds on him, but my Okie has a lot of white now just like his daddy has in his hair, but he comes out to about 93 in dog years, so he's my little old man now, but he don't like to be called old man, and Fanny is about four years younger ,and a long hair black and tan.
Radar looks like he would be a real lovable dog. I wonder about the other fruits myself, I know the vet recommends rice, when they were sick, but I eat oatmeal every morning, and I try to have fruit on it, and I try to leave them some
Now one morning I left a tiny piece of pear, and I figured they would eat it, cause it was so small, and they eat the oatmeal so fast, but when they were done, that tiny piece of pear was still in there, but they will eat apples though.
Grapes, and apples is the only thing I haft to check on, cause mine won't eat bananas, pears, or pinapples.
I wonder about these dogfood places that say never feed your dog table scraps, that they won't live long, well Okie is older then my Vets Dashounds, to when he had to put his down, so I can't be feeding him to awful bad, and he might be carrying close to 1 pound over weight, so he stays fit. I don't know how, maybe from all the no answers he gets from Fanny, cause she went to the vet, and she doesn't do that anymore.
But check into that about the grapes, and if you find out before I do, would you let me know Hollowpoint, for like I said my kids loved grapes to, and I'm going to see if my vet here in town knows anything about it. Take good care of Radar

keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 04:44 AM UTC
Okay. I am just going to suggest that everyone hit the link I posted to the ASPCA poison link.

Shaun
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 05:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Okay. I am just going to suggest that everyone hit the link I posted to the ASPCA poison link.

Shaun

That's a great link Shaun -- thanks!

Tiny bits of toxic stuff probably doesn't affect a large dog like mine, but I can see how it could be devestating to a small dog.Thank goodness Radar slways spits out grapes, though he may have had a few raisins mixed in with other stuff. He's on a diet right now, so he doesn't get much "people food" anymore.

Another terrible toxin that kills many animals each year is antifreeze. It has a sweet smell and taste and lots of animals will readily drink it. If you ever have a leaky radiator, make sure you clean it up before the critters get into it. And don't leave it anywhere in an uncovered container!
Longshanks
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 191 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 11:25 AM UTC
hmmmm.

I'm a littl 50/50 on this.

Our one dog TARA a beautiful German alsation used to eat rasins all the time and never suffered with any problems until the end of her life, when she went blind and deaf, and the day before we went to put her down she died in my dad's arms.

Our second dog CLEO is a whippet and boxer cross breed, she's around 40-50 lbs and once ate her way through the house, Bin, freezer, easter eggs and a fruit basket when we were out one day. The basket which contained a bunch of grapes was completely eaten and she's never really suffered with any illness or peculare behaviour. But she rerally hasn't eaten any grapes since.........

So as you can see I don't really have any proof for either theory.......
 _GOTOTOP