_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Super glue
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2002 - 10:02 AM UTC
Okay is it me or are these glues getting WEAK . I mean they use to glue like a mother now it seems more is required. Does anybody else see the same thing maybe afraid of lawsuits when little Johnny glues his face to table or something along those lines. well got that one off my chest. Darn these PE parts are driving me crazy #:-)
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2002 - 10:43 AM UTC
Just a couple of questions for you:
How old is it? - it has a shelf-life if not stored properly.
Where do you store it? - heat and humidity can decrease shelf-life and possibly weaken it's bonding properties.
Are the two parts you're glueing smooth? They work best when both surfaces being mated are smoothed of any bumps and or nicks. (yes, these are tiny ones that factor in)
Are you allowing plenty of time for full cure? Even though they hold together in near no time, several hours are needed for a full cure. (avoid heat induced cures, best when done on their own)
Are any of the above a possible factor?

Best way to store it is in the refrigerator. Just allow it to reach room temp. before using it. I've been using the same for nearly 10 years this way...no problems...yet.
cdave
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 545 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2002 - 11:25 AM UTC
Hey bro,

First off, yes the glue that you are using may be getting old and weak. Yet, I do know that a MSDS that I still have from twelve years ago (compared to today's0 does list a decreasion of one active ingreadent.

Thus, your premise is possible. THe companys are trying to offset the enevitable lawsuit.

Dave
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2002 - 05:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just a couple of questions for you:
How old is it? - it has a shelf-life if not stored properly.
Where do you store it? - heat and humidity can decrease shelf-life and possibly weaken it's bonding properties.
Are the two parts you're glueing smooth? They work best when both surfaces being mated are smoothed of any bumps and or nicks. (yes, these are tiny ones that factor in)
Are you allowing plenty of time for full cure? Even though they hold together in near no time, several hours are needed for a full cure. (avoid heat induced cures, best when done on their own)
Are any of the above a possible factor?

Best way to store it is in the refrigerator. Just allow it to reach room temp. before using it. I've been using the same for nearly 10 years this way...no problems...yet.

All brand new bought from store don't know how long they have had it.
Kept in a/c house not in fridge. I allways thought that super glue set by moisture?
Smooth as the baby bottom thing.
Yes most set overnight,bond is their but weak,I usually cleanup area to be glued to with either acetone or Lacquer thinner plus allways clean metal with lacquer thinner
when I use to fly R/C airplanes and built all those kits I used a lot of this stuff and it was stronger back about 8 or 10 years ago. I still think it is lawsuit related
Will try the fridge thing should it be stored in a container ? I use to store in a container with silica gel packets to absorb the moisture from the air.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 4,268 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,174 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2002 - 10:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...should it be stored in a container ?

I don't use any container other than the one the glue comes in.
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 602 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2002 - 10:30 PM UTC
HEAT IS BAD
it needs to be stored in a cool place
 _GOTOTOP