History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
German resistence in Bretange until may 1945
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 2,029 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 11:15 PM UTC
I was reading in one of my WW2 books about the Normandy campaign and I noticed a small map of the Brest campaign that took my interest

According to the map some German forces kept theyre positions until may 8, 1945 at Lorient and St. Nazere, and I wonder how they did it, since they where cut off from any reinforcements and supplies.

Does anybody know anything about this event?
E23C
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 238 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 10, 2004 - 02:26 PM UTC
They must have had enough supplies stored away to hold out this long,also the German garrisons in the Channel Islands held out until the end too.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 07:48 PM UTC
These were the Naval ports the Germans used. They would have been well stocked. As they were bypassed during the Normandy invasion and the Germans maintained themselves, they were left in relative peace until the end drew near
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 03:48 AM UTC
the germans in those areas didnt hold out, thats implies some sort of fighting took place, they were largely ignored, as removing them was not a priority. thew eyes of the allies were firmly fixed on paris then berlin!

cheers

joe
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2004 - 01:49 PM UTC
The Germans forces in these ports were fortress troops and basically immobile. If they left there garrisons the former French resistance and allied air forces would have had a field day. The Allies did not need those ports, so why waste lives thrying to clear them. The US and UK were short infantrymen as it was.