_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Modeler's Guide to the Sherman
jackalone72
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 104 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 07:21 AM UTC
Hey Guys,

I have been working on my Shermans for a while now and I have not been able to find these two books the one in the title.Also the R.p Hunnicutt.I know they are OOP so when will they give us new modelers a break and produce a few.Can anyone tell me if they heard they will make some more or where some one has a few left.By the way I saw the R.P Hunnicutt Book for $800 USD.Thats a lot of money for that book .How much was the retail price?

AJ
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 09:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

By the way I saw the R.P Hunnicutt Book for $800 USD.Thats a lot of money for that book .How much was the retail price?

Hunnicutt books were $90 way back in 1991 or so. Modeler's Guide was $18 and change when it first came out. A new revised Sherman modeler's guide is in the works.
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
entire network: 1,796 Posts
KitMaker Network: 479 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 10:42 AM UTC
AJ,
My son told me about a great site. www.bookfinder.com . The site searches several sites for your book.
You can search by author and/or title. Once in a while you can run across a good deal. I look for R P Hunnicutt books almost every day.
Also, I got both the books you mention on e-bay. Again I looked everyday and saved up my pennys. I got the Modeler's guide for about $30.00 and Hunnicutt's Sherman book for $197.00. (I still can't believe that one.)
Good Luck
Chuck
rjray
Visit this Community
entire network: 230 Posts
KitMaker Network: 36 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 01:54 PM UTC
I think the guys at Ampersand Publishing should take a hint from the surge of interest in the Sherman these last few years. Their books on the Kubelwagen and the Tiger are both excellent modelling resources. One on the Sherman would have to be much larger than the Tiger book (since there were so many turret and hull variations, not to mention suspension and track), but I'd gladly pay $50-$60 for a Sherman modeling book the same quality and thoroughness as the Tiger book.

Randy
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 02:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

but I'd gladly pay $50-$60 for a Sherman modeling book the same quality and thoroughness as the Tiger book.

Randy

I second that!
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
entire network: 779 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 02:19 PM UTC
how can entrepreneurs can miss such a great opportunity to make a quick buck just by reprinting an old book, this would benefit everyone, isn't this such a great Idea
jackalone72
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 03:45 PM UTC
Hey Guys,
I say all of us who love and worship the SHERMAN write the Apersand Publishing and demand a rerelease LOL.Lets give it a try and write to them on how it would benifit us and new modelers who want start modeling Shermans.I think with a enough letters of request they will get the hint if not there is something really wrong with them.i will write the first draft and run by you guys and maybe with enough people in demand they will let them go.As for the Hunnicutt book I cant find anything on this book no publisher's website or email adress for any one to request.Ampersand does not have email address either I know why we would bugg the hell out of these guys.

I definitly would recommend these guys look at this site to show how many modelers want more and better books on the Sherman then ones in circulation now.Like everyone has called it we need the "BIBLE".So if anyone is willing to go on this little mission of
"Operation :Requesting the Sherman Books" lets do it.Also if you are going to and dont have there address just put you are willing to write the letter in the reply section here and I will post it for you.If you dont have it.

Good Luck and God Speed
"Remember failure is not a Option"

AJ
DRAGONSLAIN
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
entire network: 779 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 04:20 PM UTC
It'll be agood idea to tell them how much people are paying for it, $800 USD is just ridiculous, if they would sell it for lets say 100? that would be one hell of a good deal
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 04:55 PM UTC
As Rob says above, a new revised version of Ampersand's Modeler's Guide to the Sherman is supposed to be in the works. It will supposedly contain the turret info that was missing from the first version. Lots of us waiting for that one -- especially the yo-yos like me who procrastinated on getting the first edition and ended up being left in the cold.

Luckily, I've had Hunnicutt's Sherman bible since the 80s. A friend had it and I was always borrowing it. One day I went over to his house and noticed another copy sitting on his bookshelf. He told me to keep the one he had "loaned" me -- Happy birthday, Christmas, New Year and Father's Day. Not many friends like that!

After all the crazy prices that are being paid on eBay for the Hunnicut book, I've let the spouse know that if anything ever happens to me, she better make sure she gets fair market value to my dog-eared tome, and not drop it in the Goodwill bin or sell it at a yard sale for a quarter.
jackalone72
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 06:50 PM UTC
Well I am willing to become a pest in there ear for that Sherman Guide and Book.I mean they dont know what kind of value these books have or do they and they like to torture us.Well I am willing to write Ampersand Publishing to requeast a rerelease the Sherman Guide again.Like they will listen to me. I still say whoever doesnt have join me to get these up and just release a few more copies.
Hollowpoint mentioneda new book in the works and we all know it definitly make a kill in the market.Maybe if we are lucky they might release both together.(yeah right )

Lets see what they come out with next.

AJ
rjray
Visit this Community
entire network: 230 Posts
KitMaker Network: 36 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 07:57 PM UTC
I believe the Modeler's Guide to the Sherman was a Verlinden publication, not Ampersand. To my knowledge, Ampersand hasn't done a book on just the Sherman. They've done one on the Kubelwagen (which also covered the Schwimmwagen a bit), one on tracked engineering vehicles and the recent one on the Tiger.

As for the Hunnicutt books, why they do the print ones they do is up to Presidio Press. Recall that the Pershing book used to be the hottest item going, because the plates had been lost in an accident. They finally got around to using modern print technology to essentially "scan" an existing book at very high resolution. And thus, the new release of the Pershing volume a few years ago.

I'm just glad I have my complete set of Hunnicutt, so I don't have to be at the mercy of eBay.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 2,748 Posts
KitMaker Network: 841 Posts
Posted: Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 08:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I believe the Modeler's Guide to the Sherman was a Verlinden publication, not Ampersand. To my knowledge, Ampersand hasn't done a book on just the Sherman. They've done one on the Kubelwagen (which also covered the Schwimmwagen a bit), one on tracked engineering vehicles and the recent one on the Tiger.

No, Randy -- it was Ampersand, the same folks who do MMiR. I think it was their first book aside from the magazine.

And AJ: If they do a second edition, you shouldn't need the first one.
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 12:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've got the MMiR Modeler's Guide to the Sherman by Pete Harlem, number MR-SH001 by Ampersand Publishing. While the foreward of the book is dated 1999, a quick look through my old Squadron Mail Order catalogs lists it in 2001. The MSRP was $19.95, but Squadron sold them for $16.96 (that's where I got mine from).

Incidently, my 2000 Squadron catalog lists the Hunnicutt Sherman book at $84.96 (MSRP $100) and the Hunnicutt Pershing book at $59.96 (MSRP $70).

The MMiR Sherman book is reviewed here: http://pmms.webace.com.au/reviews/books/mmir_sherman.htm
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 02:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I must be doing something right, I just scored the Hunnicutt Sherman book for a buck fifty plus shipping.

Man! You must have some excellent Karma going on.
E-bay?
Chuck
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,667 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 03:17 PM UTC
Hi guys
Purely as an academic excercise i've just searched abebooks and bookfinder and the cheapest i can find the Hunnicutt book is $450, the most expensive is $775
Pete
 _GOTOTOP