_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
? local hobby ships in Kansas City
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,092 Posts
KitMaker Network: 438 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 10:34 AM UTC
I frequent Kansas City and since Dallas is almost down to only just chain stores(I do need to go to Hobby Maker in Bedford), I was wondering if there are any independant stores in the Kansas City area.

Thanks,
Paul
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 427 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 11:44 AM UTC
Hi,

I live in the Kansas City area. In Overland Park, you have Hobby Haven and Hobbytown, both on Metcalf towards I-435. There are plenty of Michaels and Hobby Lobbys for diorama stuff. Other than that, its mail order for me.
Sorry you missed our IPMS Regional Show last weekend.

Sealhead
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 02:17 PM UTC
There's also George's over in Lawrence that has a pretty good selection of aftermarket stuff, but the shop can be a little tricky to find.

The Hobbytown USA in the north on N. Oak Trafficway is pretty good, too, though I think it was a bit better at its previous location before the tornado hit it last year. IPMS West Central Missouri meets there: http://www.warshipmodels.com/ipms-wcmo/

IPMS Great Plains meets at the Overland Park Community Center: http://www.ipmsgreatplains.com/Administrative%20Docs/meetings.htm

KC AMPS currently meets in Overland Park, but is looking for a new meeting place. Not sure where my might end up right now, but here's the KC AMPS website: http://kcamps.com/

I know you didn't ask about model clubs, but the guys in all these clubs are great and will be more than happy to steer you to what you are looking for. All also have swap meets at least once a year.
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 494 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 05:20 AM UTC
Bob, you forgot the best damn kit supplier in the state, Gordon Kwan of SprueBrothers.com. If you go by his place and pick up stuff straight from him, he generally cuts you a deal. Which is nice on some of the newer stuff. You might see him at the meetings. He even has Gunze Sangyo in now.

Rob
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 09:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Bob, you forgot the best damn kit supplier in the state, Gordon Kwan of SprueBrothers.com. If you go by his place and pick up stuff straight from him, he generally cuts you a deal. Which is nice on some of the newer stuff. You might see him at the meetings. He even has Gunze Sangyo in now.
Rob

(In my best Mary Tyler Moore impersonation) Oh, Rob!!!

He was asking about hobby shops and technically, Gordon isn't one, except on the net and in person. You are correct, though -- he has an exceptionally up-to-date stock at very reasonable prices. Thank goodness for Gordon Kwan at the IPMS regional -- he let me trade that massive hunk of resin ship kit I won in the raffle for stuff I'm more familiar and comfortable with. Great guy, great vendor and great modeler, too.
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,092 Posts
KitMaker Network: 438 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 09:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

SprueBrothers.com

I noticed his location on eBay. That is an option.

I have been to the HobbyTown on Metcalf and it has less armor than the one in Plano but it does have a good magazine section and less of the Warhammer crowd, 'not that there is anything wrong with that'.

Paul
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 494 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 01:28 PM UTC
the one up on Oak has too much R/C stuff for my taste, and not enough aftermarket stuff, but Eric is a good guy.
 _GOTOTOP