Discuss general weathering topics here.
Best colour for chipped paint?
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,439 Posts
KitMaker Network: 283 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2004 - 03:36 AM UTC
Iv used tamyias german grey for a chipped paint look on a jagdtiger.id did it late last night it looked allright until i seen it in the daylight its a bit too light any advice.many thanks
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2004 - 04:29 AM UTC
You could maybe tone it down with a wash, or if you are using an airbrush try lightly misting a dark shade over the kit, it will darken the light grey and tie in all the colours.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2004 - 05:03 AM UTC
To decide what colour to use for chips, try and find out what paint layers were on the original vehicle. For a dunkelgelb tank, then under that you would perhaps find a grey layer (panzer grey lightened by the overlying colour), and under that a red oxide type primer. For allied tanks I've seen vehicles undergoing restoration that show zinc-chromate (yellowish green, usually a US airforce colour), grey and red oxide primer coats under the drab topcoat.
Tobar
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 192 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 03:29 AM UTC
I have used a mixture of Silver and Flat Black.
The more black you use the older the "chip"... Also, mix in some Red Brown to the mix to
get a rusty tone to the color....
jw73
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Zachodniopomorskie, Poland
entire network: 148 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 11:27 PM UTC
Dark gray is also good.
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,312 Posts
KitMaker Network: 871 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2004 - 01:19 AM UTC
Here are some photos of a project I have been working on for a while now. I used the salt technique to create the paint chipping effect. I used Tamiya's German Grey as the base color and then a mix of Desert Yellow and Dark Yellow.

Colt45
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 53 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 04:26 AM UTC
Dark grey is good. If you want a more metallic look, use Humbrol Dark Steel. I usually add a couple of drops of Black Metal Cote to darken it a bit. Follow it with a few washes of black to darken and bring out some of the details.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 05:09 AM UTC
I've driven cars with chipped paint, they don't look metallic for long once the paint is gone. As Neil Young says, "Rust never sleeps." If the vehicle is steel, the exposed metal will be rusty in no time. Look at the rotors on your disk brakes after a couple days of non-use. Alloys in modernvehicles will show less oxidation effects and aluminum will be toned done.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 12:27 PM UTC
Howdy Tigeriv,

You have received a multitude of great answers from equally great modellers so far. So, I will not try to go into any of my techniques, but rather try to answer your question from the point that you have already gotten to...your model is already painted.

At his point you need to think in 'reverse'...meaning, you need to think how that particular vehicle was painted throughout it's life, either Allied or Axis...it had a 'painting history', so try to emulate it in 'reverse'.
In other words....paint 'backwards'. If it was German Field Grey originally, and then 'over-painted' with desrt yellow, apply that in 'reverse'....if it was winter white-wash over German grey, over red oxide primer.....just play the 'tape' backwards.......
hth.

Tread.

the least I can do for a bloke from the NW of England...
GO! Preston North End!!!! #:-)
 _GOTOTOP